Feedback Thread

(1/17) > >>

channelmaniac:
If you have feedback on this forum area please share it!

Is there something bugging you about the posts? Have these helped you? Am I leaving out important information? Is there something you have a question about that isn't answered here? Please let me know.

I post on these forums:

NewLifeGames.net
Neo-Geo.com
KLOV.com
pcenginefx.com (currently down)
and a couple more obscure ones...

And have fixed games for those forum members plus for customers off of my website. Many of these game boards have very little repair documentation available - no schematics, no troubleshooting guides, etc - just like the slots that most of the members here like to play with. This is my way of paying back the gaming community - posting how boards have been repaired and by posting how-to guides along with hardware documentation.

This thread is for the members here and anybody that found these threads by searching Yahoo!, Google, etc... who have found them helpful. It's also for folks that want to tell me if I make a mistake. All I ask is that people don't tell me it stinks but rather why it stinks so it can be improved.

Thanks,

Raymond

Thor777:
WoW...The CoCO...I have one of the first (silver) units with cassette, single side 5" floppy drive (cost me hundreds at the time)...My favorite game was Dungons of Daggorth !!!

Mine is still working fine..although I did have to also take apart the keyboard for cleaning sticky keys...

BTW..I have the origional Technical Reference Manual for the Tandy 1000TL if someone ever needs it...and I'm sure I have it for the CoCo 1 but it might take me a while to dig that up

tjkeller:
THANKS channelmaniac for sharing your knowledge and keeping this infomation a part of this forum!

channelmaniac:
That was the computer I started with back in the early 80s. It was also my first shot at hardware hacking and repair. It brings back LOTS of memories!

The day it was out of warranty I ordered a 64k memory upgrade kit for $59.95 + shipping and installed it myself. (I was in middle school!)

A few months later I was building a custom game cartridge and plugged it in with the power on. OOPS. Dead computer. I ordered a replacement 6809E CPU and my uncle replaced it. It was soldered in so he removed it and socketed it as I didn't have THAT level of soldering skills then. ;)

My uncle was one of the guys that helped to shape my life and love of electronics. He had a TV repair shop and showed me the finer arts of troubleshooting: Break down the circuitry into blocks and use your 5 senses. Breaking it down into blocks lets you narrow down where the problem will be. Using your 5 senses will allow you to notice things that could be the problem. These techniques work wonders when you don't have schematics. Master them and you'll be able to fix many different things. He was right.

I remeber my first lesson in this. I had a color TV that had no vertical output. It was nothing but a flat line on the screen. I had schematics but no idea were to start. I learned about the sections of a TV: tuner, power supply, IF, horizontal oscillator, horizontal output, vertical output, and the high voltage sections. In this case he said "Change this tube. Also, see this resistor? Check it. I bet you'll find it bad." He was right, it was charcoal. I replaced it and the tube and the set had a beautiful picture.

Thor777:
BTW...Did ya all know there is a Emulator out their that can be used to run CoCo games and software on your current computer???

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page