Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 10:20:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Video Slots** Gaming machines
| |-+  IGT I-Game and Game King.
| | |-+  UPDATE 9/24: Help...Still have color issue after new LCD!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: UPDATE 9/24: Help...Still have color issue after new LCD!  (Read 37353 times)
inkyspal
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 10

« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2013, 10:04:03 AM »

Good morning.
Using the wiring diagram that Tilt posted earlier, I was able to find the 3 wires that control the color.  Yes, my multimeter showed continuity on all 3 wires.  However, I'm still not convinced that the problem isn't there.  I was reading online yesterday about computer monitors that have color issues and from what I read, it is almost always something wrong in the cable or a connector, just like Rickhunter said above.  So, I thought I should focus a little more time on this harness.    Yesterday, after I hung up with Buzz, I went to Radio Shack and bought some wire and some connectors.  I didn't have time to work on the machine at all last night, so I will tackle it today.  I'm going to try and rewire those 3 color wires and see what happens.  If I still have the color issue then the only remaining culprit seem to be the motherboard.  All of the pins where the harness plugs into the motherboard look fine.  I will post later today with an update.   Thanks everyone for all of the help!  Someday I'll get this resolved...I hope!  
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 10:14:55 AM by inkyspal » Logged
Neonkiss
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 436

« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2013, 11:36:45 AM »

Any chance of when the shipping company dropped the crate, it jarred some loose coinage around and landed behind the motherboard?

At one point in time, that motherboard needs to be removed and checked for burnt traces or a stuck coin in behind shorting out something.

K+ to all in this thread for trying to help out a new slot owner that purchased a machine off ebay. Sure wish the ebay seller would have stepped up and provided a working solution to the buyer or the fix may be an insurance claim from the shipping company. This has been a bad way to start on a newly purchased machine. Inkyspal, if you ever buy another machine, check with the reputable seller here first. You'll get a good working machine and support. ebay can really be a crap shoot.

Nothing brings people together better than a common enemy
343 / 60 brothers lost on that day.
inkyspal

« Reply #77 on: September 28, 2013, 12:25:07 PM »

DRUM ROLL PLEASE......

I wasn't expecting to have such good news this early in the day!   
I was about to begin my rewiring adventure and was down in the machine taking another look over the motherboard.  Below where the monitor plug goes into the motherboard, there is a long port with lots of pins sticking out.  Above it is the word "Reels".  Nothing is plugged into this port, but my husband happened to notice that many of the pins on it were very bent and some were touching each other.  He took a screwdriver and carefully moved the pins apart so that none were touching.  I really didn't think this would have anything at all to do with my color issue, but I stuck the monitor back in just to see...turned the power on...and voila...perfect colors!   Can you believe it?  How could this unrelated plug have anything to do with colors?  I'm guessing that the touching pins were causing a short?   Here is a photo that I took of it...you can still see some of the pins are very bent.    I am pretty sure I know what caused this, too.    When I received the machine, at some point during transit the power supply box that attaches to the back bottom of my machine had come loose and was no longer attached.  I'm thinking that during transit it had bounced all over the place and probably hit these pins.  That's the only thing I can think of that could've done this.  (Yes, Neonkiss, I've definitely learned my lesson about eBay...the next time I buy a slot machine it will be from a reputable seller!  I think this machine was fine when it left his house, but due to his insufficient crating and packing, it was not properly secured to withstand the ride & the carrier's rough handling.)   

So, after a long & exhausting journey to get this fixed, my game is finally the way it was intended.   A huge thank you to everyone who offered help.   Thank you to Buzz for sending me the board to try.
 CaptainHappy  Off to play my game!     
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 12:31:29 PM by inkyspal » Logged
Neonkiss

Total Karma Storms: 436

« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2013, 12:35:11 PM »

The Wave Dancing Party The Wave
Congratulations

That was it, something shorting out the 960 motherboard....

Good job, enjoy the machine and your new monitor. You've come a long way baby...
(ok, I'm showing my age with that quote)

Nothing brings people together better than a common enemy
343 / 60 brothers lost on that day.
tacman
NLG Document, Media Gallery and FAQ Writer

Total Karma Storms: 446

Genius in training.

« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2013, 12:47:30 PM »

Nice job, glad you got it fixed. With the original problem of loose SIMM and disconnected power supply and the bent pins, I would go through the machine and make sure all plugs and parts are secure. With that rough shipping, even though things are working, they could be loose and cause a problem in the future. Also consider letting members know what shipping company was used.

Dan (tacman)

inkyspal

« Reply #80 on: September 28, 2013, 01:02:36 PM »

The shipper used Fed Ex ground....which has a weight limit of 150 lbs...which is what he declared on the paperwork.  You all know it weighed far more than that!  The CRT that was in it alone weighed 50!  I'm really surprised they took it.  There's no telling what the machine went through!
Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 233

« Reply #81 on: September 28, 2013, 01:03:34 PM »

Outstanding!  Congrats!

Jason

Yoeddy's IGT Slot Machine Videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/Yoeddy1
Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #82 on: September 28, 2013, 01:07:32 PM »

Oh, and post up a photo of the machine in it's glory!  Smiley

Jason

inkyspal

« Reply #83 on: September 28, 2013, 01:10:58 PM »

Oh, and post up a photo of the machine in it's glory!  Smiley

Jason

Thanks!   Gotta go out for a little while.  Will post one later today.
Tilt
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 366

« Reply #84 on: September 28, 2013, 01:34:48 PM »

Congratulations!   I'm glad to hear you found and fixed the problem.   Clap  I just marked up the schematics showing the signal flow from the 3902 board, through the Motherboard, and through the cable going to the back of the monitor.  I'll post them anyhow for future reference.  If you look at it you'll see the Red, Green, & Blue signals from the MPU board (changes signal name to RV19, 20, & 22 on motherboard schematic), gets split on the motherboard, with a set going to J17 (Reels connector) and the other to J5 (Monitor connector).  So a short at J17 would also effect the signal at J5.

Buzz,

My bet was on the 3902 MPU board too, because that's where the signals are generated using CMOS chips and other semiconductors that are more prone to fail than a series resistor and a cap on the motherboard.

Cowboy,

The slave monitor connector has a couple more pins that the J5 monitor connector, so the cable won't fit.  It appears that connector was designed for use with some type of different Multimedia board.

* Pages from 17in GK+ Upright Diagrams.pdf (471.15 KB - downloaded 210 times.)
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

Total Karma Storms: 680

Happiness in life is a great dog

« Reply #85 on: September 28, 2013, 02:22:57 PM »

Thanks Tilt, guess I need to pick up and study a Coue different machines so I can speak from knowledge on them. Or just take a vacation and go fix some machines at Buzz's house rotflmao
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #86 on: September 28, 2013, 04:47:35 PM »

inkyspal  Not a Whole lot I can add GOOD WORK  Not many new slot owners could do what you just did.

Now you have just got to tell us, who's Inky ??  Husband, dog, cat or a pet pig in the back yard.

Rob if you want to fix all my junk, make it a long vacation your gonna need it. Always Welcome.

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #87 on: September 28, 2013, 04:57:10 PM »

inkyspal  Not a Whole lot I can add GOOD WORK
Now you have just got to tell us, who's Inky ??

Perhaps a fan of Pac-man?  Smiley

Jason

inkyspal

« Reply #88 on: September 28, 2013, 09:49:17 PM »

Ha ha....yes, I'm definitely a Pac Man fan.  Grew up in the 80's and played it all the time.  However, Inky was actually my cat.  I had him for 17 years.  He was white with black spots...when he was a kitten, he looked like he'd been splattered with ink.  Sure do miss him.

As promised, here's a photo that I just took of my machine:

You know, when I received this slot machine about 6 weeks ago, I didn't know an MPU from a CRT...much less how to use a clear chip and change out software!  Had never even seen inside one before.  I learned so much about many facets of this device, from sheer necessity.  If it weren't for this forum, I would probably still be back at ground zero with a non-functional machine.   So glad a place like this exists with good folks who are generous with their knowledge. 

Tilt
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 366

« Reply #89 on: September 28, 2013, 10:02:12 PM »

Nice looking machine!   +1 (Karma, or whatever) for sticking with it and getting it fixed.  Congrats!
Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #90 on: September 28, 2013, 11:46:23 PM »

Awesome machine!  Run away while you can...this site can cause you to spend a lot of money!  Smiley

Jason

rickhunter
SMAA Founder and Chairman

Total Karma Storms: 226

I Void Warranties

« Reply #91 on: September 29, 2013, 12:35:12 AM »

There's a theory floating around this site, that if you turn off all the lights in the room with your machines, they will multiply before you know it.  It's a mystery!

A slot collector is like a coin hopper in a machine that never pays out.  they just keep on accumulating assets.
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #92 on: September 30, 2013, 01:43:24 AM »

Congrats on getting your machine fixed!

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
suncatalyst

Total Karma Storms: 5

« Reply #93 on: October 03, 2013, 07:51:06 AM »

Congrats on getting your machine fixed. Sorry im late to the party but my health hasnt been good.

i would buy from the vendors here as they will support what they sell.. Ebay is a mixed bag. never know
what you will get.

Enjoy your new toy....
CaptainHappy
NLG Site Administrator
NLG Site Administrator

Total Karma Storms: 622

I haven't met a Jackpot that I didn't like!!!

« Reply #94 on: October 03, 2013, 07:45:52 PM »

Thanks Tilt, guess I need to pick up and study a Coue different machines so I can speak from knowledge on them. Or just take a vacation and go fix some machines at Buzz's house rotflmao

Cowboy,

Let me know when you are going to Buzz's House in advance so that I can bring up a few machine's for you to fix!!!!  Cry Laughing bust gut laughing rotflmao Crazy Cry Laughing I am too busy and lazy to do it on my own! Silly Me! Duh! frying pan Cry Laughing

CaptainHappy CaptainHappy

Come sail away, Come sail away Come sail away with me..
CaptainHappy
NLG Site Administrator
NLG Site Administrator

Total Karma Storms: 622

I haven't met a Jackpot that I didn't like!!!

« Reply #95 on: October 03, 2013, 07:50:40 PM »

inkyspal: GREAT JOB!!!!  Hail Clap applause  Congratulations

And for everyone in this thread, look out I see a  lightning bolt lightning bolt lightning bolt +1 (Karma, or whatever) KARMA STORM  +1 (Karma, or whatever) lightning bolt lightning bolt lightning bolt coming!!! YOU ROCK!!! Thanks

CaptainHappy CaptainHappy

Come sail away, Come sail away Come sail away with me..
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.