Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 11:10:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Video Slots** Gaming machines
| |-+  Odyssey Video Games.
| | |-+  Odyssey monitor boards
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Odyssey monitor boards  (Read 4179 times)
hwy111
« on: July 13, 2010, 08:53:18 PM »

:99-My Dad's SGI Odyssey monitor went black while playing a game.
Everything else is still running normally in the background. Did a safe clear and full clear to no avail. You can hear everything running but no picture.....it even goes into MMS mode.....everything runs except no picture.
I've read many posts here and on Robert Winters site about similar problems with the monitor. Before this happened, the monitor was in perfect shape with very vivid resolution and color. Could it be a monitor fuse and if so, where exactly is the montor Fuse?? I'd rather try that before replacing boards if that might work.
People have reported of having the same problem and replaced the monitor boards and all was fixed.

Where are the monitor boards located....I see the board attached to the yoke and there is another board attached to the left side (when facing the front of the monitor) of the case below the heat sink board......are those the "monitor boards" everybody is talking about, just the two, one on the yoke and one on the side of case?? Is there a fuse on one of the boards I need to look for in case that is all it is, a blown fuse? If it's not a fuse problem, which one of the monitor boards usually ends up being the culprit??
I understand that caps go bad on boards so if it's not a fuse problem, I would like to take off what ever board or boards I need to remove and have them fixed at a local TV repair shop I use.

If anyone out there has had this problem with their Odyssey or if there is anyone who could guide me on steps to take to get this fixed I would very much appreciate your help.
We Love the Odyssey and it is in absolute mint shape with Topper and would like to keep it running for the family to use.
Thanks  waving flag
Clint
robertwinter
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 17

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 05:30:36 AM »

Yes, the monitor boards consists of the neck board and the main board mounted on the left of the chassis.  The fuse is located on the bottom of the main board.

The problem usually lies on the main board, most likely the flyback.
hwy111
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 05:04:03 AM »

Thanks Robert.
I've actually spoken to you before on this problem a while back and I got so busy with life and frustrated with the Odyssey, that I never did anything about it till now.....got tired of seeing the thing just sitting not working.....we all know that's a shame. LOL!

I hooked up an lcd monitor to the video card like you previously said to do and it does show video running just perfect so that eliminated the electronics box. The only error code I have now is 1102 (player tracking) don't know why, never had that before along with a constant low level beeping. I have no clue where the beeping is coming from....I've tried to listen everywhere to locate it. You told me that it may be coming from a failed monitor board...I hope so because it's annoying.

So I guess you're right from the get go about the problem lying in a monitor board. Do I have to remove the monitor to take out this main board or is it possible to remove it from the top? How many screws does it have? If I leave the machine unplugged for a week or so, shouldn't the energy have dissapated by then so I could remove it safely without getting accidently zapped or is it possible to remove it safely without waiting......rubber gloves maybe Smiley
Also, once I find a replacement board or have mine repaired, is it just simply putting the new board in or does the new board/monitor have to be tweeked?

Thanks,
Clint
robertwinter
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 17

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 05:15:31 AM »

You have to pull the entire monitor to remove those boards.  There are two screws at the top and one on the bottom left.  You'll also need to remove the coin guard on the bottom right.

Removing the monitor chassis -
http://www.robertwinter.com/slot/odyssey/docs/02_Service_and_Replacement_Basics.pdf (page 2-16)

Removing the boards -
http://www.robertwinter.com/slot/odyssey/docs/09_Component_Replacement_Display.pdf

I'm no expert, but I would leave it unplugged for a week before you remove it and I would still discharge the tube.  I've been zapped by tubes before (was a newbie at the time) and it ain't fun.

Robert
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.