Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 12:04:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  Bally Electromechanical
| | |-+  831 hopper overrun on any win
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 831 hopper overrun on any win  (Read 2033 times)
butthedd
« on: February 02, 2012, 09:32:33 PM »

This is a new problem that seemed to coincide with my efforts to check the payout reset circuit including adjustment of the zero reset switch on the payout unit. Even a cherry on an unplayed line will either empty the hopper or time out, whichever comes first. The only way to stop the payout (other than unplugging the machine or disconnecting the hopper unit) is to insert another coin. The payout step-up works fine, so I have no idea how power is seemingly bypassing the payout counter spiral circuits. Makes no sense to me.

The original problem I was after still exists. The payout counter doesn't reset when the reels kickoff on the next spin following a win, so only the first payout following a manual reset of the payout unit works properly. The "Winner Paid" light is always on, even after reforming the blades on the zero reset switch to ensure that it would make on the first step up AND break on a (manual) reset.

I'm thinking that this sounds like a shorted circuit. I was checking the zero reset switch circuit and found continuity between the orange wire and the frame of the hopper. Aren't all of the circuits isolated from the metal components like the door/frame/hopper, etc?  It's not blowing any fuses, but I also noticed that someone removed the ground prong from the power plug. I assumed that was done so it could connect to an ungrounded outlet, but now I'm wondering if it was blowing fuses due to a short and this was someone's quick fix. I may inherit more problems but for safety's sake I think I'd like to replace the plug and make sure the unit is properly grounded.

Any help or ideas are appreciated.

bh
Op-Bell
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 326

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 03:09:51 AM »

It sounds to me like you made a mistake wiring the molex connectors on in place of the beau, since all the hopper operations are controlled from the top unit.

The nearest machine to your 831 is the 5-line 873, which is in the Mead book. The general principles and most of the wire colors will be the same.
OldReno
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 175

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 01:43:29 AM »

There should be only two switches which control the hopper reset coil -- the B switch (above the variator above the clock), and the Zero switch.  Meter them both to make sure they are contacting.
Is that a mechanical or electrical stepped hopper?
In a 'clean' machine, there should be no contact between the 70 wire (orange) and case.  You have a short somewhere.
Meter the 70 wire to case, (try unplugged and on ohms) and pull out each unit (hopper, reels, top) to see if and when it disappears.  When it goes away, then you have found your culprit.
Also, during pays, you should NOT be able to insert a coin to stop the pay.  Check your payout relays switches.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.