Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 05:28:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Video Slots** Gaming machines
| |-+  Odyssey Video Games.
| | |-+  I'm Interestd in an Odyssey video Machine
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I'm Interestd in an Odyssey video Machine  (Read 14230 times)
vette6048
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 4

« on: January 26, 2010, 02:45:28 AM »

Looking for a working Odyssey machine in nice shape. I have to be crazy to want one knowing the headaches they can cause. Will be heading out to Vegas on Feb 12th for a week. Not looking to spend a ton of money on it. Would like to have keno games on it if possible. Call me at 773-284-8631 and ask for Louie
robertwinter
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 17

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 04:46:35 AM »

I have a few available but they would need to be shipped, unless you want to drive into Los Angeles to pick one up.

FYI, Odysseys get a bad rap for being headaches.  For home use they're pretty solid.  I've had numerous machines running for years and have only had one issue, which was ultimately fixable.

I'm just getting into I+ games and can now fully appreciate the Odyssey platform more than ever.  15 games accessible with no chip changes, all on a single drive.

Figure an I+ base machine at $1500, 15 games at about $200+ apiece, and you're already at $4500 minimum.  Forget about buying glass or the headaches of swapping all the chips just to play ONE game.  Damn shame IGT buried the Odyssey technology.

Anyway, sorry for the rant.  PM me and I can give you prices.

Oh, and my Odyssey site is here - http://www.robertwinter.com/slot/odyssey/
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 07:52:16 PM »

Damn shame IGT buried the Odyssey technology.

Agreed.  They were way ahead of their time, and are still superior in some aspects to games being produced today.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
Bettor Slots
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 751

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 08:14:11 PM »

I love the Odyssey's.  I can remember back when I use to frequent the Aladdin, back when it existed...I would sit there for 10 hours straight playing that damn race car multi-reel game.  I can still hear the dang race cars buzzing in my head.

Did they bury it or did they expand on it?  I seem to recall hearing something about this new Server based slot machine platform from IGT....."gonna take over and change the industry".  Apparently a player can sit at a machine and select from a menu of games...you know they are like graphic Icons on the screen that the player can pick from of each game.  Then once picked the message goes out to a Server and downloads the game selected to the machine from it's hard drive.  Sounds similar?

If life is like a box of chocolates....why do I always seem to end up with the butter creme?
KirkLasVegas
Retired OLD Buzzard
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 233

Newest addition to the family, RIP Bentley

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 09:13:05 PM »

I love the Odyssey's.  I can remember back when I use to frequent the Aladdin, back when it existed...I would sit there for 10 hours straight playing that damn race car multi-reel game.  I can still hear the dang race cars buzzing in my head.

Did they bury it or did they expand on it?  I seem to recall hearing something about this new Server based slot machine platform from IGT....."gonna take over and change the industry".  Apparently a player can sit at a machine and select from a menu of games...you know they are like graphic Icons on the screen that the player can pick from of each game.  Then once picked the message goes out to a Server and downloads the game selected to the machine from it's hard drive.  Sounds similar?

I had one....I absolutely HATED the god damn thing.
When it ran it was VERY cool....but!
When it didnt.....power supply issues, hard drive issues, special cards (Psycho card) special motherboard (no supply) 32" 16:9 CRT, touch screen impossible to get and a variety of * ERROR * messages on a regular basis. Bill validator CRC errors.
The machine was simply evil and would kick you in the chops every chance it got.
I got lucky, I bought it not working CHEAP...fixit it numerous times, replaced most of it while I owned it. Finally the Thor motherboard took a shit in my cornflakes. No can find...
I dismantled that huge piece of crap, parted it out to save a few other dinosaurs and got all my investment back.
If you like to be Bitchslapped, kick in the chops, pissed and crapped on, have your wallet drained,waste space then by ALL MEANS YOU NEED A ODYSSEY!!!
I can save you time,money,gas and expenses! simply come over here, give me $10 and I will hit you with a 2X4 over and over.
MUCH cheaper than owning a Odyssey! No cut hands,no running for parts, no wasted weekends trying to coax it into running for another weekend,no explaining to the wife,friends,family why that big box of crap is not working again!

Kirk

Definition of "Retirement"= to be able to get back all you contributed into it AND take some of their money too before dropping dead.
robertwinter

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 10:41:25 PM »

Did they bury it or did they expand on it? 

The proposed IGT server based system is nothing like the Odyssey except for the fact that it's multigame capable.  Being an IT person myself, I can understand the desire to have the software at a central location.  Update software at one location and every machine on the network now has the latest and greatest version.  But you can kiss the home market goodbye when this technology becomes reality.

Let's look at the Odyssey for what it was when they came out over TWELVE YEARS AGO.  Huge 16:9 monitor.  Yes, it was a CRT, but the 16:9 revolution hadn't hit the mainstream yet.  And the graphics?  State of the art 3D animations with beautifully choreographed music and sounds.  Compare this to what you see on most modern IGT video slots today and they are VERY flat in comparison.  A lot of IGT games look like cheap Flash animation conversions.

I had one....I absolutely HATED the god damn thing.

Sorry your experience was so bad.  The Thor mobo wasn't a good sign to begin with.  That's why they went to the Tucson (and likewise changed from Quantum to Seagate drives)

I've owned over 10 of them, all working, and as far as I know, the ones I've sold are still working.  I still own 4 machines, all working perfectly.  I have many parts available and have been successful in helping most people getting their machines back up and running.  I have fully working and tested mobos, Eboxes, Psychos, vid cards, hard drives, etc still available.  But don't break the touchscreen as they're irreplaceable.  if you do, the game is a paperweight.

ANY game will need repair at some point.  The Odyssey suffers from the fact that the company was short lived and not many games were produced, hence the scarcity of spare parts.
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 01:51:20 AM »

I very much agree with you robert.  yes The Odyssey was way ahead of it's time.... Hail
Look at everybody scrambling to do what they did long time ago...
It's too bad Kirk had a lemon.
reho33
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 146

Slot Losers of America / Tokie Owens

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 01:57:28 AM »

I saw a few at Foxwoods back in the late 90's but never wanted to play them. I confused them with "Games of Nevada", that's what I thought they were.

** NOTE: The information contained in any of my posts relating to slot machine ownership and use is information that I have gathered from publicly known sources correspondingly under the same protections of Free Speech governed under the Laws of the United States and Canada and is for informational use only. As is my Constitutional Right under United States and Canadian Laws the redistribution of said information is considered a form of free speech. Using this information in the United States or Canada to conduct illegal gambling in states/provinces where it is unlawful has been declared against the law in those states/jurisdictions and as such I do not advocate the illegal use of such information under both the United States and Canadian Laws. All references and examples of personal experiences are hypothetical in nature, and it is up to you to determine if the information presented is applicable to your situation or not**
rickhunter
SMAA Founder and Chairman

Total Karma Storms: 226

I Void Warranties

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 03:27:22 PM »

I think much of the problem with the Odyssey machines was a heat problem.  I mean they were using Pentium chips when everybody else was using 8 bit cpu's.  All those electronics and the HUGE monitor enclosed and operating 24 hours a day cannot be a good thing for heat.  If they used server class hardware it might have fared better, but they would have needed to use the very noisy fans typical of server class hardware.  If you get one that is relatively healthy and don't leave it on 24 hours a day, you should be good to go.  I for one would love an odyssey, but at this point I'm reluctant to invest because the parts are so expensive and scarce, that I would just rather spend the money on a bluebird or something more modern.  Bluebirds are now using Pentium 4 chips, which have been out of the PC market for quite a while now.  You would think, they would want to use more modern chips as they are easier to get and are more energy efficient.

A slot collector is like a coin hopper in a machine that never pays out.  they just keep on accumulating assets.
vette6048

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 07:45:23 PM »

I found one Odyssey for sale up in Reno Nevada. His price is $1500 or best. Says it works fine but you have to register it with gaming people because it was won by a former IGT employee. I know this sounds crazy but if you go to Craigslist under Reno and type in Slot Machine you will see the machine. He told me if I'm interested he'll send me the paper work and everything should be fine as long as I supply my address in Henderson Nv. The only reason I'm interested in one is I am selling a Gamemaker and an American Coin Enterprises Keno machine. I will not go overboard on the price to get a Odyssey. Anybody ever hear of an American Coin Enterprises Keno machine?
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 07:47:07 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the AC company was bought out by IGT a few years back.
dpalmi
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 291

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 08:09:13 PM »

His price is $1500 or best.

I've always wanted an Odyssey myself even though I know they can be trouble - it just amazes me that someone is asking that much for one.  If I had a chance to buy one, I would only buy it if I could get it cheap - like $600-$800.  Does anyone think it's worth spending $1500 on a machine that is impossible to get parts for (monitor) or very expensive? 

Dan #2

A great man once said, "I was told last time I would get a piece of cake."

knagl

Kevin

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 08:11:20 PM »

American Coin went out of business after it was revealed that they gaffed chips in some of their route locations to prevent top awards from being hit.  For example, in a small bar with video poker machines, the gaffed American Coin machines were incapable of hitting a Royal Flush.  I don't think IGT bought them -- I think they just plain went out of business after the scandal came to light.  I didn't know about American Coin keno, but an article I read implied that perhaps some of their keno games were gaffed, too.

Bunker, were you thinking of Anchor Gaming?  IGT bought Anchor Gaming in 2000 or 2001, and as I learned from reading this article, Anchor had a big role in the creation of the Wheel of Fortune slot machines.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
vette6048

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 08:16:19 PM »

Dan,
I agree that spending alot of money on the Odyssey is not worth it. If I found one with a good price I will give it a try. I believe there are people that own these and they do not realize how expensive there are to repair. Maybe one day I will get lucky and find one for the right price.
vette6048

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 08:20:36 PM »

Maybe thats why I don't have to much success winning on the machine. Besides the payouts are horrible. Bet 4 ouarters have to catch 10 out of 10 to win a $1000.00. Its still a challenge I guess.
robertwinter

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010, 09:35:45 PM »

I for one would love an odyssey, but at this point I'm reluctant to invest because the parts are so expensive and scarce

This is the very reason I own more than one machine - built in spare parts.  Now I've got spare parts beyond the machines I bought for parts.  The only item I don't have a spare for is the touchscreen, which I did have, but I used it to resurrect a machine from the dead.

And $1500 is a good price for one, especially if it's 100% working.
PWRSTROKE
Resigned NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 246

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 10:09:56 PM »

Anchor Gaming designed and built the top wheel assembley for the wof.  Igt bought them and the patent.  Igt bought ac coin.  I think you can still see ac coin on the miss. gaming commission site- Scratch Head.  B.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 10:17:04 PM by PWRSTROKE » Logged
brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 440

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 06:38:49 AM »

American Coin went out of business after it was revealed that they gaffed chips in some of their route locations to prevent top awards from being hit.  For example, in a small bar with video poker machines, the gaffed American Coin machines were incapable of hitting a Royal Flush. 

Wasn't there a murder or 2 associated with American Coin also? Scratch Head

Thanks,
Bill
knagl

Kevin

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2010, 06:51:46 AM »

Wasn't there a murder or 2 associated with American Coin also? Scratch Head

Yep.

stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2010, 12:43:51 PM »

They killed the gaffer...
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2010, 11:31:27 AM »

MODERATOR NOTE: Topic moved to Odyssey board, as it has some interesting information. SF garfield

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.