Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 09:52:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Arcade Games, Pinball, Crane Games, Redemption Games and Other Stuff
| |-+  Arcade Games **Video**
| | |-+  Help! Capcom with corrupted graphics
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Help! Capcom with corrupted graphics  (Read 3528 times)
Iwein
« on: October 29, 2009, 06:08:00 AM »

Hello,

i have a capcom final fight with corrupt graphics. I have only one set so it's not possible to swap boards for testing. At first sight the signals to the eprom's are good. I see no visual dammage or bend pins on the backside from the pcb's.

pictures from the graphics in the attachments.

Anny sugestions?

Greetings from Holland,
Iwein

* 25102009118_s.JPG (105.21 KB, 1037x778 - viewed 212 times.)

* 25102009120_s.JPG (133.89 KB, 1037x778 - viewed 214 times.)
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 10:57:29 AM »

Welcome to NLG Iwein wave

I split your post into a new topic and moved it to the Arcade Games: Video board. Hopefully, one of our members will be able to help you with your issue.

StatFreak garfield
nlg  Global Moderator

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
channelmaniac
Surface mount soldering geek
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 568

Few things are better than fixing an old game...

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 02:03:52 PM »

Ewww...

I hate working on Capcom boards with that problem.

CPS1 boards can have that problem show up for a variety of reasons...

#1: Look for any physical damage, liquid spills, messed up traces, etc...

#2: Check to see if the C board is bad. Push firmly down on the surface mount chip and see if the corruption changes. If so, resolder that big chip.

#3: Remove and reseat the boards.

#4: Check the board interconnects with a continuity test to see if each pin is making contact.

#5: Test each graphics ROM in an EPROM programmer. Compare the checksums against the ROMIDENT database.

#6: Swap the A board. It's most likely a problem with the big custom chip there.

RJ

I have too many hobbies! Electronics, gunsmithing, Miatas, arcade games, metal detecting, etc...

http://www.arcadecomponents.com
Iwein
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 01:32:40 PM »

Update:

#1: no damage and evrything looks ok (already done before the first post)
#2: no changes when pushing at the surface mount chip, reflowed the solder to be sure, no changes
#3: already done before the first post
#4: still to do
#5: roms tested, compared with romident, OK
#6: i have no other boards to swap:-(

Only thing left is testing the connectors, if this is test is ok the board goes to the shelf.

Greetings and thanks from Holland,

Iwein
nightmaretony
In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 100

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 04:55:20 AM »

Looks like sprite addressing to me. the background layer is a set of tiled sprites with a repeating pattern. BEST BET: if the pins are fairly long and sharp on manu chips, cut them down flush with a pair of cutters. Two may be touching which would cause that kind of goofiness, especially in the graphics eprom area.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.