Looking to make a 2 Meter Antenna

(1/3) > >>

Joeylc:
Hay all well im trying make up a 2 Meter Antenna and as a NEWBIE lol  :5- :5- not sure where to start have seen lots of videos on the topic.
  2 Meter Dipole Antenna,  2 Meter Vertical Antenna, Five Element 2 Meter Antenna, and last a  2 Meter J-pole...   

Wow lots of info and lots of choices  :30- :30- :30- but where to start ????  :79- :79-

What do you all think about the home made j-pole ????    SEE VIDEO???

http://www.youtube.com/v/QOwznvSA-sM&rel=0

Is this worth doing.... ???   :71- :71-  Thanks for any input...  Having Fun Joeylc  :61-

BTW: We Shayla and I Passed our Amateur Radio Test this week and will soon have our call signs.  :72- :72-      Just waiting for the Government AKA FCC to grant the licenses  :25- :25- :25- 

Sure hope it's not like waiting for our Government issued DOJ License !!!!!  :97- :97- :97-

KirkLasVegas:
Congrats on that! The J-pole works well, but not easy to make and if you dont have access to a antenna analyzer you wont know of it's working correctly......
The dipole and groundplane are EASY to make and work well...
Suggestion.....
A CHEAP (did I say cheap) but decent handheld radio is the Baofeng UV-5R/UV-5R+/UV-5RE series radios.....
They do 2 meters as well as 70Cm (420-450Mhz) have a large battery for (get this) $50 on Ebay!
Here is a link, they are in Phoenix, $91 for a PAIR of these!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-2013-Latest-Version-BaoFeng-UV-5R-Plus-136-174-400-480-MHz-Ham-2-way-Radio-/261162358763?pt=2_Way_Radios_FRS&hash=item3cce7d57eb

Kirk (WB6EGR)

Slots_007:
J-Pole antennas are excellent, if you lack the tools to build one yourself checkout:

http://www.arrowantennas.com/osj/j-pole.html

Great antenna for the money, I bought one of these back when I first obtained my license and they work great on VHF/UHF.

The handheld beam is great for Satellite work along with a dual band hand-held radio.

KirkLasVegas:
While J-Poles do work well (a shunt fed antenna reject out of band crap) you MUST put it on a antenna analyzer to see what it's REALLY doing.....
Find someone with a MFJ-259/269 analyzer and take a look at it before operating thru it.
If your thinking of buying anything HAM related or test gear wise, the MFJ-259 or 269 Analyzer is a great investment to your collection.

Slots_007:
Quote from: KirkLasVegas on March 04, 2013, 08:03:35 PM

While J-Poles do work well (a shunt fed antenna reject out of band crap) you MUST put it on a antenna analyzer to see what it's REALLY doing.....
Find someone with a MFJ-259/269 analyzer and take a look at it before operating thru it.
If your thinking of buying anything HAM related or test gear wise, the MFJ-259 or 269 Analyzer is a great investment to your collection.

Have one! I know some people HATE MFJ, But I have never had a problem with MFJ equipment.

Very good point, I use it to check every antenna I have/put up, also using premium grade coax rated for VHF or UHF certainly helps...Avoid that Chinese plated stuff like the plague!!

If you decide to ever travel to Dayton you can get a decent discount on equipment direct from MFJ, I managed to talk the lady into selling me a few "display" units dirt cheap when the show was over.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page