Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 03:03:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S2000 and Vision Games.
| | |-+  want to back up my vision software
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: want to back up my vision software  (Read 40767 times)
bkoch
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 35

« on: March 28, 2010, 10:00:28 PM »

couple of questions first.

1 The first question I have is can we use Pcmcia adapters to compact flash memory?
2 what size and speed can we use? I was looking at 32 gb 133x kingston. There are faster but I think the vision machines don't need that speed am a wrong?
3 what what files does one need to back up. and in what order?
4 is it posable to store multiple games on one card? what is the biggest flash memory needed to store all games if posable?

I have a lot more questions but I think this will do to get started.

THANKS
Blake 
KirkLasVegas
Retired OLD Buzzard
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 233

Newest addition to the family, RIP Bentley

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 10:09:50 PM »

couple of questions first.

1 The first question I have is can we use Pcmcia adapters to compact flash memory?

YES...I have done this and it works fine for backing up your flashcard (Good idea)

2 what size and speed can we use? I was looking at 32 gb 133x kingston. There are faster but I think the vision machines don't need that speed am a wrong?

Speed is not a big deal as the topbox machine is a 100Mhz DOS machine. Use the SAME SIZE card as it has factory.
3 what what files does one need to back up. and in what order?

ALL of them! Do a "Drag & Drop" to your backup CF or PCMCIA card.

4 is it posable to store multiple games on one card? what is the biggest flash memory needed to store all games if posable?

Yes, but NOT advised! The machine is going to look for particular "File Folders" on that card.

I have a lot more questions but I think this will do to get started.

Question away! Not a problem Smiley

THANKS
Blake 

You are very welcome Blake!!!

Kirk

Definition of "Retirement"= to be able to get back all you contributed into it AND take some of their money too before dropping dead.
brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 440

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 02:34:51 AM »

I use the CF-PCMCIA adapters, they work very well.

As Kirk pointed out, your CF can be the slowest, cheapest cards you can find. The LCD computer is dead slow compared to anything you find nowadays.

I tried putting multiple games on a single card, you can wind up with RSODs (Red Screens of Death) or other strange Winblows dll and vxd errors. Cards and adapters are cheap enough that I don't worry about it any more.

Thanks,
Bill
bkoch
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 01:36:38 AM »

My double diamond mine game has two ATA cards. the first card has the number 1.00.24 the second is blank. I copied the blank card first and tried using the machine all went well. after copying the first card marked ATA 1.00.24 I got that red screen of death. Can some one help me figure out what I did wrong?
 hissy fit hissy fit hissy fit hissy fit hissy fit hissy fit hissy fit
All the files appear to be the same.
thanks
Blake
Bettor Slots
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 751

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 01:46:30 AM »

My double diamond mine game has two ATA cards. the first card has the number 1.00.24 the second is blank. I copied the blank card first and tried using the machine all went well. after copying the first card marked ATA 1.00.24 I got that red screen of death. Can some one help me figure out what I did wrong?

All the files appear to be the same.
thanks
Blake

ALL Vision machines only require 1 top box flash card.  This card should have the ATA, BGM, and DATA file on it.  And as a side note, if it does not have a data file, it will be created for you the first time you turn on the machine.  The second card will sometimes be blank but more often has an RFA program on it for updating top box.  If you have this card in your machine remove it...it's not needed and is only slowing up your boot up process.

For your current problem...tell us what files are on the program flash card....you should only see 3 folders ATA with a number, BGM with a number, and Data folder.

If life is like a box of chocolates....why do I always seem to end up with the butter creme?
bkoch
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 01:57:36 AM »

I have a 1 ata 10024 1bgm 00000 1bgm 00003 also a data file. the only thing I can see different when I stick the cards in the computer is the IGT card reads as a disk drive and the pcmcia card reads a removable disk drive. does this make any difference.

Thanks

Blake
Bettor Slots
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 02:23:48 AM »

Someone will need to chime in and confirm if the BGM 003 file is correct for your SB chip number as I have not had that game through here.  That ATA you have is older than grandpa's underwear.  You should post that SB number as well.  You can delete the BGM0000 although it is really not hurting anything.  You should always use a more current ATA which a 065 would be good.  I have had a lot of success using ATA 065, SG 380 GM1 and GM2, and VS011GX1 version chips.

If life is like a box of chocolates....why do I always seem to end up with the butter creme?
bkoch
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 02:27:34 AM »

My question then is if it works with the original ATA card is there a reason why the copies don't work if the files are the same?

Thanks
Blake
Bettor Slots
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 02:35:37 AM »

If your saying you have a working card in your hand, backed up that information to hard drive, and then copied that info to a blank flash and it is not working, then that would suggest either the information currupted during the transfer or the back up flash that you are using is potentially bad.  For certain your original card in hand can be put in the machine and the top box will boot correctly?

bkoch
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 02:39:54 AM »

If your saying you have a working card in your hand, backed up that information to hard drive, and then copied that info to a blank flash and it is not working, then that would suggest either the information currupted during the transfer or the back up flash that you are using is potentially bad.  For certain your original card in hand can be put in the machine and the top box will boot correctly?

yes, yes, and yes

I will try copying the file again and to a different card.

Thanks
KirkLasVegas
Retired OLD Buzzard

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 02:49:56 AM »

yes, yes, and yes

I will try copying the file again and to a different card.

Thanks

I use a PCMCIA to CF adaptor.
Simply put the good flash in one slot of a laptop...
Insert the Blank in the next slot.
Open Windows Explorer.
Now..DRAG AND DROP the entire device contents from the good card to the blank.
Make SURE you format the blank before you do this and that it is FAT not NTFS!!!
The topbox is a Embedded MS-DOS machine running 100Mhz.
For giggles and grins, jumper the two pins (JU1) next to the RAM slots(next to the edge of the board).
This will allow you to actually SEE it boot up.You will see the POST,Windows 3.1 Startup and the file start.

Kirk

Definition of "Retirement"= to be able to get back all you contributed into it AND take some of their money too before dropping dead.
bkoch
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 04:08:52 AM »

The new card will only format in fat32 its been a long time since I formated a disk in fat16

If a disk was formated in fat 32 can you go back. Also why does the 20mb card allow me to format in fat format and new 40 mb card will not.

has anyone come across this problem?

By the way I copy the files out of the file folder on my desk top back to the blank 20 mb card and and the game works. applause applause applause

So the file format has to be the problem.
Thanks
Blake
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 04:14:43 AM by bkoch » Logged
KirkLasVegas
Retired OLD Buzzard

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 04:43:13 AM »

The new card will only format in fat32 its been a long time since I formated a disk in fat16

If a disk was formated in fat 32 can you go back. Also why does the 20mb card allow me to format in fat format and new 40 mb card will not.

has anyone come across this problem?

By the way I copy the files out of the file folder on my desk top back to the blank 20 mb card and and the game works. applause applause applause

So the file format has to be the problem.
Thanks
Blake

Yes Grasshopper.....you have learned well Smiley

Foster
The S2000 GURU
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 345

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 04:49:57 AM »

FAT16 supports Partitions up to 32MB. The 40MB card is over the 32 MB limit.
FAT32 supports larger partitions.

I am not sure if you can just create a smaller partition and have it function properly.
Remember if you create 2 logical partitions on the CF Card you may change drive letter assignments for another drive in the system.
If you do create a smaller partition to enable FAT16 format on it, leave the extra space unused (do not create a second partition on it) to prevent it adding logical drives.
This may sound like a waste of the card
Partition, format the backup CF then copy the files to the backup card and test it in the machine.

Also create a Zip file backup of the original CF card and restore it from the zip to a blank card formatted in FAT16 and test it as well.
That way you have two ways of doing a backup.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 05:04:41 AM by Foster » Logged

A Slot Machine and Coca-Cola Addict!!
"If it is not broke do not fix it" I keep forgetting that!
bkoch
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 02:49:58 AM »

Just backed up my first complete game kit including my chip set.

Thanks Guys

Any suggestions on how to keep files organized ?
Any way to find If one has the latest version of game ?

Thanks
Blake

Ron (r273)
NLG Welcome Wagon & General Chat
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 401

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2010, 11:41:40 AM »

Just backed up my first complete game kit including my chip set.

Thanks Guys

Any suggestions on how to keep files organized ?
Any way to find If one has the latest version of game ?

Thanks
Blake

I like mine by alphabetical by game theme instead of by SS#. Also you can add the EPROM number or other info. This is mine:

Triple Diamond Deluxe SS6291 3C 1L 92.584%
Triple Diamond SS4784 3C 1L 97.41%
Triple Diamond SS7091 3C 1L 95.    %
Triple Diamond SS6994 5C 5L 90.005%
Triple Diamond SS7102 9C 9L 95.039%

Others like WBA, Version, SG, SB are all alphabetical too. Some use pct. instead of the % sign.

Hope this helps.

Ron (r273)
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2010, 12:38:32 PM »

In addition to Ron's suggestion, I usually add the 16 bit checksum to the file name. For example:

Triple Diamond SS7102 9C 9L 95.039% A700

You can also create and name a series of nested folders:

[Triple Diamond]
        │└[9L]
        │    └  Triple Diamond SS7102 9C 9L 95.039% A700
        │
        └[Deluxe]
               └[3cm]
                      └   Triple Diamond Deluxe SS6291 3C 1L 92.584%

etc.
Of course, if you only have a couple of kits, that would be overkill. However, some of us have several dozen kits or more... Tongue Out
<ADD> Believe me, it's a lot harder figuring out how to store and access your glass than your backups. bust gut laughing frying pan
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 12:49:25 PM by StatFreak » Logged

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
westec1

Total Karma Storms: 36

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2010, 01:08:15 PM »

"ADD> Believe me, it's a lot harder figuring out how to store and access your glass than your backups." 
I don't mean to hijack the thread but
Does any one have any innovative ideas on storing glass? Scratch Head

Wes propeller
bkoch
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2010, 01:12:31 PM »

No problem with the hijack I have a mound of glass that I have acquired too. I was going to ask the same question in another post.

But I would like to bring back the question how do I now if I have the most curant release?

Thanks
bkoch
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2010, 01:36:34 PM »

I have had a lot of success using ATA 065, SG 380 GM1 and GM2, and VS011GX1 version chips.

That ATA you have is older than grandpa's underwear. You should always use a more current ATA which a 065 would be good.  I have had a lot of success using ATA 065, SG 380 GM1 and GM2, and VS011GX1 version chips.

I have ATA 065 file on another game. Is it ok the copy that file from that game and place it on this game?
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2010, 01:04:46 PM »

I have had a lot of success using ATA 065, SG 380 GM1 and GM2, and VS011GX1 version chips.

That ATA you have is older than grandpa's underwear. You should always use a more current ATA which a 065 would be good.  I have had a lot of success using ATA 065, SG 380 GM1 and GM2, and VS011GX1 version chips.

I have ATA 065 file on another game. Is it ok the copy that file from that game and place it on this game?

Bkoch,
Have you had success with placing the ATA00065 file onto your game card?
What was the PCMCIA card size 20Mb or 40Mb?
I'm having trouble with mine because my BGM file is larger than the 20Mb of the card.
It won't accept the BGM file because I get a pop up saying the file is larger than the drive...lol
I will try copying to a CF flash with an PCMCIA adapter later tonight and see if that works.
I guessing it won't work though because the CF flash card is like 4GB...?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 01:31:09 PM by stayouttadabunker » Logged
brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2010, 03:07:50 PM »

Bkoch,
Have you had success with placing the ATA00065 file onto your game card?
What was the PCMCIA card size 20Mb or 40Mb?
I'm having trouble with mine because my BGM file is larger than the 20Mb of the card.
It won't accept the BGM file because I get a pop up saying the file is larger than the drive...lol
I will try copying to a CF flash with an PCMCIA adapter later tonight and see if that works.
I guessing it won't work though because the CF flash card is like 4GB...?

Just buy smaller CF cards.  Crazy

Thanks,
Bill
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2010, 03:43:02 PM »

Just buy smaller CF cards.  Crazy

..."As The Stomach Turns"...
brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2010, 02:42:47 AM »

Seriously.

If you need a source, I can look around out here, we have all kinds of old tech laying around.

Thanks,
Bill
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2010, 03:11:54 AM »

Well,
I can't even get it to work on a 48Mb PCMCIA card I tried tonight.
This is tough.
It's hard enough to get it to work on PCMCIA cards - nevermind CF cards.
I'm so afraid of screwing up my only good card and it's just a 64Mb card.
I'm wondering if it's because of the "format".

How do you find out what "format" the cards are presently in when in a reader slot in a regular desktop with XP?
I have one of those PCMCIA slots on my desktop cabinet home computer.
Just go into the "properties" of the "F" drive it's in?

* properties_of_the_F_drive.png (37 KB, 800x600 - viewed 244 times.)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.