Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 08:30:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  Bally Electromechanical
| | |-+  BALLY 956
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: BALLY 956  (Read 4304 times)
malsom
« on: February 02, 2012, 03:23:42 AM »

Hi, New member tonite. Recently picked up a Bally model #956-12 quarter slot machine. The machine looks good and is complete but is pretty sluggish and probably needs a good cleaning. I have aquired 3 Bally slot manuals to get me started. I believe this machine is from the '72-'75 time frame. The other number on the tag is 956-269. Is there anyway to pin down the date of manufacture.  I will be on this site quite a bit for sure. This could keep me busy awhile. Thanks.
malsom
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 03:30:57 AM »

I found the mfg date stamped onto the top of my tag, 6-17-77. Found the "where to look" info on this forum. Thanks. I need to clean up the mechanicals and contacts on this machine. Can I spray down the dirty, oily reel and coin hopper assy. parts with mineral spirits to degrease and contact cleaner on the electrical parts or is there another preferred method?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 05:28:58 AM by malsom » Logged
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 308

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 05:06:22 PM »

Hi and welcome to New Life Games... I sounds like your on the right track with your machine. I have used contact cleaner but I also like to use rubbing alcohol because is drys fast and does not leave a film. The one thing you NEVER want to do is to file or use sand paper on the contacts. I use a folder piece of paper and some rubbing alcohol to clean any contact in question. I my self like to use WD-40 on sticky or frozen parts. For oiling I like a light machine oil like 3 in 1 or there's a plastic bottle with a long pull out nozzle for hard to reach places. I thing it's called Zoom Spout? Good luck with your project.

Gary

If it's jammed, force it... If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway...
malsom
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 06:02:43 PM »

Thanks Gary, Then its OK to clean the parts with mineral spirits? BTW, my 76 year old neighbor ( who gave me this 956 Bally slot machine) used to have a vending business and bought and sold pinball machines as a side line many years ago. He told me they always cleaned the contacts with a $1 bill. Apparently the paper money fabric has the right texture to polish the points.  Leo
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 308

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 06:14:24 PM »

It shouldn't hurt to use the mineral spirits but I wouldn't use it on any electrical parts. I only have used contact cleaner or the alcohol on them.

If it's jammed, force it... If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway...
malsom
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 06:34:52 PM »

Will do. Just need to start wiping  the old grease and crap off the moving parts. My service manual has quite a bit of info on oiling or lubing the moving parts. Kind of anxious to get started on this project. The cabinet and glass are in nice condition. The tower lite is missing. Has a hole at the top of the cabinet. Need to check on that. Thanks, Leo
CaptainHappy
NLG Site Administrator
NLG Site Administrator

Total Karma Storms: 622

I haven't met a Jackpot that I didn't like!!!

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 07:57:45 PM »

Will do. Just need to start wiping  the old grease and crap off the moving parts. My service manual has quite a bit of info on oiling or lubing the moving parts. Kind of anxious to get started on this project. The cabinet and glass are in nice condition. The tower lite is missing. Has a hole at the top of the cabinet. Need to check on that. Thanks, Leo

Check with Barry at FOXSLOTS1 here on our forum for any parts that you need. There is a link to him on our main portal page in the center vendor section for him, and you can PM him on here as well.

CaptainHappy CaptainHappy

Come sail away, Come sail away Come sail away with me..
OldReno
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 175

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 02:31:38 AM »

I kinda like the idea of using 91% rubbing alcohol. But contact cleaner works well on all switch points.  Do not ever use abrasives on your switch contacts, it will carbon them up.  A nice smooth piece of flexible metal will work fine as a contact cleaner.  Pinch them together gently with needle nose.  When you're done with your switch cleaning, be sure to check them all to see that the actuator switch 'moves' the contact switch. And also that it firmly 'breaks'.
For 'sluggishness' you will find that as the machine is plugged in and heats up, it will work correctly.  Cold oil and grease slow it down.  You might try lubing with a very very light oil, or mineral oil if you don't have it plugged in all the time.
malsom
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 02:43:45 PM »

Thanks for the input OldReno. You must be onto something about the cooled temps causing sluggishness in my machine. When I picked up the machine from the former owners home where it was nice and warm, it was working pretty good, meaning the reels were spinning freely. I have it in my workshop which drops to 40 degrees when I am not using it. I plan on working on the machine soon and will kick the temp up to 70.The old feller that had this slot machine also used to buy, sell, and repair pinball machines. Told me he cleaned the contacts with a dollar bill with good results. Thanks again, I will keep checking back with updates and probably more questions. Leo
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.