Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 07:21:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  General NLG Chat
| |-+  The Slot Shop **Tech Talk**
| | |-+  Bally 5500 issue
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bally 5500 issue  (Read 13043 times)
Rmasters3
« on: April 22, 2010, 01:30:35 PM »

I've got a Bally 5500 round top that had a bad power supply.  Power supply has been replaced and I also got the clear chips and went through that procedure, several times.  Each time while attempting to clear the ram the win/credit LED's show all 9's--nothing else.  This blinks off & on periodically during the clear effort.  I get a chugging noise out of the hopper, but the procedure seems to go that far and no farther.  When I replace the clear chips with the original ram chips, the same "83 F" code comes abck in win/credit.  Label inside machine shows an "83" code as being "Safe Ram Error" (no mention of the "F").   

I believe I'm doing the RAM Clear right-chips in-jumper moved to both terminals, push and hold Pseudo Coin & Test on start up. 

The hopper board has two buttons, and when I push these--the hopper turns slowly forward and will spit coins, but in reverse it stalls. 

Response to my e-mail are fine: Rmasters3@fuse.net

Thanks!

Any help?
CVslots
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 432

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 01:39:50 PM »

Hi,
All 9's usually means that the board isn't seated in all of the way or one of your chips are not installed correctly or a bent leg on one of them. The 83F after a clear needs to be followed by a clear with just the jumper and not the clear chips.
Hope this helps.

Darrell

Rmasters3
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 02:30:15 PM »

Thanks for the reply.  I checked to be sure the board was seating and I believe it is.  Whether the jumper is used or not, I still get 9's across the window.  Could the clear chips be mislabeled?  I've checked to be sure they are in the right sockets, and looked them over with a good magnifier for bent or broken lges, but don't see that.

I did previously find a leg out of place and maybe not making contact on the U51 chip, but that also looks to be corrected.  Any other thoughts?
rslots
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 7

I can fix it!

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 04:49:10 PM »

It would appear that you do not have the correct clear chips.  I replace all the mains in every S5500 with a set that does not require clear chips so all you need to do in the future is jumper at JW10 to do a clear.  Hate even messing with those clear chips. 

Jim
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 05:17:55 PM »

I agree with rslots. If you do have to purchase new chips, I would buy a set of '95 Mains (ME920000) instead of a new set of clear chips. Then all you will need to do to clear the machine is set the jumper.

The 5500's eat batteries for lunch, so you'll typically have to deal with clearing it every year or two (as compared with IGT and Wms machines in which batteries last 10-15 years), unless you solder in a battery holder that sits outside the board so that you can change the battery with the power on. But that's another project... Tongue Out

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
Rmasters3
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 08:37:15 PM »

Where do you recommend I go for a set of the "95 mains?  The ones that only require the jumper to clear.

FWIW: the chips in mine are dated "95.

Danke
StatFreak

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 10:27:16 PM »

Where do you recommend I go for a set of the "95 mains?  The ones that only require the jumper to clear.

FWIW: the chips in mine are dated "95.

Danke

Scratch Head  That's odd. Are you sure that they are actually dated 1995 and are not the ME950000 series?

I just posted seven minutes ago here.

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
Rmasters3
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 06:59:25 AM »

You are dealing with a rookie here--how do I determine which chip is which?  They are labeled, but I don't know the difference.
StatFreak

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 08:58:29 AM »

Here is a picture of the board. The front of the board is to the right in the picture. The four chips on the bottom (which would be on your left as you removed the board from the machine) are the mains, and the two on the top (which would be on the right) are the personality chips. The personality chips contain the reel and paytable data and are the actual "game" that you are playing. The Mains contain the program that runs the slot machine.

You can see that the notches in each of my chips, indicated by the yellow arrows, are pointing towards the left, which is towards the back of the board. There is also an outline of the notch printed on the board under each chip.

If you look at my mains, they are labeled ME920000-C-0 through C-3, indicated in green, (actually, the second set are labeled SE instead of ME, but they come as a set.) They are inserted in sockets U15, U12, U4, and U3 respectively. You can see the socket numbers on the board itself, indicated in red. If you have original chips installed, they will have the socket numbers on the labels as well, but you might not have an original set.

If you look at my two personality chips in U20 and U18, the 4-digit number on the top right of the label is the specific game that I have, indicated in blue. Mine chips are SMI 5962, which is Blazing Sevens 3-coin Buy-a-pay with a 92.83% payback. To get that information, you have to have the PAR* sheet for your specific SMI number or a sheet with a list of SMI's and their payouts. (*Paytable And Reel)

If you just tell our vendors that you want a set of '95 Mains that don't require the clear chip, they will get you the right set. The only thing that you will have to remember is to put them in the right sockets with the tabs pointing in the correct direction and without bending any pins.

* DSC_0880.sm.m.jpg (718.59 KB, 1200x798 - viewed 306 times.)

StatFreak

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 09:10:22 AM »

P.S. Many members use a bent screwdriver to remove the chips, but I highly recommend the EX-2 tool.
It is specifically designed to remove 24-40pin* DIP chips like the ones we use in slots. It fits over the chip and pulls it straight up.
*They make a smaller one, which you don't want.

<ADD> Here is a link Digikey EX-2

Do NOT use this tool!! It is a PLCC extractor and will do more harm than good when extracting DIP chips.
If you don't have the EX-2 tool above, you're better off using a bent screwdriver than this thing!

« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 09:29:01 AM by StatFreak » Logged

jdkmunch
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 624

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 10:33:05 AM »

P.S. Many members use a bent screwdriver to remove the chips, but I highly recommend the EX-2 tool.
It is specifically designed to remove 24-40pin* DIP chips like the ones we use in slots. It fits over the chip and pulls it straight up.
*They make a smaller one, which you don't want.

<ADD> Here is a link Digikey EX-2

Do NOT use this tool!! It is a PLCC extractor and will do more harm than good when extracting DIP chips.
If you don't have the EX-2 tool above, you're better off using a bent screwdriver than this thing!

That's the truth -  that evil  PLCC extractor cost me a few bucks in broken boards before I knew what I was doing.     --   Come to think of it I still don't know what I'm doing -  I just threw the PLCC tool out.
StatFreak

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 10:49:02 AM »

Cry Laughing Cry Laughing Cry Laughing  They are good for PLCC chips, ya' know!  Crazy

PLCC's are those square chips with teeny pins on all four sides. They fit into square sockets that look like little spas (hot tubs). frying pan arrow
Seriously, if you look at those square PLCC sockets, they have small notches at the corners designed just for PLCC extractor tools.
It's all about using the right tool for the right job. boss  At least, that's what she told me the last time she grabbed that battery operated device...  Duh! banghead  bust gut laughing bust gut laughing bust gut laughing

jdkmunch
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 624

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 10:58:12 AM »

lol

* jackhammer.gif (30.21 KB, 321x495 - viewed 502 times.)
StatFreak

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 11:01:10 AM »

lol

Tongue Out
I resized it to more realistic proportions.  Sherlock Smiley   Crazy Crazy Crazy Cry Laughing Cry Laughing Cry Laughing

Rmasters3
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 12:08:07 PM »

Here's what I have.  Looks like what you've got.  First photo is with clear chips installed, second photo shows original chips, numbered in ink to remind me where to re-insert. 

* four best.JPG (690.44 KB, 1488x1984 - viewed 270 times.)
Rmasters3
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2010, 12:09:46 PM »

Second picture--original chips, numbered in ink as to socket 12 & 15 (which I hope I didn't screw up).

* P1010006.JPG (700.95 KB, 1984x1488 - viewed 264 times.)
rslots

I can fix it!

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2010, 12:39:54 PM »

I don't think you need clear chips.  Try without and just jumper JW10 (front of the board by the processor) and hold down the pseudo coin and test buttons and turn on the machine and watch for the CHC followed CLC on the winner paid display. 

Jim
StatFreak

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2010, 01:39:38 PM »

I don't think you need clear chips.  Try without and just jumper JW10 (front of the board by the processor) and hold down the pseudo coin and test buttons and turn on the machine and watch for the CHC followed CLC on the winner paid display. 
Me, too! Agree with Post

Make sure that you press the buttons firmly before turning on the machine, and that you continue holding them until you verify that you see the CHC in the display. Only then should you let go. The display should then change to CLC after a couple of seconds.

SF garfield

StatFreak

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2010, 01:48:40 PM »

By the way, the SMI7905 for your five-line Double Jackpot Triple Blazing Sevens pays back only 85.95% with max bet.
The bet paying chip for your game is the SMI7908 at 93.94%.

Rmasters3
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2010, 03:41:27 PM »

A couple things happened--I did the RAM clear with the original chips in place of the RAM clears I had.  That seemed to work.  While re-inserting the MPU board tray, from somewhere, a nickel dropped down to the machine base.  Lord knows if this was in a place that caused the 99999 code, but after that the machine on start-up, with the jumper back to one post, the machine went through what I describe as a start-up sequence.  

The Win/Pay window now displays two decimal points in the upper section and one 0 each in the Coin In and Credit windows.  Bet, Spin and other buttons are not lit, red Change will light.

But I cannot get it to accept a coin nor does the bill acceptor take currency.  

FWIW, I also replaced the two 470mfd electrolytic caps on the MPU board--$1.29 each at Radio Shack.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 03:48:20 PM by Rmasters3 » Logged
rslots

I can fix it!

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2010, 07:30:35 PM »

Seems like it started OK.  You may now have some other nonrelated issues.  Make sure the coin mech switch on the MPU board is up so it will take coins.  Your bet, spin and other buttons will not light up until you get credits on the machine. 

Jim
StatFreak

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2010, 07:43:20 PM »

Is the coin mech toggle switch turned on? It's on the front of the MPU tray next to all the other buttons you've been pressing.  arrow

P.S. Two dots is normal and signifies that the door has just been closed.

<ADD> Oops. Weird Eyes  Sorry rslots, I didn't see that a new page had been started. frying pan I just clicked reply at the bottom of the first page.  Bad Stat Spank

garfield

Rmasters3
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2010, 08:36:23 PM »

I think we have a winner.  Flipping the coin mechanism toggle switch made it work.  Haven't tried a bill yet, but I was told there's an upgraded acceptor for bills.  Will play it a bit more in the next few days and report.

Any sort of maintenance I should perform? 

Thanks very much for the help.   
StatFreak

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2010, 08:43:09 PM »

I think we have a winner.  Flipping the coin mechanism toggle switch made it work.  Haven't tried a bill yet, but I was told there's an upgraded acceptor for bills.  Will play it a bit more in the next few days and report.
Thanks very much for the help.   

Congratulations Glad to hear that you've got it up and running. applause applause  Now you can post pictures of your machine in the best hits at home thread when you hit a large payout. Or just post some here anyway. wave

Any sort of maintenance I should perform? 

Crazy Duh! frying pan Crazy Duh! frying pan Crazy Duh! frying pan  Cry Laughing Cry Laughing Cry Laughing Cry Laughing Cry Laughing Cry Laughing Cry Laughing Cry Laughing
 slap pie in face

StatFreak

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2010, 08:46:38 PM »

Cry Laughing Cry Laughing Cry Laughing Cry Laughing Cry Laughing  I'm sorry, I'm still laughing!   Maintenance? Yeah, change the battery and do a clear!  frying pan frying pan frying pan

NO Don't!!   Play your machine and ENJOY IT.  The Wave Dancing Party Celebrate

Stat garfield

P.S. K+ for the getting the machine up and running, and another in 12 hours for the laugh.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.