Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 01:45:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Video Slots** Gaming machines
| |-+  Odyssey Video Games.
| | |-+  Purchased Odyssey machine
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Purchased Odyssey machine  (Read 20425 times)
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2011, 04:10:16 PM »

The monitor...it's a tube?
enforcer
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 48

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2011, 04:39:20 PM »

Whatever label we call it, the thing is still a bear to maneuver in order to gain access to the boards and connections behind and/or to the side of it.
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2011, 05:42:12 PM »

I would have modified the holding bracket and install a hinge perhaps for the screen?
brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 440

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2011, 06:36:22 PM »

Yes, it's a CRT monitor, and a big heavy one at that.

Enforcer, did you ever contact Robert Winter?

Thanks,
Bill
enforcer
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 48

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2011, 07:21:12 PM »

I did contact Robert Winter and have looked at his Odyssey site many times.  He certainly is the Odyssey expert in these parts.  While I have gotten some guidance from him, my problems remain.  Maybe he wants to buy my machiine, although I have this pipe dream of it someday working ?  I also have Odyssey extras, like several different pieces of belly glass.  Over the last two years I have set up ebay alerts to notify me of any Odyssey parts which go up for auction.  I have only seen belly glass, psycho boards, an occasional hard drive and the monitor up for auction over the years.  Haven't seen any actual working machines for some time.  The guy in Cincinnati selling his on Craigslist for $1,200 has had it up for sale for some time now.  He started asking more than $2,000, dropped it to $1,800 and now is asking $1,200.  Still way over-priced in my mind. 
crgadyk
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 35

« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2011, 08:17:43 PM »

Yeah I've seen that post several times on craigslist. I have alerts set up for all slot machines in the tri state area here and see it every now and then.
robertwinter

Total Karma Storms: 17

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2011, 09:17:48 PM »

I did contact Robert Winter and have looked at his Odyssey site many times.  He certainly is the Odyssey expert in these parts.  While I have gotten some guidance from him, my problems remain.  Maybe he wants to buy my machiine, although I have this pipe dream of it someday working ?  I also have Odyssey extras, like several different pieces of belly glass.  Over the last two years I have set up ebay alerts to notify me of any Odyssey parts which go up for auction.  I have only seen belly glass, psycho boards, an occasional hard drive and the monitor up for auction over the years.  Haven't seen any actual working machines for some time.  The guy in Cincinnati selling his on Craigslist for $1,200 has had it up for sale for some time now.  He started asking more than $2,000, dropped it to $1,800 and now is asking $1,200.  Still way over-priced in my mind. 
I would be interested in buying it (sent you a PM) but if you want to keep it, I'm more than happy to help you get it up and running.

Sounds like the first order of business would be to get your monitor board fixed.  I could take care of that for you.
robertwinter

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2011, 09:50:53 PM »

Yes, it's a CRT monitor, and a big heavy one at that.

Believe it or not, I've been able to move an entire Odyssey by MYSELF!  Takes some dismantling, but it is possible.  And since I now know my way around these machines backwards and forwards, it's not too tough.

1.  Remove the hopper (easy enough, it just slides out and 3 connections)
2.  Remove the cash can (just pulls out)
3.  Remove the monitor.  3-7 screws, 3 connectors, and it slides right out.  Yeah it's kinda heavy, but manageable.
4.  Remove the Ebox.  7 connectors, 2 captive screws.  Slides right out.

You now have 4 large pieces (case, monitor, Ebox, hopper) that are much more manageable for moving.  Reassembly is just a reversal of the above.

Now that I'm comfortable with disassembly, I no longer dread moving one of these beasts, which weight upwards of 350 pounds completely assembled!
vette6048
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 4

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2011, 03:58:49 PM »

I think the Odyssey machine is a blast to have and play. Can the machine get on your nerves sometimes? You bet!! I would stay in touch with Robert and let him help you with the problems you are having with the game. Once you get it going I think your fustrations will go away. Give it a try!!
cowboygames
Abbys Dad
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 680

Happiness in life is a great dog

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2011, 04:49:19 PM »

A fuzzy picture isn't neccessarily a bad flyback. Could be a misadjusted focus control ON the flyback or carbon buildup on the filiments inside the neck of the tube. The former is a simple adustment, the latter requires a CRT rejuvinator. Someone close to you probably has one. With the tube running and the neck good and warm you can sometimes tap gently on the neck with the handle of a long screwdriver and get carbon buildup to pop loose. I worked on Zenith CRTs through the 90s and aquired huge amounts of experience at this yes
Neonkiss

Total Karma Storms: 436

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2011, 05:37:47 PM »

but if you want to keep it, I'm more than happy to help you get it up and running.

Sounds like the first order of business would be to get your monitor board fixed.  I could take care of that for you.

Robert Winters, K+ for helping out members with their Odyssey Machines.  +1 (Karma, or whatever) applause Clap American Flag waving flag

Nothing brings people together better than a common enemy
343 / 60 brothers lost on that day.
Billythekid

Total Karma Storms: 19

Oct 2011

« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2011, 09:52:02 PM »

I enjoyed owning one for a while. I may buy one again if I have lots of extra money and a couple thousand doesn't mean much to me. The graphics are great, the games sound good but actual game play doesn't compare to today's action. After playing the Odyssey for a year or so I realized that the amount of money the game wants to trigger the bonus is not worth the payout of the bonus. That's opposite of my WMS 550 that has huge payouts with less investment. The Odyssey was a trail blazer and up until a few years ago had better graphics than current gaming. In the past three years IGT and others have finally caught up to 2011. I would have kept the odyssey around but even having a parts machine I feared the day it stopped working or a cracked touch screen. I think the card games are the most fun on that platform.

When I populate my historical museum collection in retirement (25 year) maybe I'll be able to find a working Odyssey.
robertwinter

« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2011, 10:14:18 PM »

When I populate my historical museum collection in retirement (25 year) maybe I'll be able to find a working Odyssey.

Contact me when you do.  I'll probably still have a bunch of working machines like I do now!
KirkLasVegas
Retired OLD Buzzard

Total Karma Storms: 233

Newest addition to the family, RIP Bentley

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2011, 01:53:54 AM »

I had a Balanced and equal relationship with my Odyssey...I hated it...and it hated me!
I NEVER/EVER had a machine give me more grief, cost me more time and money to try to keep working then that damn thing!
When I parted it out, I felt like I had successfully KILLED the beast...I was SO happy to see it gone.....
I have owned Bally, WMS, IGT, Konami machines and never ever had one kick me repeatedly in the chops like that piece of junk did Smiley

Kirk

Definition of "Retirement"= to be able to get back all you contributed into it AND take some of their money too before dropping dead.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.