Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 04:36:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  Pachislo Slots
| | |-+  Universal 1980's "Super 5 Line" Reel motor not running.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Universal 1980's "Super 5 Line" Reel motor not running.  (Read 7334 times)
dlwright
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 0

« on: October 07, 2013, 01:27:52 AM »

The reel motor is not working when the arm is pulled on this machine. I have created a video to demonstrate the issue. Please feel free to watch it and provide any feedback here in the forum.  Since I made the video I have been able to free up the center reel by pulling the reel module out and re-inserting it. However the motor does not turn and the stop mechanism does not work.
This machine may need a reset but I can not find any other switch to do this. Simple power off/on resets don't work.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/lViA8QU3ooA&rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/lViA8QU3ooA&rel=0</a>

* IMG_20131006_112510.jpg (1841.73 KB, 1944x2592 - viewed 307 times.)
uniman
Senior Full time Member.
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 695

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 02:13:37 AM »

I believe that machine uses the 8116 mpu board. It should be in a metal case with vent holes. Look for a round hole in the center bottom of the case. The hole should be about 1-1/2" in diameter. In that hole should be a small flat black push button. Try holding this button in while powering up the machine, hold for about 3 secs and release. That will clear the ram.

I have no experience with skill stops but this sounds like a motor problem on the reel. Can you swap the reel with another and see if the problem follows?
dlwright

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 03:35:49 AM »

Here are some pics of the boards in the upper part of the enclosure. I will look for the button you are talking about. (I'm not at the machine right now).  If you see the button in these pictures please let me know. I don't have another reel module for this to test. Thanks for you input.

* IMG_20131006_111252.jpg (2024.53 KB, 2592x1944 - viewed 292 times.)

* IMG_20131006_111225.jpg (1572.62 KB, 2592x1944 - viewed 329 times.)
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 308

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 06:43:47 AM »

That machine looks a lot like a Bally from the 1980's.  Take the reels assembly out and look at the under side. My guess is that you have a bunch of small linkages and levers on cross shafts. They are going to need to be cleaned and oiled. There should be three small solenoids that lock the reel in place when they stop. Check the levers connected to the solenoids, they should pivot on a small cross shaft. If the are sticky or frozen then your reels won't kick and spin. Then check to see if there are any switches in the back left outside corner. A Bally has two switches that work off a cam call kick & arm switches. This all just a guess off my Bally experance. Take pics of the reels assembly, top, bottoms & sides.

Gary

If it's jammed, force it... If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway...
uniman
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 695

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 10:57:19 AM »

Not an 8116 board.
I see no RAM memory chip so just a basic machine with no memory I believe. And no board battery to power a RAM chip. So nothing to clear.
Looks like an EPROM for each reel (#1, #2, #3)

If possible I would see if you can swap reels, like plug #1's connector to #2's reel and #2's reel to #1's. Not sure if this is possible? Then run it. Then you could determine if the reel motor is the problem or the electronics driving it are the problem.
cowboygames
Abbys Dad
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 680

Happiness in life is a great dog

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 12:30:49 PM »

After watching your video, I would suggest checking the reel stop switches on the door for proper operation. I don't know much about pachis, but it looks like the number 2 reel switch could be shorted and causing the reel to lock up as soon as the handle is pulled. For more history and clues, can you tell us if the machine was working and this is a new problem? Did you just acquire it and this is how you got it? Tell us a little more. As Uniman suggested, have you tried swapping the reels to different reel positions to see if the problem follows the reel or stays with the reel position?
dlwright

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 01:26:45 AM »

I just purchased this machine and have not seen it work properly. Was told that is was working, but it has been moved around recently. I went through it and reseated all the connectors. I made another video of the the Reel detail and board.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/GOzuJ3JgVBw&rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/GOzuJ3JgVBw&rel=0</a>

Here are some photos also. There is not a lot of electronics in the reel assembly and I am not able to swap out the connectors for each wheel to test.

I have more still photos of different angles but the video covers it better. Thanks again for your help.

* IMG_20131007_110702.jpg (1926.98 KB, 2592x1944 - viewed 302 times.)

* IMG_20131007_110546.jpg (1770.15 KB, 2592x1944 - viewed 299 times.)
proten

Total Karma Storms: 210

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 01:44:49 AM »

Have you tried putting it back together
and running it after finding the stuck arm?

One step at a time.
dlwright

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 01:49:24 AM »

Yes I did. No change.
dlwright

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 01:52:13 AM »

The reels now all 3 turn freely however the motor is not running to turn them and stops do not work when buttons are pressed.
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 01:56:23 AM »

I would try disconnecting the power leads to the #2 reel solenoid and see if the game works other than not being able to stop the #2 reel with the player panel button. If it does then I would look for a short in that button circuit. To me, it looks like the handle just initiates reel spin, but the motor and belt drive actually make the reels turn. When you push any particular reel stop button it activates that stop solenoid and keeps it in that state until all reels are stopped. Pulling the handle again would reset the solenoids and start the process all over again. Just my thoughts...
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 01:58:13 AM »

Shoot, you guys type faster than me. Try to get it back to the original problem state and try what I said. Or try it anyway...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.