Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 10:22:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S2000 and Vision Games.
| | |-+  Flashing Netplex Link Down and I'm stuck
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Flashing Netplex Link Down and I'm stuck  (Read 22311 times)
crgadyk
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 35

« on: August 12, 2012, 07:10:23 PM »

First off, I know there is a ton of posts on here about Netplex Link Down and there are even ones about it flashing as well. I've read every single one at this point and I'm still stuck. I bought 3 S2000 5 reels that were missing software. I've gotten all of the software but I'm getting this flashing Netplex thing and don't know where to go next. The machines came out of a batch that a friend picked from as well and over 20 of the 24 he bought started up right away without issues. I for some reason picked 3 out of 3 with problems.

The machine will light up when turned on, reels stiffen up, and netplex link down is shown. After about 3 seconds it starts flashing in 1 second intervals and it acts like its not getting power. Ticket printer flashes, VFD flashes, and 3 lights on the MPU flash. The top 2 green lights, the bottom 2 amber lights, and bottom green light stay on all the time. The top 2 amber lights as well as the red light are on the same cycle as the VFD and ticket printer. I've tried clearing it several times just to be sure and I have a key 31 which appears to do what its supposed to do when I put it in.

Out of the 3 games, 2 of them have enhanced MPUs so I'm focused on those 2 at this point since they are the same. I'm getting the same symptoms in both machines even after trying 4 seperate power supplies, 3 different MPUs, 3 different base chips, different I/O cards, and 2 completely different cabinets. I took one of the machines competely apart down to the bare cabinet just so I could unplug and reseat everything within the machine with no change in outcome. I've tried uplugging the ticket printer and bill validator to eliminate some of the netplex devices to see if that would help and nothing has changed.

I'm at the end of my troublshooting knowledge so hopefully somebody has some ideas I can try. I'm almost to the point of scrapping these things and going back to an S+ since my excursion into S2000s hasn't been so great thus far Silly Me! If it wasn't for my girlfriend wanting to play these things, they might have ended up at the curb already  Crazy If there are any particular pictures anyone would like me to take, just let me know.

Neonkiss
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 436

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 09:50:50 PM »

I know you said you tried a Key 31
But did you clear the machine with a 97 clear chip?
I think the actual number of the chip is IVC00097

That should clear CMOS and EEPROM
Not positive that this is the issue, but it is the first place to start.

Otherwise get a known good working CPU from your buddy for testing purposes.

Nothing brings people together better than a common enemy
343 / 60 brothers lost on that day.
Foster
The S2000 GURU
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 345

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 12:08:33 AM »

I hope you are only putting the key chip in long enough to get the 2 amber lights then re-install the base chip.
Check to make sure that none of the harness is not damaged or being pinched in the door hing if an upright machine.
Both batteries are still on the Enhanced MPU, and voltage is good on both, 2.7V or higher is good (button 3V, rechargeable 3.6)
It sounds like your green battery is not holding a charge
I created the symptoms you are having when I disconnected rechargeable battery on my enhanced mpu because I wanted to remove it like many do on the 50X boards
You can not remove either battery

Since you know how to take the machine apart maybe I or someone closer can test the MPU/motherboard and I/O cards for you. to make sure they are not the issue
I can if they are 3 reel themes (no vision or reel touch themes) no cost other than you pay shipping each way.

A Slot Machine and Coca-Cola Addict!!
"If it is not broke do not fix it" I keep forgetting that!
crgadyk
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 11:28:42 AM »

Thank you foster for the offer. My friend that bought the 20+ machines has a few 5 reels up and working so I guess my next step is to get ahold of him and get the boards tested. I wondered if the green battery could cause the issue, I left the machine running for a few hours last night to see if it would charge up and I did for a little bit get it to stop flashing but couldn't get any further. I need to let it run for a bit again and then test the voltage to see how dead it is. If its dead I'll find a battery store around here and get one of them replaced to see if thats the issue. I did see that one of the batteries looked like it was just starting to corrode so that's probably my issue. I need to get them off of there before they do any real damage to the board.

I appreciate the suggestions and I'll check back in once I make changes or progress.
crgadyk
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 10:13:53 PM »

Ok it took me a while to get the batteries shipped in and installed. Stupid work always getting in the way.

Both batteries were definitely dead. Coin cell battery was at .1 and the green battery was at .8

I replaced them both but I still get the exact same flashing netplex link down issue. I'm going to start over from a full clear and key to see if that helps. I looked to see if any wires appeared damaged and nothing seems to look wrong. Everything inside the machine is clean and looks good.

If the clear/key doesn't help I guess I'll swap out the power supplies again to see if that is the issue. Then if that doesn't work I guess its time to drive to a test machine  Duh!
crgadyk
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 01:00:49 AM »

Just an update to what I've done so far. I replaced both batteries on 2 enhanced MPUs and tried with both of them (including 2 different daughter boards). I also tried both MPUs in 2 different cabinets to test with different power supplies/IO cards/motherboards. Both boards have the same flashing Netplex Link Down in both machines.

Odd things I found...
It doesn't flash when clear or key chip is in the machine.
The clear never shows a 2nd amber light, it has 2 green and the first amber (I don't know if that is normal or not on an enhanced board)

I'm stumped at this point.
CVslots

Total Karma Storms: 432

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 02:44:37 AM »

Bent leg on a chip???  Not just your clear or key chip, but all that have been removed/reinserted...Got the same thing before on 1 Amber light.....I don't know, just a thought.  Scratch Head Scratch Head

I've only had a Netplex Down that wouldnt clear from a power supply, and you have eliminated that.  

cowboygames
Abbys Dad

Total Karma Storms: 680

Happiness in life is a great dog

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 02:48:47 AM »

Have you tried swapping motherboards with known good ones?
crgadyk
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 03:24:05 AM »

I don't have any known good ones. I just tried the 2 motherboards in the 2 cabinets that I have.

As for the bent pins, I did check all of them but didn't see anything. I tried two different daughter boards with different game, version and base chips and got the same result with either set of chips.

I have 1 more power supply to try in a machine. One of the 4 I have is bad since I see a busted cap but still I wouldn't think 4 out of 4 would be bad. My buddy bought a butterfly 7s 5 reel out of the same group mine came from and his was working. He had it turned off for a couple weeks and turned it on the other day. He's now getting the same flashing netplex link down as well.
CVslots

Total Karma Storms: 432

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 03:26:26 AM »

You know...a question, and no offense in any way, but did you check the voltage on the new batteries AFTER you installed them?? More than once, we've grabbed a "new" battery, soldered it on, and no dice....sounds simple, but its happened!

Roslyn

Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 04:50:58 AM »

I haven't messed with enhanced boards very much but I seem to recall there is a fuse on the mother board.

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2012, 06:51:24 AM »

You'd be right Buzz, two of them in fact at the bottom center.
Neonkiss

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2012, 10:47:14 AM »

Also as far as daughter boards go, check the enhanced memory board connections.
Remove the 6 screws and pull the board. Then check the board for bent connections. This is where I find many of the issues where everything else at that point checks out good. Those pins are tiny and alignment has to be perfect or a pin will bend when installing the board.

crgadyk
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2012, 11:56:57 AM »

I'll definitely check for bent pins on the daughter boards today. I'll also check the fuses on teh motherboards.

I checked both batteries on both boards. The coin cells were both around 2.8 and the green batteries were around 3.1.

It has to be something simple that I'm missing since its happening in 2 machines with multiple parts. Its frustrating to have no change in symptoms but I'll keep plugging away until I figure out the reason.
crgadyk
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2012, 09:42:42 PM »

Ok so I checked the fuses on both motherboards and both sets tested fine. No bent pins in sight anywhere.

Am I at the point now where I just break down and start throwing money at it with working parts? My buddy's only working 5 reel that I was going to use to test is the one that just started having the same issues I'm having now.

Since I'm clueless as to what it might be, which parts should I start with first? I'd hate to buy more extras of parts that won't help me.
Foster
The S2000 GURU
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 345

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2012, 03:48:23 AM »

Have you checked the voltage on the Green battery NiMH on the MPU?

A Slot Machine and Coca-Cola Addict!!
"If it is not broke do not fix it" I keep forgetting that!
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2012, 04:02:30 AM »

Foster  Reply #13

harp

Total Karma Storms: 46

Always on the road

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2012, 07:22:35 AM »

Have you checked checked your Power Supply behind the Reels?

Other things that can cause NP Down, bad BV or Printer

Harp
Ron (r273)
NLG Welcome Wagon & General Chat
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 401

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2012, 11:15:16 AM »

On an S2000 the netplex components are your Bill Validator, Thermal Printer, VFD, 7 Seg, and Spectrum Display.
Anyone of these that have a bad connection will give you that message.
And as mentioned, check your power supply by loosening the thumb screw and pulling to the left and reseat it.

Ron (r273)
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2012, 03:08:49 PM »

crgadyk  I think in your reply #5 you gave away a problem with this puzzle.   you are not getting the 2 amber lights with the clear chip WHY ???  If your starting out with a BAD clear I don't think your ever going to get the machine to work. I don't know which clear chip your using, I would try a 97 as suggested by Neon. If your using a 97 are you sure it's a good one with no bent legs.

crgadyk
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2012, 03:26:04 PM »

A friend gave me the clear chip and I think its a 97 but the label just said clear chip on it. He said he's used the same chip copy to clear machines but who knows if it actually works or not. I was starting to wonder the same thing about the clear chip. I don't get the 2nd light and then I don't get any errors that the step by step instructions on here say I should get when I put the base chip back in.

I guess I'll add a clear 97 to the shopping list. I was going to buy a known working power supply as well just to be sure I have a good one.

Thanks for the help everyone, its keeps hope alive that these will work  yes
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2012, 03:51:59 PM »

I think the going rate for a Power supply is about 40 dollars. I think I've had one or two bad power supply in like 200 machines. I've never repaired one but here's a link         http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=1988.msg14955#msg14955

cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2012, 03:54:56 PM »

If you're gonna buy one anyway get the newest bestest and get a 224 clear and you might as well get a 45 key chip while you're at it. Try to get origionals or at least get them from a reputable dealer here on the site. There's been quite a few complaints from people who got them on Ebay
Neonkiss

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2012, 03:59:16 PM »

Buzz,
I noticed that my 97 clear chip when used on an enhanced board, I only get one amber light.
The clear works and the machine resets and I'm able to access all the menus.
Has anyone else experienced this with the 97 clear on the enhanced boards?

Also for what's it's worth, I turned on a machine this morning and all I got was the flashing Netplex link down.
All lights were on the MPU and the red led would come on and then off as the machine tried to re-boot.
I pulled the MPU board and reseated it along with the reels and it booted back up as normal.  Scratch Head

crgadyk
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2012, 05:09:44 PM »

I wish mine was that simple lol I've tried reseating the MPU along with every other connection I can find. Sounds very similar though, all lights are on on the MPU and then the red and first two amber lights flash when the power cycles.

I'm picking up a power supply from CV slots. It doesn't hurt to have a known working one as a test. Should I also have her send a clear chip or is mine acting normal? From Neon's post it sounds like mine may be ok but again it wouldn't hurt to have a spare.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.