Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 04:41:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  Bally Electromechanical
| | |-+  Bally 809-B (5 coin Multiplier) Won't activate the handle release coil
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bally 809-B (5 coin Multiplier) Won't activate the handle release coil  (Read 6084 times)
t3sk3y
« on: January 11, 2012, 07:27:02 PM »

Hey all..

I just acquired a non-working 809-B that I've been able to get completely working with one exception: the handle release coil will not energize.  If I manually actuate it, I can add quarters 2-5 just fine.. pull the lever, everything.

Here's what I've tried so far:

1) Tested the solenoid by jumpering the non-orange wire to another yellow wire.  Tested fine
2) Bought the Bally manual from Rodger Knutson
3) Checked all the switches in the activation path.. A-1, C-1, Payout Relay (I think I got that one right, at least), the Dashpot Switch, the Coin Relay, and Reel C3.  All look to be closed as per the schematic except for the Coin Relay.  I cleaned these contacts as well.
4) Checked continuity between the normally open portion of the coin switch and the solenoid to verify the switch and the wiring.  All checked out.

I'm a little stumped at this point.. is it the connectors?  Is it something on the coin stepper in the head that isn't activating the Coin Relay?

Thanks,
-Mark.
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 308

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 01:03:26 AM »

Hello... I think what I might check if you have not done it yet is the Beau plugs on the back of the reels to make sure you don't have a pin pushed back and that they are not bent or broken.. I like to clean them with a small soft wire brush. I have sprayed they with WD40, both the male and female plugs, then wiped them as dry as possible and put them together. Doing that has for me fixed a lot of problems..

Gary

If it's jammed, force it... If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway...
Jim
MIDWEST SLOTS
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 288

513-984-2201

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 02:29:41 AM »

it would seem that only the connectors would be the problem.  I also agree with the previous post as to cleaning and lube and inspection.

as for the operation and your description of the path.  my book shows the last set of switches before the handle coil is actually a set of switches operated by that coil.should be a white with a blue tracer and a black with a yellow tracer.  you show it as a reel c-3 switch.

you can hear the coin relay switch activate as you flick the coin wire switch, also the coin accept lamp should come on.  even though the relay has latched doesn't mean the contacts have made. the second set of contacts from the coil are the contacts that pass the ground onto the handle release coil. there colors should be, black/yellow and blue /white. you can test these out of the machine by using your finger to latch and unlatch the relay.

lastly, the path through the coin switch goes to the normally closed post and then onto the "a" switch. if everyting is as it should be, the handle coil is energized when the coin switch returns to the normally closed position of the coin switch.   

Jim

MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma.
t3sk3y
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 04:30:53 AM »

Thanks all for the replies..

I don't hear the coin relay latch when I hit the the coin switch.. I do hear the odds reset coil click, but not the coin relay.  I also don't get the accept coins light.  Does that help narrow down the connector/switch?

Thanks,
-Mark.
t3sk3y
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 06:30:39 PM »

PROBLEM SOLVED!

I had two problems.  Once I realized I wasn't getting the accept coins light, that helped narrow problems down a lot.

My first problem was that the left female Beau plug wasn't seated correctly in its holder and would push back in when the reel mechanism slid in.  Once I secured that, the insert coins light/coin accepted light started working and the coin relay activated as expected.

From there, I put an alligator clip lead at the coin switch and started working through the chain of switches to see what wasn't making connections in the chain of switches between the coin switch and the handle release coil.  I knew I had a winner when I suddenly lost continuity at the dashpot switch.  The switch right before that was the payout relay switch.. and when I tested that one, it wasn't making good contact!   A simple cleaning (along with cleaning the Beau plugs on the hopper unit).. and it worked perfectly!

Thanks all for your help.. my 809-B 5-coin multiplier now works perfectly.  Now I can spend some time on the cosmetics..  amazing how much a little metal polish does for the door!

-Mark.
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 308

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 07:47:48 PM »

Glad to hear you got it working. If you get a chance post a few pics of the machine once you have it all shined up.  Clap

If it's jammed, force it... If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.