Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 05:19:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S2000 and Vision Games.
| | |-+  Backlit reel power issue on an S2000 Vision machine ( Solved )
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Backlit reel power issue on an S2000 Vision machine ( Solved )  (Read 14744 times)
AffordableSlots
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 30

« on: March 28, 2011, 10:37:38 PM »

I just got a kit for my vision machine. I hooked up the I/O connection to the back-lit board and I hooked up the back-lit reels to the Back lit board...  Crazy  I can't find the power wire for the backlit board anywhere. Is there some way to hook up power to the board or a wire I can get somewhere, if so where does it hook up in the machine? I have looked for the power wire all around the harnesses near the control board... nothing there.  stir the pot / get cooking  Any suggestions?  Help

Thanks,
Bryan
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 04:52:52 AM by tellmeaboutit » Logged
AffordableSlots
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 10:43:10 PM »

Still Searching for a power wire... Sherlock Smiley  banghead
cartman765
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 1188

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 11:02:29 PM »

The power connector comes from the power supply behind the reels but if it's an older vision like mine it won't be there because they didn't have backlit reels when they first came out, i got a wiring harness from a s2000 for mine so i could put backlit reels in mine.
Foster
The S2000 GURU
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 345

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 11:05:45 PM »

It is a 6 pin connector with Red, Black/red, Orange, and Black/orange wires in it.
IF you have it it may be hiding near the power supply.

If you have a Vision or Vision Ready you will not have the power connector for the back lit reels and will have to make one.

A Slot Machine and Coca-Cola Addict!!
"If it is not broke do not fix it" I keep forgetting that!
FORDSBS
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 363

PET

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 11:23:56 PM »

Some time ago I needed one for a machine of mine. If I remember correctly it was rjpohl who
fixed me up with one.
There were so many on here that helped me out and I'm not sure who did what.
Ford
AffordableSlots
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 11:53:05 PM »

Ok, I know there are no power wires on either of my vision machines... Like Foster said... Looks like I need to make one.

Anyone know what wires to hook up where? What wires do I splice into for power?

Thanks,
Bryan
Foster
The S2000 GURU
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 08:01:13 PM »

I would use the power wires running down to the motherboard.
you need the Red, Red/black, Orange, Black/orange wires.

Orange wire 25VDC
Red Wire 13VDC
Black/orange AGND
Black/red BGND

These are the pins that a S2000 harness uses
Pin 1 25VDC  Orange Wire
Pin 2 13VDC Red Wire
Pin 4 AGND Black/orange wire
Pin 5 BGND Black/red wire

Pins 2 and 3 are tied together on the board.
Pins 4, 5, and 6 are tied together on the board.        

IF you are looking at the board with it in the machine
6 5 4
3 2 1
is the pin layout on the board (3 reel version)

When you use the Mini-Fit Jr when you look at the housing you will notice three set of lines the lines indicate the pins 1 2 and 3 exactly.
That is what I did until I bit the bullet and bought a complete S200

Ron (r273)
NLG Welcome Wagon & General Chat
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 401

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 08:53:43 PM »

Jim from Blueridge made some up in November of 09.  I doubt if he has any left.
These are his pictures.

Ron (r273)

* NLG_Harness_008.jpg (200.59 KB, 640x480 - viewed 270 times.)

* NLG_Harness_005.jpg (233.67 KB, 640x480 - viewed 294 times.)
Foster
The S2000 GURU
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 09:23:16 PM »

There could be two problems with using that harness. but it will do the job.
1 pulling too much current through the motherboard traces. (I have seen the results of too much current going through the motherboard)
2 That netplex port may be in use.

IF you tap off the power supply wires going to the motherboard.
1 that port will be available for a printer (that is what is for anyways)
2 you will not risk damage to the motherboard.

The wires going to my Reel controller are 18 AWG

AffordableSlots
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 06:35:55 AM »

Thanks guys, Thats alot of info to take in... So if I use that wire from Jim at blueridge it may short out the mother board and take the printer netplex device slot? Hummm...

Bryan frying pan
blueridgeslots
703 730-0821
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1262

703 730-0821

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 01:07:22 PM »

There could be two problems with using that harness. but it will do the job.
1 pulling too much current through the motherboard traces. (I have seen the results of too much current going through the motherboard)
2 That netplex port may be in use.

IF you tap off the power supply wires going to the motherboard.
1 that port will be available for a printer (that is what is for anyways)
2 you will not risk damage to the motherboard.

The wires going to my Reel controller are 18 AWG

BULLSHEEEEEEET

almost 5 years now and never a problem, I have had that same harness in the very first game I had well before most anyone even had S-2000 on here, this was the first project tackled on the old site with a S2K, back when we were converting Vision Ready to 3+1 Bonus Reel games, but then again I was told by somebody (No names mentioned Foster) that a DSV-42 Sound Simm I sold was causing the Humm in the speakers, hmm see above cap letters ~ however I am sure cutting into the main power harness will work, I don't do it, thanks for saving the pics Ron, I forgot I previously did stuff like that, can't remember why I stopped though

Selling Quality Tested and Guaranteed Slot Parts and Machines at Wholesale

http://stores.ebay.com/BLUE-RIDGE-SLOT-SERVICE
Foster
The S2000 GURU
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 02:36:46 PM »

Jim
I do not think your harness would cause problems, but after seeing my motherboard in a vision ready after setting up a Spectrum II.

I only stated the above because I have not figured out why I had a motherboard with damaged traces that affected 2 or 3 of the netplex ports.
When I got my machine it was a vision ready so that means theoretically that the top box and printer port have never been used for any devices until I put the Spectrum II in

I had some issues and discovered a damaged traces on the motherboard.
How I found out was plugged in a spectrum II ( It was a 2 piece harness made by IGT and a member here and it was correct even used it for the topper for a while)
IGT part of the harness is the 9 oin molex the netplex port on Power Dist Board. NO Power Dist board at the time
Member part had female Molex Mini Fit Jr 10 pin to the 3 connectors at the spectrum.
No power to the Spectrum so I moved the connection for top box at the motherboard to the printer port.
Spectrum started working but shortly I started having things happen.
Spectrum loosing power or NO DATA
VFD loosing netplex or some such thing but player button lamps on like it was ready to play no errors showing on the Winner Paid/ Credit/ Coin played display (like you would get if you powered off the VFD)
I would power it off and back on and it would be fine for a time then do it again.

Thats when I decided to pull the motherboard, and look at it, I was thinking that maybe a coin or other object was causing it.
No coins or objects found.

Motherboard had a few traces damaged around the netplex and power connectors
Why too much current flowed through the traces in a vision ready machine.
I do not know since I did not get the machine new from IGT,
All I know is too much current flowed through traces  and those traces are small for the current they carry.
When Ever I add something to a machine I try to power it from the power supply or make sure the current is 200ma or less.

I got a new to me motherboard since I did not want to try to repair the board.

I been using the new motherboard for 3 years and no issues

Why didn't IGT allow the cabinet I/O board to power the back lit controller (lamp versions) from SENET port then and why did they basically tap into the main power harness (they did it at the PS) and spec out the wire as 18 AWG.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 02:51:14 PM by Foster » Logged

AffordableSlots
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 01:57:31 AM »

Thanks for the pin outs Foster!  +1 (Karma, or whatever)  yes applause applause applause applause applause applause applause yes propeller

Time to try it out!!!
AffordableSlots
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 07:42:27 AM »

Ok, so I tried to wire them in... I got the top lights and the bottom row of lights to light up on the reels, not the center lights... I have gone through the wiring diagram a few times over, and I think I have them hooked up correctly. Is there some reason the center reel lights do not light up? I think it may be the diagram... I didn't understand how the ground wired are together but listed to hook up separate in the diagram. Sorry, I cant get into more descriptive details... I dont have the diagram in from of me... I want to get this to work, but I'm at a stand still right now.
AffordableSlots
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 07:47:02 AM »

These are the pins that a S2000 harness uses
Pin 1 25VDC  Orange Wire
Pin 2 13VDC Red Wire
Pin 4 AGND Black/orange wire
Pin 5 BGND Black/red wire

Pins 2 and 3 are tied together on the board.
Pins 4, 5, and 6 are tied together on the board.         

IF you are looking at the board with it in the machine
6 5 4
3 2 1
is the pin layout on the board (3 reel version)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AffordableSlots
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2011, 07:49:07 AM »

If pins 4,5,6 are tied together on the board.... how can the harness pins 4,and 5 be separate ground wires?

Help!!!
Thanks
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 04:50:54 AM by tellmeaboutit » Logged
Foster
The S2000 GURU
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2011, 08:39:01 AM »

The S2000 actually has 3 grounds
AGND, BGND, and of course a chassis ground.

The AGND and BGND are tied together at the power supply, and at some of the boards as you have noticed.

The only reason they use 2 different ground wire color and labels is to have easily matched color codes for either 13V or 25V and to handle amount of current that the machine requires.

Or the fact hat engineers like to confuse everyone as well.

Have you tried the lamp test in  I/O tests 4.10

The lamps should cycle like this:
1   4   7
2   5   8
3   6   9

It may do more than one pattern so let it go for a few minutes and watch
The lamps on one board are wired in parallel
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 08:53:47 AM by Foster » Logged

AffordableSlots
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2011, 03:11:42 AM »

I have tried the lamp test, and the center lights dont light up on any reels, I have already tested the bulbs too. I think I may have hooked the wires up wrong... I dont have a ground to the chassis. Should I ground pin 6 on the controller board to the chassis?
Foster
The S2000 GURU
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2011, 04:16:02 AM »

No need to ground it to the chassis, since they are tied together at the power supply.

I am thinking your reel controller or reel harness needs to be replaced.
More likely the reel controller.
IF you are up to it, take out the reel harness and test every wire with a meter on continuity, diode or ohm setting.

AffordableSlots
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2011, 09:11:23 AM »

ok I will check the harness. I already tried another reel controler and it is doing the same thing.

Just to clarify... I need to tie pins 4,5, and 6 together on the controller with both the grounds from the power supply? That is how I have it now.. 5 wires are tied together.
Jim
MIDWEST SLOTS
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 288

513-984-2201

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2011, 01:38:24 PM »

first things first!  to add back lit reels to a machine you need the following:  a back lit controller, a harness going from the cabinet I/O board to the back lit controller, a reel harness that  will support back lit reels, and of course the back lit reels themselves.  do you have all of these???   

if you have all these, and you don't have power going to the back lit controller,  then that's all you need to hook up.  the connection on my S-2000 back lit controller only has four wires going to it,  its a six pin connector, so two have no connection. top row= N/C,  Black/red,  Black/Orange,  next row=N/C,  red, orange.  that's all you need.  if all your harness' are correct then you don't have to splice wires together or do anything else. you should be finished and it should work.
as soon as you apply power the back lit bulbs should be on- very dim, but you should be able to see them, all should be on-all three sets.  there should be a three pin connector that hooks up to each set of lights, pin 1 (red/white) of each one is the ground that comes from the reel controller , pins 2-3(red)  on the top set are +13 vdc. pins 2/3 (RED)on the middle set are 13vdc and pin 1(red/gray) is the ground, pin 3 on the bottom set is +13 vdc and pin 1(orange) is the ground.on the back of the reel mech plug  pin 11 = 13vdc, 12= row1  lamps grd.  13=  middle row,  14=  bottom row.

J-1 on the reel controller supplies the back lit reels with the power and control for the lamps. pins 1-2-3 are the 13vdc supply, 4-5-6 are the control for reel #1 ,7-8-9 are the control for reel #2,  10-11-12  are the control for reel #3,  13 -14  have no connection.
this should help you figure out what your problem is

Hope this helps

Jim 

MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma.
AffordableSlots
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2011, 09:18:51 PM »

Thanks Jim, That should help some. I Am still tring to get the correct power wires connected to the controller board. My s2000 does not have a power cable to hook up to the controller board. I have to make one.
AffordableSlots
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2011, 09:27:28 PM »

Jim, It looks like from what you are saying is that pins 1 and 4 on your controller board power supply are not used. I have 25v connected to pin 1, and 13v connected to pins 2 and 3. 4,5, and 6 I have grounded.
Jim
MIDWEST SLOTS
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 288

513-984-2201

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2011, 12:17:06 AM »

Fosters  reply #6  is right on the money.   as you look at the controller board, the power connector J-3 is up in the left hand cornor, the connector next to it is J-1, it goes to the reels,  the connector down in the left hand cornor is the SENET, it goes to the cabinet I/O board connector.the other connector is not used.

the power connector is as follows  top row, left to right  pin 6, pin 5, pin4
                                           bottom row, left to right, pin 3, pin2,  pin 1
                                                               pin6=N/C, pin 5= black/red tracer, pin4= black/ orange tracer,    on the board these three pins are connected together via a trace   
                                                               pin3=N/C, pin 2= red, pin 1= orange wire        on the board pins 3 and 2 are connected via a trace.,
you should find these exact wire colors coming off the power supply connector going down to the power connector on the motherboard, you can tap your power cable pigtails into these for your voltages and grounds. red wire = 13 vdc, orange wire = 25 vdc, black/red wire for the ground, black/orange wire for the ground. if yours is wired like this,  then your reel lites should be on.       

MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma.
AffordableSlots
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2011, 02:29:21 AM »

Ok, thanks, All my reels are lit up dim... Now for the moment of truth. Does it work with my game? I have a vision double cherry bonus pie game. It doesn't light up on wins or make the sounds when it lands on something that should light up. I have the machine already up and running before I added the back lit reels, do I need to change something in the settings or reset the machine?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.