Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 01:14:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  Bally Electromechanical
| | |-+  Bally 873 weirdness
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bally 873 weirdness  (Read 2877 times)
profmike
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 5

« on: January 02, 2012, 09:11:53 PM »

Hi all,
I'm new to the forum- so hello and Happy New Year to all! Hopefully, there's someone reading this who can help me figure out the problem that I'll describe below...here goes....

*and let me say in advance that I committed the cardinal sin of EMs- I didn't play the machine for months. It worked perfectly for the 9 years that I've owned it, but I wasn't able to play it since July due to medical problems. A couple of weeks ago, I was finally well enough to make it downstairs into the gameroom, and of course all my slots had problems. My 809 i was able to fix with a good lube/cleaning....but this one is driving me crazy.*
Anyway:
It's a 10c denom Bally 873. Typical cherries through bells payouts, 100 for bars, and the jackpots are for triple 7s.

Problem 1: It won't step. The machine will accept a first coin and will continue to accept coins, but won't advance to 2nd-5th coin played. It will take as many coins as you put in.
Problem 2: (discovered while playing it as a single coin machine)- I hit the three bars. no pay. Then I held the clock fan and lined up three sevens. No pay. The lower pays are all correct (bell rings, correct # of coins dispensed).

Any ideas, folks???? I'll try just about anything at this point!
(and if I need to post any further info, please let me know)
Thanks in advance,
Mike
Jim
MIDWEST SLOTS
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 288

513-984-2201

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 03:01:04 PM »

step up problem:  after the first coin the handle relay switch has a set of contacts that transfers all in coming coins to the feature step up unit, I would clean the contacts on that switch first, you can manually step the feature unit by pushing the coil plunger, you will see the lights advance, then hit the reset coil on the same unit. if the contacts look black instead of shiny brass, clean and lube those also.

payout problem:  check the contacts on the reel mech boards. they too should not have any dirt build up on them, clean and lube as well.  usually when you jiggle the handle after after a winning combo will tell if the contacts are dirty or by moving the reels slightly.

Jim     

MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma.
profmike

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 05:19:14 PM »

Hi Jim- thanks for the reply & I'll try what you suggested. I've already pulled the step up unit, and  it does advance manually & resets fine when i hit the reset coil while out of the machine....so one dumb question- is there a way, using alligator clips or whatever, to force step the unit while in the machine to check for operation (obviously the lights wont work while there's no power going to them)...or should I just do the cleaning and then see what happens?

And as for the payout problem, I'll do what you suggested. Now I'm even happier that i found this forum and posted....I was blaming the hopper and was about to start fiddling with that! And I really didn't want to open that can of worms.

I'll try these tonight and let you know what happens. (BTW i do have the Mead and the Fey EM service books, but they give conflicting info)...

Thanks again for your help!

Mike
profmike

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 11:14:39 PM »

Hi again...replying to my own post. Sorry if it had "duh" written all over it  Nerd I read your reply too quickly and saw "step up" rather than "handle relay"....guess this is what happens when you work on a machine for days on end (and throw new year's eve in the mix)!
Anyway, contacts on handle relay cleaned, top unit wiper arms removed and all contacts cleaned.....STEP UP WORKING!!!!!

The reels- board 1's contacts are indeed dirty and also in need of adjustment- the ones on reel 1 stop in between, rather than on contacts, so my next step is to clean & adjust those. (makes no sense why the smaller pays work though, as the reel 1 issue should be creating a bridge and causing erratic pays, but it's not).

Thanks again for the help...and btw my other question is still something I'd like to know....is there something I can rig using alligator clips etc for the upper unit? The "logic" behind that idea would be to verify if the orange was getting power properly and at the right times while the upper assembly was still inside the machine and the power on. Now who says there's no such thing as a dumb question?  :-)

Mike
Jim
MIDWEST SLOTS
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 288

513-984-2201

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 11:56:35 PM »

you would have to make a extension cable to do what you want to do. 

the orange wire has 50vac on it all the time, the yellow wire is actually the switched wire that eventually will energize the coil.

Jim

MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma.
profmike

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 12:11:13 AM »

OK, and thanks once again. I'll invent something. And yes,...yellow wire. 10-4 on that! Too much  fiddling with the Em's over the past few has rendered me quite electro-retarded!!!!!
Thank God I've graduated from Mills to the Bally Em's....from springs to contacts, coils and relays! (the IGT fixes seem so easy in comparison to the others)...
Mike
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.