Which HF rig would you buy today?

(1/3) > >>

StatFreak:
Okay, so I just posted in the other thread that I'm not in the market for an HF rig right now, but that doesn't mean that I haven't been looking and drooling.

First, I'll admit to being fairly out of touch as to what's what nowadays; who's making good gear, who's making crap, etc.

In the old days I worked primarily 40 and 80 meter CW and SSB. I didn't work 20, 15 and 10 as much because I didn't have the right antenna and/or because they weren't as active at the time.

I've looked at everything from the legendary defunct IC-751A to some new models under $3k like the Elcraft K3 ($2k+); the Yaesu FT-2000 ($2.2k), FT-2000/D ($2.7k) (both on sale), FT-3000 ($2.7k) or the FT-950 (on sale for $1.3k); the ICOM IC-7000 ($1.3k) [not sure I want such a compact rig with so many deep menus]; the Kenwood TS-2000 ($1.5k) and others.

While there are a lot of good older rigs out there, I'm leaning towards newer rigs with roofing filters to help cut through DX pileups to isolate difficult QSOs, USB computer/remote control capability and features that would let me go beyond basic SSB/CW to try some of the newer forms of communication.

While portability always appeals, I'm more inclined towards a shack rig that has more of the main functions directly accessible from the front panel or that at least has fewer levels of menu depth and a comprehensive display that's quicker and easier to navigate. Of course, if someone can show me that a rig like the IC-7000 really rocks, I might change my mind. :96-

So what do all of you think? Are the newer rigs by the big three worth it or are they overpriced crap? Any better choices out there that I don't know about, including used options? There's no rush since I can't put up an antenna right now (not even a multi-band vertical).

stormrider:
Hey Stat,

Let me first start out by saying I have also been out of the loop.
I just sold off the last of my HF gear but while in the hobby I did have the best of the best for gear.
With that being said I am not up to date on the newest HF gear
but I do know Icom's top rigs like the 7600 and 7800 were around 10k  :72-

When I quit dxing I had a FT1000, Icom 756pro, and the Kenwood TS2000
Oh that IC751a is one of the greatest rigs made and stills stands the test of time
the receiver section was one of the best.

TS2000 does it all 160-440 all modes but then again it's everything
crammed into 1 box, not a bad rig but the receiver lacks compared to the others
you can also narrow the dsp filters down to nothing.

So I guess for you it comes down to what bands will you operate
how much antenna space do you have...mono band beams ? maybe not if so
a wire works wonders when the band is open and the neighbors can't see it or complain  :89-
Then again if you work 160,80,40 a wire is all you need.

For a Hf rig I would say check out the Icom 756pro not original model (screen problems)but the pro 1,2,or 3 model
I'm not going to list all the features off the top of my head but some of them are.
160-6 meters, DSP filtering, built in keyer, live band scope,great audio
you can also adjust/narrow the filters if someone parks right next to you
also has dual receive,you can buy a used one for around 1k not sure new price for the newest model
I would try to find a local ham selling one also check out QTH.com or QRZ most people/hams are great people.
maybe a local hamfest then again those all turned into computer gear and unwanted junk.

I have heard of a PC based rig called a FlexRadio but I don't know chit about it
anyway my dinner is burning and will check this thread again.

Tim

StatFreak:
I had heard mixed reviews of the 756 pro 2,3, series but I'll look at them. For now, no antenna  :60- hence, no rush. Later, probably a vertical, or maybe a yagi or other folded dipole. I don't expect to be able to use an inverted-v or a dipole in an urban apartment. ...Okay, maybe an indoor dipole or long wire with a 1/4 wave ground wire indoors for 10 to 20 meters...

So I won't have the best of antenna systems and might have to keep to the upper HF bands.

<ADD> Naturally, a quality antenna tuner (either in-rig or external) is in my future. :5-

StatFreak:
I found this page. http://www.k2zs.com/indoor-hf-antennas with a twist on the indoor dipole or long wire "wire around the room" implementation. His simple, interesting addition is to connect the wire legs on each wall with alligator clips so he can change the antenna length for different bands.

suncatalyst:
I personally have BOTH a Kenwood TS-2000x and a Icom IC-7000 with a antenna tuner (which doubles the size physically of the IC-7000)

i love BOTH... great radios... both have there advantages and disadvantages... Honestly im learning towards the TS-2000 every day with
all the antenna inputs it gives you plus 1.2Ghz if you have the option installed at Kenwood service center like i did.

Kenwood also had the advantage you can upgrade the firmware if needed and kenwood has released at least 10 updates over 12 years...
ICOM i cant say the same about the 7000... great little radio BUT it has disadvantages. Menus arent much deeper than the IC-703/706 series....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page