Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 11:28:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  General NLG Chat
| |-+  Welcome wagon and General Chat (Off-Topic Post Welcome) (Moderator: Ron (r273))
| | |-+  Anyone with photography experience??
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anyone with photography experience??  (Read 8005 times)
Bettor Slots
Senior Full time Member.
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 751

« on: May 20, 2010, 02:18:50 PM »

I would appreciate some advice from anyone with photography experience.  I am having an instance where a particular machine that I am trying to document is not coming out well.  The game is an I-game with Neon Nights glass in it and it's original topper.  

Pictured below is the typical representation and quality that I am looking for...I am happy with the results on Creatures that you see.  I just have a 60 watt bulb above slightly to the left of the machine and 3'-0" above.  I get some depth with a little bit of shade and shadow going on.  I also get reflection of the chrome which I think is important to see.  I am using a Canon Powershot SX20 IS digital camera.

* BLACKLAGOON1-1000.jpg (330.76 KB, 608x1020 - viewed 233 times.)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 02:28:40 PM by Bettor Slots » Logged

If life is like a box of chocolates....why do I always seem to end up with the butter creme?
Bettor Slots
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 02:24:02 PM »

My problem child is Neon Nights....when I stand in front of the machine, it looks nothing like the photo that is coming out and is a poor representation.  Not sure how they did it but the text on the glass really looks NEON...and I am getting lens flares.  I am not seeing the same sharp detail on the glass like I do on the Creatures.  In addition the LED's are just blasting light as you can see in the topper so you do not see the detail on the Vegas insert.  First pic is in the same light.  Second pic is at a slight angle as I was trying to see if I could improve it with angle and no top lighting.

Is there something I can so with the settings on the camera or is there a filter of some sort that I could use to correct this?

* NEON1000-1.jpg (199.5 KB, 510x1140 - viewed 241 times.)

* NEON1000-2.jpg (162.67 KB, 538x1140 - viewed 220 times.)

If life is like a box of chocolates....why do I always seem to end up with the butter creme?
Bettor Slots
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 02:32:58 PM »

As a side note...I am having a similar issue when taking shots of machines with Progressives in them.  It seems to mess with the auto focus of the camera and I am getting results like the picture below.

* TDPROG1-1000.jpg (302.53 KB, 585x1046 - viewed 228 times.)

stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 02:35:44 PM »

I'd give Statfreak a ring...he's a very, very good photographer...
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 02:36:12 PM »

Jim     Stat is a expert with a camera.  He thinks his camera's name is Mastercard, he never leaves home without it.  stir the pot / get cooking stir the pot / get cooking stir the pot / get cooking

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
slot monkey
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 402

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 02:40:41 PM »

Hey Jim

I found this info that might help.

slot monkey
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 402

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 02:41:28 PM »

OOOOOOPPPPs, i forgot the link, haha

http://www.ehow.com/video_5238595_photograph-neon-signs.html
Bettor Slots
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 03:26:20 PM »

Thanks guys...watched the video....interesting.  I'll PM Stat as well.

theDotster
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 219

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 04:10:47 PM »

What type of camera do you have?

If you can change the aperture then make that smaller (use a higher number like 22 or more) or reduce the shutter speed. to 250/1. Either way will reduce the amount of light getting into the camera.

Whatever you do there will be a trade off between the bright areas and the dark.

If you wanted to get really technical then you could put the camera on a tripod, take one picture with the darker stuff exposed correctly and then take second picture with the brighter stuff exposed correctly and then merge the two, but you'd have to be pretty good at photoshop and layers!

When I die, I hope my wife doesn't sell my machines for how much I told her they cost.
Bettor Slots
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 12:28:27 AM »

Hello Mr. Dot,

Its a digital camera...Canon Power Shot SX20IS.  Maybe it will allow me to adjust the shutter speed....darn I hate reading manuals  Duh!  I see what you are saying though....if I change the shutter speed to reduce the light, but then the other areas that are already dark might get too dark.  I'll try some trial and errors with different speeds and compare.

thanx for the help  applause

PWRSTROKE
Resigned NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 246

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 12:39:05 AM »

Well,  I know a lot about a lot of things and cameras is limited on my part-Sorry.  But we could take the neon lights and put it on top a Naked women and see if it comes out ok,  That would be a pretty good test- Scratch Head Cry Laughing. >>B.
Super Joker
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 37

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 03:32:35 AM »

The higher contrast with the brighter, concentrated-area lights on the neon game will give your camera fits. Try taking a pic or two with a little additional light (not a flash, unless you've got a softbox with a variable output pack).

I'm also afraid that even with a tripod and manual shutter, the brights are still bright enough to cause washout without the additional lighting.

Sheets are also a good, cheap tool to use to toss over a lamp, to soften and diffuse lighting.

If nothing else, if you can get the neon stuff to come out right in a pic (and not be washed out - OK if the other stuff is slightly darker), running the digital image through Photoshop CS 4 (preferably), and using the shadow/highlight tool might give you a presentable image.

Try metering your camera on the hotter lights, lightly touch the shutter to "lock" those settings, and then re-center your camera and shoot - without lifting your finger (and losing the held settings).

Super Joker is Wild! Anywhere!
Bettor Slots
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 03:47:40 AM »

Sheets are also a good, cheap tool to use to toss over a lamp, to soften and diffuse lighting.

Thanks for the input.  Are you suggesting that I place a film behind the glass where the text reads "Neon" to diffuse the light?  Suggestions on material if so?

theDotster
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 219

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 04:38:13 AM »

If you'd like to ship the troublesome machines to me, I'd be glad to have a go at taking some pictures for you.  yes arrow

* machine2.jpg (217.43 KB, 800x527 - viewed 223 times.)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 04:44:58 AM by theDotster » Logged

When I die, I hope my wife doesn't sell my machines for how much I told her they cost.
Bettor Slots
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 05:09:13 AM »

Heh...you got it.  Hey I like your insert 10P....is that pounds or potatoes?  I know you Brit's like your taters.

stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2010, 11:26:38 AM »

lololol....might be Pesos?  arrow
I prefer Poutine... Tongue Out
Super Joker
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2010, 01:09:01 PM »

Thanks for the input.  Are you suggesting that I place a film behind the glass where the text reads "Neon" to diffuse the light?  Suggestions on material if so?

No, toss a sheet over a lamp in the room, to provide more ambient lighting - this will help eliminate harsh shadows in the room. No need to start messing with the game lights.

I know you want to go for the dark room and glowining lights of the machine - and you can achieve that effect with a manual camera setting, tripod, and a little more light in the room.

IFFV68
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 32

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2010, 02:43:21 PM »

we all have an answer,
depending on the type of camera & lens limits you ability to take the photo you want.

I turn off all the lights in the room,  leaving only the machine lights on. Set the camera to Programmable, no flash or extra lighting. Shoot at a very slight angle, presto, photo, all the edges are black,you only see the machine. The colors are enhanced. It works for me. I'm not a pro. Just like taking photo;s.
I would post but unable to shrink.
just my $.02
thank you
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2010, 03:08:54 PM »

Some people take pictures of their machines outside in broad daylight in the driveway...
don't know why,  but they end up looking pretty good.
One picture that comes to mind was one of an old S+ machine with the "Wurlitzer" glass kit installed...
The photos of it, as I recall, were taken outside,  and the machine looked like it was in mint condition!
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2010, 03:30:23 PM »

Bunker  that's all true, but some of the junk I have you wouldn't want to see in any kind of light !!!!   Do they make buttons with Braille ?????    Help Help Help

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
Super Joker
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2010, 04:24:39 PM »

I turn off all the lights in the room,  leaving only the machine lights on. Set the camera to Programmable, no flash or extra lighting. Shoot at a very slight angle, presto, photo, all the edges are black,you only see the machine. The colors are enhanced. It works for me. I'm not a pro. Just like taking photo;s.
I would post but unable to shrink.
just my $.02
thank you

He's saying that that's worked out well for his other pics. Unfortunately, the neon machine has some "brighter" brights - and that's causing the issues.

If you take 5, 60 watt bulbs, turn them on, and take a pic, they turn out fine. If you do the same thing, but change one bulb to 150 watts, you'll end up with the 60's being too dark (to get the 150 to look good), or the 150 washing out the photo (to get the 60's to look good). That's essentially what's going on here. If the 150 was, a 75 watt bulb, it would look fine. Which is essentially the way most of the machines are. This is the best analogy I could think of.

jdkmunch
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 624

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2010, 10:27:03 AM »

Any luck yet?

Whenever I have a similar problem I add more light behind the camera and it takes care of the problem.  

I messed with the settings once and did get a good picture, however I had to reset the camera because all normal shots were messed up/
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.