Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 04:56:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Video Slots** Gaming machines
| |-+  Odyssey Video Games.
| | |-+  Purchased Odyssey machine
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Purchased Odyssey machine  (Read 20423 times)
vette6048
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 4

« on: February 06, 2011, 10:39:03 PM »

Just purchased an Odyssey machine about 2 weeks ago. These machines are sensitive but fun to play. My only question is when I first turn it on Code 102 comes up, I turn the reset key then 410 thru 415 comes up then the machine goes to 9999 and it is ready to play. Sometimes when I am playing a game it will freeze up right in the middle of play, I have to shut off the machine and go thru the steps I mentioned above and the machine resumes play from the point it froze up. Just would like to hear from any Odyssey owners and some advice on that problem.
slotsteve
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 139

we are opened a home sale store on us 58

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 10:41:28 PM »

sorry to hear you bought one   i was told to stay clear of them  way to many headaches
vette6048

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 10:52:47 PM »

For what I paid for the machine, it would have been a no brainer not to buy it. They will give you headaches but I could sell the touchscreen and monitor if I want and be way ahead of the game. I just purchased a complete set of boards for the machine which were tested and are good.
slotsteve
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 139

we are opened a home sale store on us 58

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 10:55:59 PM »

glad you got a good price on it there a few trying to get  close to 5000 for 1
vette6048

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 11:09:22 PM »

You would have to be out of your mind to pay $5000.00 for one. I seen the one on Ebay for $5000.00. No disrespect to the seller but that seller is way out of line with that price. I always wanted one, got one for a great price so what the hell, go for it. I have another one that I am going to purchase which is working and the seller is giving me a good price on it. I might remove the touchscreen and sell it when I get it and keep the rest of the machine for parts.
brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 440

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 11:51:26 PM »

One of our members, robertwinter, is an Odyssey guru junkie...  Crazy arrow propeller

He has a site devoted to them here: http://www.robertwinter.com/slot/odyssey/  yes

Thanks,
Bill
slotdeals
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 151

CALL 937-836-5609 FOR DETAILS

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 01:36:39 AM »

Just purchased an Odyssey machine about 2 weeks ago. These machines are sensitive but fun to play. My only question is when I first turn it on Code 102 comes up, I turn the reset key then 410 thru 415 comes up then the machine goes to 9999 and it is ready to play. Sometimes when I am playing a game it will freeze up right in the middle of play, I have to shut off the machine and go thru the steps I mentioned above and the machine resumes play from the point it froze up. Just would like to hear from any Odyssey owners and some advice on that problem.
best thing to is never turn that machine off if it running good it may not run again if you turn it off it a cool machine but hard to keep running

vette6048

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 04:23:39 AM »

It seems like everytime you turn it on you have to cross your fingers and hope for the best. Anybody have any suggestions on why it freezes up sometimes during play.
Thanks Louie
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 01:11:31 PM »

I know nothing about Odysseys but if it has a computer/hard drive -
I'd suspect not enough ram memory?
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 05:11:28 PM »

Anybody have any suggestions on why it freezes up sometimes during play.

Louie-

There are a number of possibilities.  You may wish to make sure that the cabinet is free of excess dust to help keep components from overheating.  If you haven't already, I highly suggest checking out Robert Winter's site for help with your machine.  He's very knowledgable about the games, and has a forum dedicated to the platform.

One of our members, robertwinter, is an Odyssey guru junkie...  Crazy arrow propeller

He has a site devoted to them here: http://www.robertwinter.com/slot/odyssey/  yes

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
robertwinter

Total Karma Storms: 17

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 06:59:49 PM »

Replace the CR2032 battery on the motherboard.  Takes about 30 seconds.  You'll only get the 102 error once after that, then not again.

I don't understand why people keep complaining about the Odyssey.  It's a fantastic platform and has MUCH better graphics than most games today.  I've had machines running for YEARS with no issues.

But that's just me.  I'm an Odyssey "junkie."   applause

robertwinter

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 07:02:06 PM »

It seems like everytime you turn it on you have to cross your fingers and hope for the best. Anybody have any suggestions on why it freezes up sometimes during play.
Thanks Louie

Your hard drive is probably failing.  That's the biggest weakness of the machine.
golflover
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 41

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 08:33:09 PM »

The Odyddey is my dream machine. Was the first machine I ever played on a trip to Atlantic City.  Was a neat interactive machine.  What kind of harddrives did the Odyddey use?
crgadyk
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 35

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 08:42:13 PM »

Kind of funny, I saw this craigslist ad a while back for one of these machines and didn't have a clue what it was. Stumbled accross this thread and saw the link for the page about them. Then I went back and searched my local craigslist to find the ad again. Sure enough he had a link to your information page about it.

As far as I can tell, its still for sale and he's wanting $1200 for it here locally in cincinnati.

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/vgm/2191706759.html
robertwinter

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 09:20:06 PM »

What kind of harddrives did the Odyddey use?

The Odyssey uses an RSA encrypted Seagate ST15150N SCSI hard drive.
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2011, 11:58:32 PM »

What kind of harddrives did the Odyddey use?

The Odyssey uses an RSA encrypted Seagate ST15150N SCSI hard drive.

I think that machine is really a cool machine!
It's way ahead of it's time and I love the dealer's white gloved hands on the blackjack game.

I have a question...Can you substitute that HD with another plain
hard drive using transferred software?
Or is that a proprietary-like machine unit?

* Odyssey.jpg (7.4 KB, 223x300 - viewed 1252 times.)

* odyssey002.jpg (8.76 KB, 224x300 - viewed 1202 times.)
robertwinter

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 12:01:25 AM »

I think that machine is really a cool machine!
It's way ahead of it's time and I love the dealer's white gloved hands on the blackjack game.

I have a question...Can you substitute that HD with another plain
hard drive using transferred software?
Or is that a proprietary-like machine unit?

Short answer - no, it MUST be the Seagate ST15150N.  There was also the Quantum Viking they used early in production but those were prone to overheating and premature failure.

BTW, the white-gloved dealer is in Phantom Belle Poker, not Top Hat 21.  Top Hat 21 was the game that initially got me hooked on the platform way back when.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 12:06:26 AM by robertwinter » Logged
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 12:06:19 AM »

Well, they're available in quite large quantities for about $30 on fleabay! >>>

http://cgi.ebay.com/Seagate-Barracuda-4-ST15150N-4-3-GB-SCSI-2-Hard-Drive-/170600515913?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b8954949 >>>

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p4684.m570.l1313&_nkw=Seagate+ST15150N&_sacat=See-All-Categories

* Seagate Barracuda 4 ST15150N 4.3 GB SCSI2 Hard Drive.jpg (231.19 KB, 412x319 - viewed 392 times.)
robertwinter

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 12:09:08 AM »

Yeah, $30, plus $10 to ship for that one.  And there's no guarantee it would work.  There are actually *different* types of those drives out there, all with the same model number.  Think block sizing.

I know for a fact the ones from seller recycledgoods.com won't work in an Odyssey.
vette6048

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 12:50:27 AM »

What happens when the hard drive fails? Are they easy to find or expensive to buy? I don't have much experience with the Odyssey but its a blast to play. I know a lot of people blast the machine but I like them. Is the battery hard to change on the board?
reho33
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 146

Slot Losers of America / Tokie Owens

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2011, 02:38:12 AM »

I always got this platform confused with the "Games of Nevada" platform. As for the hard drive , because of the encryption,, can't use Ghost or another cloning program.

** NOTE: The information contained in any of my posts relating to slot machine ownership and use is information that I have gathered from publicly known sources correspondingly under the same protections of Free Speech governed under the Laws of the United States and Canada and is for informational use only. As is my Constitutional Right under United States and Canadian Laws the redistribution of said information is considered a form of free speech. Using this information in the United States or Canada to conduct illegal gambling in states/provinces where it is unlawful has been declared against the law in those states/jurisdictions and as such I do not advocate the illegal use of such information under both the United States and Canadian Laws. All references and examples of personal experiences are hypothetical in nature, and it is up to you to determine if the information presented is applicable to your situation or not**
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2011, 03:11:04 AM »

I always got this platform confused with the "Games of Nevada" platform.
As for the hard drive , because of the encryption,, can't use Ghost or another cloning program.

Oh!... good answer reho!
I think maybe that's what robert meant when talking about the hard drives I found on ebayz.
brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 440

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2011, 04:57:23 AM »

Here's the data sheet on those drives.

They're all formatted to 512 bye sectors. The block size can be changed with the correct software and a controller that supports the right command set, like dd or scu and the -bs option. My personal favorite sw package was SCSI Toolbox, but at ~$2700/license, too expensive unless my employer was buying... yes rotflmao

Not all the controllers support all SCSI commands, but the better ones like the old Future Logic and high-end Adaptecs do. With the right setup, you could create your own drives that meet the physical and low level format specifications.  Nerd

* st15150n.pdf (319.29 KB - downloaded 482 times.)

Thanks,
Bill
golflover
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 41

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2011, 12:35:24 PM »

Thanks for the information, I figured that it had to be some form of encryption and not just a formatted harddrive.  The machine is still on my wish list for someday, but by then it will be an antique  yes and parts will be ven harder to find..lol  Have to get the bartop up to snuff and tinker with the wardens machine long before I invest in another..lol
enforcer
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 48

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2011, 03:02:39 PM »

I have a non-working Odyssey sitting in my garage that I have spent more frustrating hours trying to repair to absolutely no avail.  When I first got it, it was always out of focus and was told by many, including some in this forum, to replace the flyback.  Well, then the fun started.  Go try to find the right flyback and then a source to purchase the flyback part.  Nearly impossible.  Two flybacks later, none of which were in reality correct, I have a board with no flyback and a pile of junk taking up space in my garage.  Of course, there is no one within any reasonable distance to me in CT that even has any experience in fixing these things.  Also, the bill validator stopped working.  Go try to find the particular MARS ZT bill validator for these machines.  They specifc model in question was made by MARS specifically for this machine and they never come up on ebay and anyone who has them wants to charge an arm and a leg for them.  My wife has even encouraged me to use it as kindling for a bonfire, saying that I would get more pleasure in watching the damn thing burn then the ultimate cost, sweat and aggravation she has witnessed in my trying to access various parts of the machine, taking out that huge monitor etc. 
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.