Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 09:38:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Video Slots** Gaming machines
| |-+  IGT PE and PE Plus Poker Games.
| | |-+  PE+ CRT to LCD conversion
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: PE+ CRT to LCD conversion  (Read 140205 times)
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #125 on: January 22, 2012, 11:28:48 PM »

Alex-

I, too, have the GBS-8220.  I presume you've read this entire thread?  If not, start at page 1 and hopefully there will be some useful info for you.

There's a manual you can download attached to the bottom of this post (click here) - it says that the language menu has three choices on it -- English, Chinese, and Exit (to exit that part of the menu).  It's been so long since I've messed with it that I don't remember how to get to that specific menu, but some trial and error got me to that menu where there were only three choices, and I was able to change the language on mine.

Oh, good, check out the video embedded in this post by stayouttadabunker (Mark).  At 2:08 into the video he shows what the menu and then language menu look like on the GBS-8220.  Hopefully that'll get you switched to English.

While I'm highlighting posts of significance, be sure to check out my post here which mentions that the GBS-8220 requires voltage of 5vdc at 2 amps.  If you don't give it 2 amps, it fades out on you.  Also check out Mark's video directly below that post -- for a fleeting second he was able to get the card images to appear, although they appeared well out of sync.  I think sync is the biggest issue we were facing, since the PE+ uses separate horizontal and vertical sync.  The GBS-8220 needs composite sync (as best as I was able to figure out), and will give you the ol' "No Signal" message if the signal it is getting isn't synced.

Let me know if I can help you with this, Alex -- I'm still anxious to get my PE+ machines running with LCD monitors.  yes

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
alex666
« Reply #126 on: February 09, 2012, 02:14:23 AM »

I'm back with news to report on what I've done. IGT Multi Poker 1991.
I used a 7404 and inverted everything. Tied Vsync and Hsync together to
Hsync in.
Now I have a good solid pic but the problem is color is no good ie: redish/pink
and black only. If I can resolve this colors issue looks like fixed done.
Don't know what to think about colors yet.

* DSCF0048.JPG (323.06 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 439 times.)

* DSCF0049.JPG (331.58 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 539 times.)
CaptainHappy
NLG Site Administrator
NLG Site Administrator

Total Karma Storms: 622

I haven't met a Jackpot that I didn't like!!!

« Reply #127 on: February 09, 2012, 02:27:37 AM »

I'm back with news to report on what I've done. IGT Multi Poker 1991.
I used a 7404 and inverted everything. Tied Vsync and Hsync together to
Hsync in.
Now I have a good solid pic but the problem is color is no good ie: redish/pink
and black only. If I can resolve this colors issue looks like fixed done.
Don't know what to think about colors yet.
alex666,

That is good progess, looking great so far!  +1 (Karma, or whatever) for your efforts and sharing! Hopefully someone can help with this solution!!! yes

CaptainHappy CaptainHappy
NLG ADMINISTRATOR

Come sail away, Come sail away Come sail away with me..
knagl

Kevin

« Reply #128 on: February 09, 2012, 03:21:40 AM »

That is good progess, looking great so far!  +1 (Karma, or whatever) for your efforts and sharing! Hopefully someone can help with this solution!!!

My thoughts exactly!  Congrats on your current progress!  applause

A friend of mine who knows the PE+ inside and out (NLG member Stolistic) is out of town right now, but I'll ask him to look at this thread next week and see if he can help.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #129 on: February 09, 2012, 01:20:58 PM »

Finally! A stable picture! Awessome! applause Clap
I hope you figure out the color wires.
How was it done exactly?
It looks like you made yourself an small board connected to the GBS-8220 board we're playing with.
I'd like to try it and see if I can get the colors to work?
Have you tried going straight into the LCD from the GBS-8220 with the color wires
or are they all going into your sync tied board?
alex666
« Reply #130 on: February 09, 2012, 05:47:34 PM »

I simply got a 7404 IC and used pins1 red in pin2 red out inverted.
Then pins 2/3 for green and 4/5 for blue then 8/9 and 10/11 for
H/Vsyncs. All outputs go to Jamma inputs. Seems to work best with
both H/V syncs tied together @ the Hsync input no vert sync in was used. Pin 7=GND pin 14=5vdc +/- 0.25vdc
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #131 on: February 09, 2012, 07:02:03 PM »

Awessome!  yes  Hail
I wonder why the color gets lost though?  Scratch Head 2
Neonkiss
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 436

« Reply #132 on: February 09, 2012, 08:36:01 PM »

Have a friend who saw a LCD conversion in South America. Down there they can get real creative with getting stuff to work. Lack of original parts and no jurisdiction rules and anything goes.
As he explained it to me, they soldered wires to the chip and grabbed the signal before it was inverted on the MPU.
Ran the wires to the front of the tray and installed a connector for the LCD screen.
He said it looked crude but worked good. He was going to put together a board as a retrofit, but got busy with his back-end system he's installing.

I wish he would have taken some pictures.
I think it was the MRO chip produces the red color
MGO is the green color and MBO is the blue
This is why you need matched chip sets as each produces its own color attributes.

I attached a copy of some schematics, see pages 133, 134 and 135
Let me know if this helps you out as it should provide you the info to correct your color issue.

* PE Plus Video.doc (682.5 KB - downloaded 298 times.)

Nothing brings people together better than a common enemy
343 / 60 brothers lost on that day.
alex666
« Reply #133 on: February 09, 2012, 10:03:52 PM »

Maybe Ceronix would be kind enough to release a schematic of the cpa3003 so we can see how they do it. Because they plug into the same connector I believe so they deal with that same signal source apparently for everything. Just called Ceronix got ans.mach. so later. Next I'll try a friend who has an electronic slot service in LV.  Probably the dreaded proprietary info BS hope not.
Neonkiss

Total Karma Storms: 436

« Reply #134 on: February 09, 2012, 11:59:48 PM »

In that case, why not just take a old 1492 chassis and remove the flyback for safety. Then tap into the RGB output to your VGA monitor?
Would that give you the correct output?

Nothing brings people together better than a common enemy
343 / 60 brothers lost on that day.
alex666
« Reply #135 on: February 10, 2012, 12:49:18 AM »

I'll have to look at the 1492 schematic. They have jumpers for various machines
with/without inverted video/sync. I'm not to good on tvs but the 1492 is a bit different I think. I could try to tap somewhere though I'll see what I can do.
My other machines. I've  less serious problems with these.

* DSCF0034.JPG (330.5 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 601 times.)
alex666
« Reply #136 on: February 18, 2012, 05:24:45 PM »

I,m working hard on this still. What I need is some schematic for the Fortune 2
Dollar Poker to see the area of monitor output from mother board. I am zeroing in on this but want to test on my Fortune 2 instead of my PE Multi-Poker. I think I am close to the fix for the conversion. It will require making connections to the motherboard. (Simple to do). I have block diagram only of Fortune II. If I have it fixed it will work on Fortune II and PE both and others.
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #137 on: February 19, 2012, 12:06:27 AM »

Way back deep in this thread somewhere, I think it was Jim that mentioned
something about getting an octo flip or Opto chip.
I don't recall what number of the chip it was but if you got that installed onto the board -
it would flip the signals correctly.
You'd have to do a search for it...
I was going to buy some of the chips to try it on mine
but never got around to it.
alex666
« Reply #138 on: February 19, 2012, 01:58:48 AM »

I need schematic to ID certain areas on Fortune II as compared to PE+. I believe I am making progress need this data to proceed.
knagl

Kevin

« Reply #139 on: February 19, 2012, 10:35:14 AM »

I simply got a 7404 IC and used pins1 red in pin2 red out inverted.
Then pins 2/3 for green and 4/5 for blue then 8/9 and 10/11 for
H/Vsyncs.

Alex-

I was showing this post to my friend Stolistic and when he read it out loud to me, something stuck out that I hadn't caught before.

According to what you posted (quoted here), you have red on pins 1 and 2, but then green on 2 and 3.  To our reading, you have red and green touching pin 2.  Is that correct, and if so, could that be the cause of the botched colors?

Also, would you be kind enough to post a schematic of your breadboard -- even if it's just sketched out in pen and scanned in or something, so we can have a visual of exactly what you're using from the PE+, what kind of chip(s) and transisitors and whatnot you have the signal going through, and exactly where and on what pins you're connected to the GBS-8220?  Now that you've gotten the sync issue, resolved, we're pretty confidifent that we can get the color issue resolved, but it would be extremely helpful if you could post a visual of what you're currently doing with the signal.

Thanks!

alex666
« Reply #140 on: February 19, 2012, 06:33:13 PM »

Here ya go. See the sync inversion here is the same as if it was red I used 1-2r then3-4g then 5-6b then I used 8-9 then 10-11 for V/H sync invert.
This inverts things BUT does not solve anything. We still need something and I think I know so need the print on Fortune II motherboard. I played with the sync variations too still NG. I use my PE+ for $$$$ so do not want use for experiments but I will if necessary.  Note: I just used the board with all that other stuff just to
mount and connect leads to the 7404 in the pix I posted.

* 7404.jpg (9.91 KB, 258x195 - viewed 1402 times.)

* sync inverter.gif (14.1 KB, 576x776 - viewed 507 times.)
TZtech

Total Karma Storms: 129

« Reply #141 on: February 19, 2012, 07:01:51 PM »

Hello Alex

Are You using the RGB signals coming from Your processor board and the inverting them ? I believe this is where the problem is as you are then driving your colours full on or full off. Have a look back in this thread at post 55 where I posted the output driver stage for the PE+. I think it will work If you invert the signal that are driving the transistors You should get a good image.

Ian
alex666
« Reply #142 on: February 19, 2012, 08:18:59 PM »

I know thats what I'm doing. If I get the print I'll have the ans very soon
I hope. Someone should have the Fortune II schematic.
alex666
« Reply #143 on: February 26, 2012, 06:08:54 PM »

After some more research I think I know what is needed. I found a forum  from Europe and in their discussions the same problem plagues them BUT I see they seem to have zeroed in on the problem. I have spoken to the Ertech Co. in Colombia some also. The say frequency doubler needed,spotty info from Ertech.
See the suggested board (no longer avail) attached. I will try to locate more info
the chips shown are not available now. This is a doubler like is needed. The inverting is not the problem that's easy.

* a2320_aga scandoubler.jpg (70.49 KB, 980x712 - viewed 462 times.)
knagl

Kevin

« Reply #144 on: February 26, 2012, 09:48:03 PM »

The GBS-8220 serves as a frequency doubler. It's converting 15mhz CGA to 30mhz VGA (that's what a doubler does). In your setup it is proven that it's doing that successfully since you have a viewable picture on your VGA monitor.

alex666
« Reply #145 on: February 27, 2012, 04:10:11 AM »

Thats what I thought ....
alex666
« Reply #146 on: February 27, 2012, 03:30:25 PM »

Found this wonder if will work different than GBS-8220.

* CGA TO VGA CONVERTER.pdf (632.47 KB - downloaded 325 times.)
alex666
« Reply #147 on: February 27, 2012, 08:25:52 PM »

Well I am pumped now I have found the company who makes these cga to vga converter boards like gbs 8220 AND also makes LCD screens for slots & games.
Waiting reply from them.
alex666
« Reply #148 on: March 07, 2012, 09:33:25 PM »

Still after it. Have new board coming from china I believe will work but price is not good.
Couple weeks I'll know.
alex666
« Reply #149 on: March 13, 2012, 06:58:21 PM »

New board still no good. GBS 8219 XVGA does not work differently than GBS 8220.
So back to the search for the answer.  no
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.