Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 05:02:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  Bally Electromechanical
| | |-+  Just aquired Bally 847 need help
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Just aquired Bally 847 need help  (Read 13991 times)
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 308

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2012, 04:15:33 AM »

If I remember right the reel shelve might have to be loosened or removed to get the handle box out. I have a possible cause for your top box lights not working. You might want to check to make sure you have a good ground to the lights. I have found in these Bally cabinets before when I've had a certain group out light out for no reason that running a new ground wire to the lights in question that they would start working? Just a thought...

Gary

If it's jammed, force it... If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway...
Phil847bally
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 2

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2012, 02:50:16 PM »

Ordered the handlebox so that is on its way. Hope to get it before the weekend.  The book shows how the box goes together but not how you install it, so its "take my time and lots of pictures along the way" Reno when I am done, I can get you the pictures if you wanted to write the tutorial. It would be my way of giving back to you guys!! (I hope to learn enough about this machine so I can help  someone fix theirs.)

Phil Garey
OldReno
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 175

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2012, 03:25:19 PM »

Gary is correct. Once you remove the 2 screws holding the rail assembly to the back plug bracket, then you will be able to push down the plug bracket, and pan, and that will allow you to eventually remove the rail assembly. There should be nuts holding the rail to the wall in front, and in the back.  Once the rail is out, then it's pretty straightforward.  Make sure you remove your handle bolt before you loosen the bolts holding the handle assembly to the wall.  It should take a bit of torque to loosen it, it's a high quality bolt.  After that, the handle itself will come out if you pull up on the ball and twist it back and forth.
Have fun, and we'll be here if you need us.
Use the Force, Luke....
Phil847bally

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2012, 12:10:34 AM »

New gearbox arrived today. It looks a lot cleaner inside than the one on the machine. Mine seems to have a lot of rust or corrosion which is probably the source of the problem.

Make sure you remove your handle bolt before you loosen the bolts holding the handle assembly to the wall.  It should take a bit of torque to loosen it, it's a high quality bolt.  After that, the handle itself will come out if you pull up on the ball and twist it back and forth.

The handle bolt, I assume is the one that has the actuator for the reels attached? This is what I think should happen in order:

Remove the right side rail assembly
Remove the handle bolt and handle as well as the hub
remove the bell assembly to get to the top bolts of the box
remove the bolts holding the box to the cabinet
Then the box should come out?

Install will be reverse of this.

Before I start, is there anything else to watch for or is it really as straightforward as you say? Is this a logical order to work in? I have my book and new box for reference

I will do this Saturday

Phil Garey
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2012, 12:30:26 AM »

The only thing I would do if I were you is to take many pictures before you start. That way you know where everything goes back inside of your machine. Better to not need the pictures then wish you had stopped long enought to take some.. The thing I would focuses on are your wiring, relays or switchs you may have to remove.  Good luck and have fun. Keep us posted.
Gary

OldReno

« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2012, 12:47:55 AM »

Phil, sounds like you got it.  You may have to loosen the 2 screws on the LEFT side of the pan (the left rail back area) to allow your pan to drop down more fully.  Maybe not, it looks like you have a split pan.You can take the handle bolt and handle fork off first if you wish.
When I disassemble anything new, I generally put the first thing off on a nearby table, the farthest away.  The next thing off goes closer, and the last thing off is nearest me when I finish disassembly.  Always seems to help when I put it back together.
Have fun, and we'll be here if you need help.
Also, when you take off the top 2 handle box nuts, the whole handle release lever, coil, switches and assembly come off as a single unit.  Just set it out of the way and you can pull handle box. Shouldn't even have to touch the bell.

Phil847bally

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2012, 01:02:53 AM »

attached is a pic of old box and the one Barry sent me. Mine on the right. No wonder its messed up!! Also I undid the light board at the top of the machine to look for the grounding wire. Surprise, I did not know all that stuff was up there!! What are all those contacts and wheels and other electrics? Is this where the payouts are calculated? Or is it where it registers how many coins you put in?

As far as the lights go, I think its solved. I pulled the 6V fuse and it looked good but when I pulled it from the cap I noticed a slight burn that was hidden when in the cap. Its no good according to the Ohm meter. I also found a bulb broken. so i'll have to get back to Foxslots!!

* Old and New.jpg (830.76 KB, 936x1080 - viewed 249 times.)

Phil Garey
OldReno

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2012, 01:25:31 AM »

It's hard to tell from the photo, but it appears your Shaft & assembly (part 8 through 14) are not protruding through the hole in the top bracket of your handle assy. You should see the top of the sleeve shaft (#9) popping up through the plate.  It may have gotten pushed down into the handle box.  Put a small screwdriver down through the hole and see if you can fish it back into the opening.   I can't tell from photo, but that would give you your current symptoms.
Anyway, the top box assembly does hold a whole lot of things in it.  And they get very noisy and clicky when they're working.  It is payout stuff, and odds stuff.
Don't ask, haven't worked on one in over 20 years.
But you can drop it down after you get your handle changed, and watch all that cool stuff happening in there. Magic.
BTW, it's a good thing to have lots of grease in the handle box.
Make sure you put some on the threads of your handle bolt before you reassemble.
Phil847bally

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2012, 03:56:56 PM »

Old box is out and with your instructions it really was no big deal. easier than I thought. Got lots of pics!! But I have a question. The new box did not come with a spring that the old one has. Should I install the spring on the new one or do I even need to. It looks like a return spring for the handle lock release paddle but that part without the spring seems to operate fine. Is this just a redundancy item? See pics

* BoxOut.jpg (819.76 KB, 907x1008 - viewed 242 times.)

* Question.jpg (688.03 KB, 1080x835 - viewed 223 times.)

Phil Garey
OldReno

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2012, 05:57:31 PM »

I'd put the spring in just for giggles.
Where your rack lock lever goes through the handle bearing assembly (#20) there are some needle bearings.  You might want to drip some oil down into that to be sure it's lubed. Also a bit of grease where metal works on metal should quiet it down a bit.  I'm sure it was checked before they sent it off to you. A drop of oil on each point where there are bushings, or through holes will help it.
Cool.
Phil847bally

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2012, 06:11:16 PM »

So the problem with the old box has been solved and you will never guess.  Upon comparing the two boxes for what could be wrong, I moved the mechanism on the old box and a key fell out. This key fits the door lock of the machine. It must have been laying flat at the bottom of the box so that when you pulled the handle it acted as a stop. I will put the old box back in and see if that works and I expect it will. This also explains why the prev owner said it was working then it didnt. The key must have been stored inside the machine for some reason and vibration from using the handle knocked it inside where it jammed the box. So I am degreasing the old box and then I'll put fresh grease in  and re-install. I will probably have a good handlebox and door lock with keys for sale soon!!

Phil Garey
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2012, 06:25:18 PM »

You might just want to hold on to the spare parts. These machines are like rabbits, they multiply quickly when your not watching.  rotflmao

Phil847bally

« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2012, 07:42:33 PM »

Just having the one is more than my wife wants!!.    Good news and bad news: Good is that it works!! Pull the handle, it kicks the reels spinning and even my lights work. Bad new is the payouts are not working right. I get something that is supposed to pay out 14 and it empties the hopper and shuts the machine down. But that is for another day.  Time to get the book out again and read some other posts on payouts. I have some bulbs out also but way down on the priority list.

Phil Garey
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.