Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 12:54:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S2000 and Vision Games.
| | |-+  Dead MPU?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dead MPU?  (Read 27488 times)
CVslots
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 432

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2013, 02:07:41 PM »

Yes, I thought it was good board and still completely blacked out. Maybe I'm confused on "complete black out". Does the machine light up at least? Just no BV or other signs of life?

Just for kicks, check the pins on the back of the MPU...

Harvs
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 218

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2013, 02:13:01 PM »

Heres a picture of the mess of wires that connect to the bv and bulb behind. And before this 'blackout' happened with the machine, the BV did cycle like normal. Is there a fuse or fuses somewhere in the machine?

* bv3.JPG (244.16 KB, 968x1296 - viewed 217 times.)
CVslots

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2013, 02:15:55 PM »

So pull out the BV and power on the machine. We've seen issues that would only occur when the BV was in the machine. If I remember correctly, they were NetPlex or display issues, but worth a try either way.

Harvs
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2013, 02:18:25 PM »

Yes, I thought it was good board and still completely blacked out. Maybe I'm confused on "complete black out". Does the machine light up at least? Just no BV or other signs of life?

Just for kicks, check the pins on the back of the MPU...
Sorry for the confusion.. I have posted problems on 2 machines..

The 'blackout refers to the Tabasco. It was working then mid spin just stopped and display went blank. All florescent bulbs stayed on. I just mean the functions 'blacked out'. Kinda like me after a rough night.. ha

All I get now is a on,off,on,etc subtle sound/buzz in the speakers along with the backlit reel lights following that same on,off,on...
CVslots

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2013, 02:35:24 PM »

Thanks for clarifying! Now, someone's gonna have to back me up (heck, or shoot me down, either way, we need a 2nd opinion) on this, but I think it could still be related to your BV. I remember a post explaining that both the display and the BV are both NetPlex devices and if one fails, it could cause faults/issues with other NetPlex devices.

What does it do when powered on with the BV out?

Harvs
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2013, 02:40:36 PM »

Thanks for clarifying! Now, someone's gonna have to back me up (heck, or shoot me down, either way, we need a 2nd opinion) on this, but I think it could still be related to your BV. I remember a post explaining that both the display and the BV are both NetPlex devices and if one fails, it could cause faults/issues with other NetPlex devices.

What does it do when powered on with the BV out?
With it removed it does exactly the same. I also tried it after disconnecting both the bv and printer.

Just seems odd that it was acting this way when I first turned it on when I got it.. Then after getting it up and running it did the same during normal play. Do MPU's act that way? Or could it be a loose wire.. The only thing I did to mess with the machine before it 'blacked out' was screw the candle on because it was dangling.
CVslots

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2013, 03:43:59 PM »

No bent pins on board either? Sounds similar to symptoms seen with a bad chip or a chip is in backwards, but you said it was working fine at one point.  Scratch Head It's obviously MPU related/driven if it works fine with the other board. I've never seen an MPU do that personally, but it is entirely possible. They ARE the brains of the outfit!

cowboygames
Abbys Dad

Total Karma Storms: 680

Happiness in life is a great dog

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2013, 03:54:42 PM »

Unplug the input to all your lighting ballasts and see if it helps any
Harvs
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2013, 04:14:30 PM »

Unplug the input to all your lighting ballasts and see if it helps any
Just tried that. Same issues....

Harvs
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2013, 04:17:46 PM »

No bent pins on board either? Sounds similar to symptoms seen with a bad chip or a chip is in backwards, but you said it was working fine at one point.  Scratch Head It's obviously MPU related/driven if it works fine with the other board. I've never seen an MPU do that personally, but it is entirely possible. They ARE the brains of the outfit!

No bent pins.. I was thinking the bad chip thing also. I guess I will know in a few days when I test the new board. Could I pop a certain chip out and turn on to see or is that a bad idea?
CVslots

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2013, 04:33:05 PM »

Won't run if you remove any chips...it is unlikely a chip WENT bad suddenly. Since you have seen the game play with that MPU and chipset, it sounds like all chips are in order, unless any were removed/reinstalled since then.

It's just gotta be the board then...if it plays fine with a different board in.

cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2013, 04:35:48 PM »

You could try turning it on with various periferal devices unplugged each time to see if something is shorted and killing it.

I've had a shorted candle cause all kinds of problems
Harvs
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2013, 04:40:16 PM »

You could try turning it on with various periferal devices unplugged each time to see if something is shorted and killing it
What devices should I disconnect one by one? I wouldn't want to disconnect something and fry another part. I have tried the BV, printer, and ballasts. I also swapped the I/O's and they work fine. Swap reels? Wish I could post a vid of the situation.
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2013, 05:31:01 PM »

Sounds like you've tried most everything other than maybe the candle. You might also look at unplugging power to the backlight control boardand check for wires shorted together around the button panel
Harvs
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2013, 05:49:31 PM »

Sounds like you've tried most everything other than maybe the candle. You might also look at unplugging power to the backlight control boardand check for wires shorted together around the button panel
Checked out the candle, tried unplugging all the things mentioned. No luck..

Once the new MPU arrives I will go through and look for shorted wires. Hopefully the board just happen to take a shat and nothing else. We shall see.

Thanks for the help guys! and gals.. If theres anything else to try just let me know.

Harvey
CVslots

« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2013, 08:24:22 PM »

The board left today, so you should see it in 2-3 days...and it must be your lucky day, you were upgraded to a 504B board for free! Thanks to us running out of tested 502s and me biding too lazy to test any more!  rotflmao

Harvs
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2013, 08:54:56 PM »

The board left today, so you should see it in 2-3 days...and it must be your lucky day, you were upgraded to a 504B board for free! Thanks to us running out of tested 502s and me biding too lazy to test any more!  rotflmao
Sweet! I'll take 100 more 502's right now.. Ha

Thanks again Roz!
Harvs
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2013, 07:22:25 PM »

Thanks for the MPU Roz! Up and running.. One last issue

Now on to the BV issue.. It doesn't do its normal routine when the machine is turned on.. It doesn't light up or anything. I can toggle the switch on the right side to force it to run but once I put the toggle switch back it just sits.

Here is a picture of the BV with the wires I mentioned before disconnected. I did turn the machine off and connect them with no luck.

Any tips? Other then not to eat yellow snow?

Thanks,

HarveZ

* bv.JPG (302.68 KB, 968x1296 - viewed 227 times.)

* bv1.JPG (323.36 KB, 1296x968 - viewed 285 times.)
CVslots

« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2013, 07:39:09 PM »

Ummm....how about "Plant your corn early"??? That's a good tip!  yes

I just seen it is an older MEI BV unit. I am not familiar with them at all except for use in Odyssey machines. Hopefully, someone else around here is? We really don't even know if it has the right software for IGT do, since it has never operated for you.

An e it doesn't cycle when the machine is first turned on, I would wonder if it is receiving power? We also need to see if it is in enabled in the menu.

Harvs
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2013, 07:58:51 PM »

Ummm....how about "Plant your corn early"??? That's a good tip!  yes

I just seen it is an older MEI BV unit. I am not familiar with them at all except for use in Odyssey machines. Hopefully, someone else around here is? We really don't even know if it has the right software for IGT do, since it has never operated for you.

An e it doesn't cycle when the machine is first turned on, I would wonder if it is receiving power? We also need to see if it is in enabled in the menu.
It's enabled.. It is connected and I can make it cycle through by toggling the switch on the right side of the unit.. BUT.. then it just sits, no lights, no nothing..
PLUNGER BOY
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 255

plunger buddies DEAD BOO HOO

« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2013, 10:52:55 PM »

Does your other machine BVD unit work ? try swapping it out . Having a working machine to test parts from take a lot of guessing out of the problem .P.B.

SELL me your  TERMINATOR  I GAME TOP GLASS AND BELLY   ( Round Top )
Harvs
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2013, 11:18:46 PM »

Does your other machine BVD unit work ? try swapping it out . Having a working machine to test parts from take a lot of guessing out of the problem .P.B.
Yes. I can give give that a shot..
Harvs
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2013, 02:39:13 AM »

Yes. I can give give that a shot..
I haven't swapped the BV's yet seeing they are totally different and I haven't done that before.. But I did try to 'test' the BV in the menu and I get nothing.. It doesn't even give me an option, spin does noting when in that menu. I'm thinking there's no communication between? Ideas? Or just swap?

Thanks
CVslots

« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2013, 03:00:03 AM »

I'm sure you could swap it, then Re-Configure NetPlex Devices in the menu, and the other BV will work, but that really doesn't solve why this MEI isn't working for you...

Are there any identifiers on the MEI? Like Software Version?

To be honest, I've never seen that model of MEI in a pn S2000, but I'm sheltered.... Help

Harvs
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2013, 03:10:49 AM »

I'm sure you could swap it, then Re-Configure NetPlex Devices in the menu, and the other BV will work, but that really doesn't solve why this MEI isn't working for you...

Are there any identifiers on the MEI? Like Software Version?

To be honest, I've never seen that model of MEI in a pn S2000, but I'm sheltered.... Help
A chip under the unit says 2.23.. There are also dip switches which I have no clue where they should be.. No luck with searches..

Place another order Roz???? Maybe add that Bulls-eye kit with strips, chips to run on my S2000, and find me a choptop top glass... All for the price of a replacement BV... Cool?, I'll even send you this one for free..

Hahaha..

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.