Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 12:26:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  Bally Electromechanical
| | |-+  What happened? 847 Continental
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What happened? 847 Continental  (Read 6326 times)
Phil847bally
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 2

« on: April 06, 2012, 12:59:25 AM »

Coin in, pull handle (seems to be fine), Reels do not spin and a buzzer sounds. I have left it in this state and have not tried to fix it as I want to know why this happened and how to fix it. After the handle pull, the handle returns but the coin has still registered so I can pull the handle again, and again without more coins. Where do I start with this one?

Phil Garey
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 308

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 01:38:45 AM »

You just had the handle box out of this machine didn't you? It sounds like there is a problem with the release coil and relay mounted on the top of the handle box. That coil energizes when coined up releasing the handle. Once the handle cycles it should open that set of contacts till coined up again.

Gary

If it's jammed, force it... If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway...
Phil847bally

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 02:50:29 AM »

Yes, This handle box was out, then back in. I did not need to remove the bell but the part I circled had to be taken out to remove the handle box. It was working fine. I should be looking for a loose or broken wire in this area? Or possibly the solenoid?

* Handleissue.jpg (262.57 KB, 576x432 - viewed 222 times.)

Phil Garey
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 08:06:48 AM »

First thing I would do it to see if the handle lock out is working correctly. When the coin energizes it drops that long lever that locks out of paw or another lever allowing the handle to be pulled. Once the handle is pulled a rod should pop out the top of the handle box lifting the long lever back up on the relay locking it back up. With it locked in the up position the handle should be locked out. To get your handle to come back up push down on the flat lever sticking out the back side of the handle box. That allows the handles to come back to a starting position.

Gary

OldReno
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 175

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 10:43:42 PM »

When you push your reel mech back in, make sure that your handle fork (the piece on your handle bolt) is engaging onto the roller of the front half gear on the front right side of your reel mech. You should be able to see it slide into place....
Phil847bally

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 04:32:17 PM »

Well I pulled the reels out and checked them for proper operation. All was fine. After I replaced them the machine works as before. So I dont know what happened and I dont know what I did to fix it. Chock it up to one of life's little mysteries.

Phil Garey
OldReno

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 09:09:20 PM »

Marvelous machine.  I'm really jealous.
You gonna start a Continental thread, and post all your new pics for posterity?
Nice job, good persistence.
Phil847bally

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 05:44:27 PM »

Well it happened again and it looks like the mystery is solved. On the right side of the reels where it engages with the handle there is a small part on a pivot pin and a small spring on the back. This engages with the mechanism that kicks the reels. Well this part was not returning all the way and was slipping under the cam that kicks the reels. The reels then will not spin and the handle locks down. Reno is right, keep you oil handy because that is what fixed it. Clean off the gummy oil and put some fresh.

Reno, If you want to start a Continental thread, I will supply any pics you wish and feel free to repost the ones already up on this fantastic forum

* cam.jpg (818.03 KB, 1080x810 - viewed 197 times.)

Phil Garey
Phil847bally

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 05:47:50 PM »

If you want me to start the thread, let me know what the best way is. It would be nice for a library of pictures for these machines in maybe a different section of the site? Other machines could have their own sections also.

Phil Garey
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 08:24:30 PM »

Well it happened again and it looks like the mystery is solved. On the right side of the reels where it engages with the handle there is a small part on a pivot pin and a small spring on the back. This engages with the mechanism that kicks the reels. Well this part was not returning all the way and was slipping under the cam that kicks the reels. The reels then will not spin and the handle locks down. Reno is right, keep you oil handy because that is what fixed it. Clean off the gummy oil and put some fresh.

Reno, If you want to start a Continental thread, I will supply any pics you wish and feel free to repost the ones already up on this fantastic forum
Make sure the roller on that lever gets a drop or two of oil too. That the roller that allows the handle to return to the up right position. It makes contact with the flat lever coming out the back side of the handle box. Most of the time when I get a machine they are frozen or stiff.

OldReno

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 09:17:23 PM »

How about a collaborative effort?  I'm not a Continental expert, and my method of working on them was usually shotgunning first, and looking at schematics as a last resort. It worked for me, but fortunately I could find bent switches and broken wires easily, so didn't often have to look at the prints. To the detriment of my overall understanding of the beast.

It would be cool to try and find a postable schematic on this thing....
That way we could all collectively try to puzzle it out.
Great Pics BTW.
FOXSSLOTS1
Resigned NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 323

Me at work

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 09:51:29 PM »

the schematic for this is over 3 feet long and 2 feet wide - hard to read even at that size so shrinking it ???
Phil847bally

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 12:41:23 AM »

I think I found one on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BALLY-SLOT-MACHINE-WIRE-DIAGRAMS-/350308741681?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5190073231

Seems you choose what machine you want and 847 is on the list. I would be willing to get this if it will help the forum

Phil Garey
Phil847bally

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 12:45:24 AM »

I have a professional flatbed scanner 12x18. Much bigger than standard scanners. FYI, Hi res scanning and fine art printing along with Photoshop and digital retouching is my occupation so stuff like this is fairly easy for me.

Phil Garey
Phil847bally

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 12:50:13 AM »

I just noticed that the Ebay auction is from Mr. Foxslots himself.  Because of that I could not post wiring diagrams that I get from Barry. Unless of course he says it is OK. I would not want to infringe upon a possible sale for him or copyright issues.

Phil Garey
FOXSSLOTS1
Resigned NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 323

Me at work

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 10:01:36 AM »

i don't mind if someone buys my diagrams and they are posted here as long as someone doesn't come along and download and sell them too which has happened with the manuals at one time.  Again this diagram is over 3 feet in length and 2 feet wide - and it is made that size for a reason!!
OldReno

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2012, 02:56:40 PM »

They are large.  The originals spread out probably over 10 feet.
I suspect no one would object too much if portions of the schematic were put up on this site over time.
And I bet a 'not for sale or copy' could be put on these portions.
Must be some way to do this tastefully.
On one hand, we don't want to hurt vendors and slot business people, yet on the other it would sure be nice to have a schematic reference
Phil it seems has the tools and knowledge to be able to post these, and they are probably getting rarer over time.
And again, it makes sense to do this in little bits, rather than try to post the whole darned thing....
So what do we do, kids?
Can these issues be resolved?
Phil847bally

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 01:10:49 AM »

I can put some kind of protection on the images. When I see the schematic I will figure something out. The thing is.... Do I start a new post or should something like this be in another part of this site? Do we need to have a Continental category for repairs and pictures?

I would not be able to scan the whole thing as 1 piece but it would be about 6 or 7 pages. I would do my best to enhance it as much as I can and there would be some overlap between pages. Of course it would be very easy to make 1 file also. I will contact Barry via Ebay and get the diagram. just let me know the best way to present it on the site

Phil Garey
OldReno

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2012, 01:45:04 PM »

Phil, I'm hoping sysop or admin or someone who knows the site better will jump in with suggestions.
I think it's a very worthwhile thing to make schematics or portions of schematics available to EM owners, and at the same time promote the sale of schematics by vendors who have them for sale.
Schematics are a lot of fun, and you always learn something new when you look at them.
Discussions centered on various schematics will be a learning process for us all, and help us understand the functions of these remarkable machines better.
This is a very good project in my mind, and it would be nice for others to put in their 5 cents with ideas on how to do this.
Let's keep at this....
Phil847bally

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2012, 05:08:19 AM »

Schematics for the 847 have been ordered. After I get it, I'll do some test scans and make a new post asking for suggestions. I plan on many more pics also labeled where I can. I have a book with most parts  labeled. Sometimes it helps looking at the actual piece rather than an engineer's drawing. Who is admin of this site? Do you think the facebook page is a better place to contact an admin?

Phil Garey
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2012, 05:27:12 AM »

You could contact them by phone. The numbers can be found on the home page top right.

Gary

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.