Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 03:36:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Video Slots** Gaming machines
| |-+  **Video Gaming Machines** **General Chat**
| | |-+  Security Chip (Dallas Chip) issues for a Pit Boss superstar 30
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Security Chip (Dallas Chip) issues for a Pit Boss superstar 30  (Read 8440 times)
harleymanb
« on: February 07, 2009, 03:05:49 AM »

Looking for the whole chip or just the battery.

Thanks for the help Stayouttadabunker I'll keep lookin no runnin away

* Pit Boss 005.jpg (92.34 KB, 768x576 - viewed 339 times.)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 03:17:39 AM by harleymanb » Logged
rilaw
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 17

An Addiction:)

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 03:49:52 PM »

Keep an eye out on eBay..  I picked up a new board for my Pit boss for $12
harleymanb
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 01:46:48 PM »

Thanks for the support, I keep looking. I got the old battery out and am looking for something to replace it with. I assume it has to be rechargable of some kind. I'll send out a post WHEN I get it going applause
rilaw
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 05:16:05 PM »

I just looked at the picture again (and activated my brain this time)...That's not a battery (If your talking about the small black thing on the end of that board), that's the Dallas key or "security key".  It is used by the software in the machine (In the Pit Boss the software is on an IC) as a security check, prior to booting the software.  If you decided to upgrade the chipset on your pitboss to a newer version, you would be required to have a corresponding "Security key" in order for the new version of software to operate.  Whats wrong with the machine, if I may ask?

I just looked in my Pitboss, but my Dallas key is huge compared to yours (I must have an older model).  However, I looked at a Megatouch board I have and the Dallas key is the same size as yours (But different software).  Heres an example: http://cgi.ebay.com/Megatouch-XL-Gold-Key-SA3033_W0QQitemZ120321994275QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 05:26:55 PM by rilaw » Logged
harleymanb
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 02:00:24 PM »

When I turn on the machaine it plays the tune then "wait testing" then "error 3" blue screen. Merit Ind said "The battery in the security key had gone dead and thy no longer support this game and have no parts, Good Luck" A  nlg member told me to take the little black box apart and find the voltage on the battery and replace it with one of the same voltage. I couldn't figure out how to get it apart with out distrying it so I gave it to a friend of a friend but haven't heard back anything  loser. Now I'm totaly confused  Scratch Head Did I give up the whole game chip? Would the chip you showed me on ebay work in my machaine or would I have to do something else to make it work? The game was made in 1990 and looks like it was last seviced in 1993 due to date stamps on some of the parts tags. If he takes or has already taken the black chip apart am I all done  hissy fit. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thank You
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 03:37:04 PM »

If your friend has some type of a programmer, he may be able to "read" and "save" the data to a file.
From there he may be able to see what data may be corrupted...it's hard to do without having a valid copy to compare the data to. I wish it were easier such as a dead battery on the main board that would need replacing.
But because Merit told you that the chip has an internal battery, it's your only option to see if you can get inside of it without destroying the chip. I'm leaning more and more that the Merit people really meant to say that the chip really has let's say "charged gates" inside the chip...in other words, the chip is already programmed and was somehow corrupted.
There MAY NOT be any battery inside as Merit stated- only that it's programmed.
The chip holding the code to play the game may be sort of like an eprom...
rilaw
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 04:17:56 PM »

When I turn on the machaine it plays the tune then "wait testing" then "error 3" blue screen. Merit Ind said "The battery in the security key had gone dead and thy no longer support this game and have no parts, Good Luck" A  nlg member told me to take the little black box apart and find the voltage on the battery and replace it with one of the same voltage. I couldn't figure out how to get it apart with out distrying it so I gave it to a friend of a friend but haven't heard back anything  loser. Now I'm totaly confused  Scratch Head Did I give up the whole game chip? Would the chip you showed me on ebay work in my machaine or would I have to do something else to make it work? The game was made in 1990 and looks like it was last seviced in 1993 due to date stamps on some of the parts tags. If he takes or has already taken the black chip apart am I all done  hissy fit. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thank You

They said there is a battery inside it??  I doubt that, otherwise my old Megatouch and Pitboss machines would be toast... Its just a Dallas key (As far as I know).  No, you can't use the one listed in the eBay auction for your machine (It will only work with the software its designed for).  It sounds like you have an issue on the board or the key became corrupted somehow.  I'm looking at a similar key on a spare Megatouch board I have as I type.  That key is not serviceable in any way (Sorry, my spare board is no good, it has major issues but I won't toss it just in case.)  I would keep an eye out for a spare board, and keep asking on here.  Like I mentioned before, I found a great board for a Pitboss I rebuilt on eBay for $12.  I also bought a "Perfect Condition" Pitboss Superstar for $14 (Yes, for the entire machine) on eBay (See Picture)... So I would just play the waiting game for now... If I find one, I will let you know ASAP

* DSC01719.JPG (605.98 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 252 times.)
harleymanb
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 04:58:25 PM »

Thanks for the info. I will keep my eye out. when you say board do you mean the whole big board or just the small one I had pictured with the key attached? Great find for $14.00. I pulled mine out of the trash for free maybe now I know why, but it's in to good of shape to toss.

Thanks again

* Pit Boss 001.jpg (67.78 KB, 576x432 - viewed 285 times.)
rilaw
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 08:50:14 PM »

I was talking about the big board, but I forgot the Pitboss had a separate board for the Dallas key... I included a picture of what my Dallas key looks like (Its huge for some reason).

You may be able to use this board: http://cgi.ebay.com/MERIT-CRT-260-video-game-pcb-board-1D_W0QQitemZ370163904051QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item370163904051&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A4|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Just don't plug in the wiring harness for the separate board on the back door with your Dallas key (The board listed has the Dallas key on it, not on a separate board (Looks like a Megatouch IV board, could work!)

* Pitt2.jpg (90.67 KB, 800x600 - viewed 337 times.)
harleymanb
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 01:32:21 AM »

Mine is a little differant with two stacked boards and the biz card marks where I pulled the small board I thought I was looking for.
My Key was on the big board not the little one.

* Pit Boss 009.jpg (78.88 KB, 768x576 - viewed 326 times.)

* Pit Boss 005.jpg (92.34 KB, 768x576 - viewed 281 times.)
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 02:28:06 PM »

I was talking about the big board, but I forgot the Pitboss had a separate board for the Dallas key... I included a picture of what my Dallas key looks like (Its huge for some reason).

You may be able to use this board: http://cgi.ebay.com/MERIT-CRT-260-video-game-pcb-board-1D_W0QQitemZ370163904051QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item370163904051&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A4|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Just don't plug in the wiring harness for the separate board on the back door with your Dallas key (The board listed has the Dallas key on it, not on a separate board (Looks like a Megatouch IV board, could work!)

MODERATOR NOTE: Here is the data from the eBay auction above:

MERIT CRT 260 video game pcb board 1D
Sold for $14. No description given by the seller.

* 9867_1.JPG (30.04 KB, 400x300 - viewed 326 times.)

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.