Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 03:48:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S2000 and Vision Games.
| | |-+  Ok, so is there a trick going from led reels to standard incandescent?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ok, so is there a trick going from led reels to standard incandescent?  (Read 14234 times)
rickhunter
SMAA Founder and Chairman
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 226

I Void Warranties

« on: September 06, 2013, 08:22:55 PM »

My 5 reel S2000 came with led reels which have the wide baskets.  So I get a couple of kits that come with the narrow reels and a buy a whole narrow 5 reel set with shelf and harness.  I hook it up, and the backlights don't work.  I get this picture.  It has been mentioned here many times the that led backlight controller is compatible with incandescent reels, but they don't even work in the test.  The intensity changes, on the 3 reels that are lit and only on the lights that are lit.
The picture shows the controller I have and the result with the incandescent reels.  The lights that are on, stay on always.  In the backlight testing, only the lit sections blink and change intensity, the two leftmost reels never light up.

* reel controller.jpg (421.14 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 151 times.)

* image.jpeg (108.51 KB, 640x480 - viewed 148 times.)

A slot collector is like a coin hopper in a machine that never pays out.  they just keep on accumulating assets.
cartman765
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 1188

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 08:46:00 PM »

Do you have the cable that hooks up to the cabnet I/O to the back lite controller? If you leave those lights on bright like that it will melt the plastic around the bulbs.
rickhunter

I Void Warranties

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 09:02:24 PM »

Yes, it's hooked up.  I had the 5 reel shelf with the LEDs on it and they were working.  I replaced the shelf and the harness.  The two other connectors (to power and to I/O) were never unplugged.  When I do the test, the lights that you see lit changed intensity and blinked, but only the ones that are lit up.  So now I'm thinking that the LED controller is NOT compatible with incandescent lights as previously stipulated on this site.  I will go ahead and buy an incandescent 5 reel controller to verify that.  There is an 8 pin black connector on the controller, I'm wondering if there's some kind of jumper combination that goes in there to tell the controller that incandescent lights are hooked up.  Someone in a previous thread posted a photo of their "standard" controller which looks like the one I have that drives my LED reels, but he seems to have a couple of jumpers inside the black connector.  It's difficult to tell for sure though, not enough resolution on the photo to zoom in and see.

http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=22954.msg181616#msg181616

For the record, I reconnected my wide led reels/shelf/harness and the backlight behaves correctly in the I/O testing.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 10:02:06 PM by rickhunter » Logged

A slot collector is like a coin hopper in a machine that never pays out.  they just keep on accumulating assets.
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

Total Karma Storms: 680

Happiness in life is a great dog

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 09:40:46 PM »

I'm gonna guess the backlight controller isn't backwards compatible or needs the dip switches changed somehow to make it work. Ex kept for testing I wouldn't leave it plugged in very long
rickhunter

I Void Warranties

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 10:00:27 PM »

I didn't.  It was probably one for 2 or 3 minutes in total as I was trying to figure out what else to do.  I eventually just put everything back to LEDS and left it that way so my mother could play.  I will go ahead and get a 5 reel incandescent controller and have at it.  I'm wondering if someone here is running a 5 reel incandescent setup using that particular controller and if so, if there are jumpers inside the 8 ping connector in the middle of the board.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 10:08:24 PM by rickhunter » Logged

cartman765
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 1188

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 10:37:17 PM »

i have the same controller on my 5 reel game and it has incandescent bulbs in them and they work fine.
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 10:52:44 PM »

You guys should compare jumper and dip switch settings.
Rickhunter, Does your harness have two plugs going to the backlight controller from the reels?
rickhunter

I Void Warranties

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 12:20:29 AM »

i have the same controller on my 5 reel game and it has incandescent bulbs in them and they work fine.

Anyway I could bug you to remove the metal plate and look at the 8 pin black connector that is in the middle of the board to see if there are any jumpers on those pins?  I am really confused now, I'm wondering if there is more than 1 version of this board?

You guys should compare jumper and dip switch settings.
Rickhunter, Does your harness have two plugs going to the backlight controller from the reels?

Yes the harness I am using has the 5 reel connectors, the black connector to the motherboard, and two other connectors that go to the backlight controller.  Also there are no dipswitches on my controller on either side of the board.

cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 12:45:54 AM »

My bad Rick, I went and looked at my backstock of boards. I have one LED board and see the socket you're talking about. No jumpers. My incandescent boards have the dipswitch controls with 4 switches. I have 5 of these and the only difference I noticed on them is that 1 of the 5 is set different than all the others. I wonder if the dipswitch settings determine whether it's 3, 4 or 5 reel machine control? Anyway, if it ends up you need a regular board let me know and we can work something out
rickhunter

I Void Warranties

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 12:43:20 AM »

anybody else have any thoughts?  There's got to be someone here that went from led to incandescent to be able to use the narrower reel strips.

CVslots

Total Karma Storms: 432

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 01:00:42 AM »

My bad Rick, I went and looked at my backstock of boards. I have one LED board and see the socket you're talking about. No jumpers. My incandescent boards have the dipswitch controls with 4 switches. I have 5 of these and the only difference I noticed on them is that 1 of the 5 is set different than all the others. I wonder if the dipswitch settings determine whether it's 3, 4 or 5 reel machine control? Anyway, if it ends up you need a regular board let me know and we can work something out

What's your dips set at? On the 4 and on the 1??? I've got just 2 LED in hand to compare, but what the heck, we're this deep, we should try and figure this out....but the I cant even tell you what these boards came out of, so I really might not be any help...

Just a couple-four new 5 reel games in today though, they may hold a clue.

TZtech

Total Karma Storms: 129

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 07:38:57 AM »

Going through electronics and parts listing I have 3 different boards

Still trying to find info on what the differences are.
rickhunter

I Void Warranties

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 09:56:54 AM »

Going through electronics and parts listing I have 3 different boards

Still trying to find info on what the differences are.

3 reel controller part #76924100 has 3 molex on top and one on the side
5 reel controller part #76926800   has 2 molex on top and 2 on the side
5 reel LED controller part #76936300 has 2 white molex and 1 black molex on top, 2 on the left side,  a black dual row molex on the right side, and another pair of black molex on the bottom.

qbert
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 30

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2013, 02:04:02 PM »

Rick
You probably already know this but the 5 reel LED harness and the 5 reel Non LED harnesses are different and not compatable.
The LED harness has a black connector on the motherboard end with a black and a white connector on the controller board end. P/N 62303000
The non LED has a black connector on the motherboard end and two white connectors on the controller end. P/N 60753605
The controller you have should work with both types of reels you just need the correct harness.

Hope this helps
Rich
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 02:13:39 PM by qbert » Logged
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2013, 02:32:16 PM »

Scratch Head I agree, but his first post stated he got the new harness with the new reels
qbert
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2013, 02:39:47 PM »

I thought the same but look at this quote:
 "Yes, it's hooked up.  I had the 5 reel shelf with the LEDs on it and they were working.  I replaced the shelf and the harness.  The two other connectors (to power and to I/O) were never unplugged. "

If he never unplugged the power and IO he is using the same harness. Scratch Head

I'm pretty sure this is a harness issue.
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2013, 02:46:07 PM »

I see your point yes Looked to me like the IO and power weren't unplugged because he never changed the controller, but the 2 harness plugs were because a new harness came with the new reels. We need pictures I guess.

I backdoored this issue once by disassembling the wide reel baskets and remaking them into narrow ones so I could keep the LED backlighting. Might be the only set of narrow backlit reels out there now, lol, but I used brand new reels to do it so they should last longer than me
rickhunter

I Void Warranties

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2013, 02:58:10 PM »

I am using the incandescent harness.  I totally removed the LED harness.  The power and I/O are independent of the harness used as one goes to the power supply and the other goes to the I/O board.  So just to be clear, the incandescent harness has 8 plugs.  5 go to reels, 1 goes to motherboard reel connector, and 2 go to the backlight controller.  Then there are two additional plugs in the backlight controller, one to power and one to I/O.  These are all all connected and the results are as posted.  It has been suggested that maybe enhanced board behave differently and that I may need to go over to a 504B setup.  I am assuming also that the harness that goes to the I/O board is the same in both cases?

cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2013, 03:04:40 PM »

That's possible and worth a try, but is the insinuation that a newer enhanced board can't properly control the newer backwards compatible backlight controller? I would think it would be the other way around and the older 504 couldn't function properly with the newer backlight controller. I'm guessing you don't have ANY other backlight boards to try?
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2013, 03:12:58 PM »

Here we go Rick, based on the possibility you may have a faulty wiring harness or a compatibility issue with your backlight controller, how about if I send you a standard 5 reel board and 5 reel harness? You see if one or the other or both fix the problem and we'll worry about what they're worth after it's running
qbert
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2013, 04:15:15 PM »

Not to be a pain in the a the two plugss from the led harness to the backlight controller should both be white for non led.Is this what you have?
rickhunter

I Void Warranties

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2013, 04:52:22 PM »

The Led harness has 3 plugs that go into the backlight controller.  A black one that goes on the side black connector, and a pair of white ones that go into the same place as the two white plugs that the incandescent harness uses.  The incandescent harness only has two plugs.

Jimise
Don't pick it up by the candle!
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 75

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2013, 05:19:01 PM »

Hello,
I Did the opposite swap from yours and went from incandescent to led.
the controller in my machine was newer so I did not have to change out the controller.
It was a pretty straight forward swap.
Have you tried swapping the reels around? I know when I got a few sets of reels, after being
bounced around in a box for hundreds of miles, some of the bulbs did not work, so I did a lot
of swapping around and changing to get them all to work.
Just a thought.
Jim.
rickhunter

I Void Warranties

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2013, 05:35:08 PM »

I would agree with that except that it's not that they don't light up, it's the odd behavior that it exhibits, having the lights permanently lit up and some reels not even lighting up.  I did not change the reels around, guess I should have, but because the symptom is so weird, I didn't think that would be it.

Out of curiosity, what mpu board is in your game? 501, 502, 504, or enhanced?

Jimise
Don't pick it up by the candle!
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 75

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2013, 05:47:54 PM »

It is a 504 board.  also a couple of enhanced games. they came with led reels already installed.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.