Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 08:37:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  Universal Reel/Video Games. (Moderator: uniman)
| | |-+  Troubleshooting the Universal Ultra
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Troubleshooting the Universal Ultra  (Read 4458 times)
uniman
Topic Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 695

« on: December 19, 2008, 10:14:13 PM »

Now that I have some experience working on the Ultra Series, I'm seeing a common weakness.
It is the MPU where it plugs into the motherboard. (or backplane board as some call it)
Most often this problem arises after a machine is moved or the MPU board was removed and reinserted.
The symptoms are all kinds of problems. No LED's, won't accept coins, error 31 - overpay, reel errors, etc.

The solution is;
With the machine turned off,
Remove and inspect the MPU board pins for discoloration or corrosion. Use a magnifying glass! Even small corrosion will cause problems.
I use a soft brass brush to gently clean the corrosion off the pins. Then make sure no brass strands are left behind. Again, I use the magnifying glass to look for stray brass strand fibers. They can short the board!!
I then liberally spray the motherboard pin connectors with contact cleaner. Put a small towel under it to catch the excess. Then spray the pins on the MPU and insert it in/out a couple of times in the motherboard. Give some time for the contact cleaner to evaporate and then wipe off any residue that ran down the motherboard.
Insert the MPU and after it seats, I use my thumbs pressing on the white pull tabs and press firmly, left, right, and then both together. This assures a tight fit.
Perform a RAM clear while powering up (see Ultra RAM clear thread for this procedure) and it should work fine.

Here are some pics of corrosion on the MPU pins. I got this board some time back and someone had taped on a piece of paper saying the "3rd reel wouldn't stop, bad board." When I tested it the second reel wouldn't stop. Gave it a good cleaning and it now works fine!

* ultra-pin.JPG (29.18 KB, 640x480 - viewed 300 times.)

* ultra-pins2.JPG (29.84 KB, 640x480 - viewed 280 times.)
uniman
Topic Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 695

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 10:29:04 PM »

There is one more step you can take to keep that Ultra Series slot from flaking out on you.
See the pic below.
Most machines for home use have the MPU door lock removed. You need to get a barrel type lock, 3/4" long or less is best, with the locking tab.
Then you glue or doubleback tape two pieces of wood or plastic on the MPU door. The idea is when the door is closed and locked, the wood/plastic is pressing firmly on the MPU corners keeping it connected to the motherboard.
Works great on those occasional stubburn boards.
My friend Clyde gets credit for this idea.  yes

* ultra-mpu-blocks.JPG (45.42 KB, 525x345 - viewed 289 times.)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 07:13:59 PM by uniman » Logged
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 02:32:43 AM »

That's an awesome picture of the corroded pins Uniman!  applause
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.