Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 12:46:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  WMS Reel Games. (Moderator: knagl)
| | |-+  Mermaids Gold coinj error
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mermaids Gold coinj error  (Read 13232 times)
JT
« on: January 21, 2011, 08:49:55 PM »

I own a Mermaids gold dot slot.  It's giving me a coinj error.  I'm not a slot technician but do handle computer repair and would appreciate some/any direction on how to repair this.  So far I've tried removing the coin reader and removing the bill reader.

I'd be very appreciative to some direction on this repair.

Thanks in advance.

knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 09:40:30 PM »

Welcome to  nlg JT!  You've found a great site with great people and great information about repairing your home slot machines.

NLG Welcome

Check out this thread where someone had a "COINJ" error ("coin jam"), and his resolution.  It might be the same thing for you.

Before you go and replace parts, make sure that your coin optics are in the right place and that the wires that connect to them are firmly and correctly connected.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
JT
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 09:42:50 PM »

Is there any easy way to test this?  In other words, can I simply remove the coin reader and/or the bill reader to see if this is what causing the issue?  I have checked and rechecked the cables (unplugged and replugged).

I found a dime in the quarter reader when this all started, but was able to get that out.  Just can't get the machine to fire back up.

Thanks again for any help
knagl

Kevin

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 09:46:17 PM »

Read all of the posts in that thread that I linked to, JT.  The topic starter there said that he was able to get past the error by disconnecting the optics board and using dollar bills, so I suspect you'd be able to do the same to isolate the issue to the optics board.

That said, since the error is a coin jam, and the optics board is what would send that signal to the machine (if an optic is constantly blocked, or if the machine thinks the optic is blocked due to a bad optic or transistor), I'd strongly suspect the optics to be your issue.  If you're not into board level repairs, I'd just post in the classifieds section that you're looking to buy a set of coin-in optics for your WMS 400 Mermaid's Gold machine, and replace the whole thing and be done with it.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
JT
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 09:52:35 PM »

Posted a request in the classified.  Correct, I can do board level repairs.  So my question is this, if the coin reader is bad and if I simply unplug the coin reader, should that resolve this if the coin reader is in fact the issue?

I have unplugged it but the coinj failure message on the front remains.  Which is what got me to thinking it might be the bill reader.  Would that generate the same error?

I'm hoping it's not one of the mobo's.
JT
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 09:54:13 PM »

I'm now wondering if the dime that made it's way into the reader and jammed may have jacked the optics?
knagl

Kevin

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 09:54:52 PM »

I really don't think that the bill validator would generate a CoinJ error.  Let me look in the manual...

It's strange, though, that the other person who had this issue was able to get past it by disconnecting the coin optics, but you can't.

You are powering the machine off, disconnecting the optics, then powering it on, right (ie. not doing it while the machine is running)?

JT
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 09:56:29 PM »

Correct.  I am powering down the PS internal to the system, unplugging the optics then restarting the PS.  And I agree with you regarding the other post which is what got me thinking about the bill reader and/or some other component.
knagl

Kevin

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 10:02:40 PM »

It looks for sure that CoinJ points to the coin optics -- nothing to do with the bill validator.  Here's some info from the manual, which also lists a test you can try to confirm/deny the problem:

(Click to enlarge the image.)

* coinj.PNG (24.42 KB, 994x217 - viewed 195 times.)

JT
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 10:07:47 PM »

It is an IDX Inc X-10 X-mark Xeptor which I don't "think" was the default reader, but am not sure at all.  I see how the two boards could get moved, and the dime may have done that?  But again, I'm back to the original question of "shouldn't it work without the coin reader"?  BTW thanks so much for your direction.  I'm learning quickly!
knagl

Kevin

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 10:12:26 PM »

Wait a sec -- have you been unhooking the X-mark or the optics that are BELOW the X-mark?

Go look at this post.  The "Coin Comparator" that is in the pictured machine is where the X-mark comparator is in your machine.  You need to unhook the optics (the board the guy has in his hand in that picture) to remove them from the system.

Edited to add: I'm not in front of my machine at the moment and have never worked on the optics, but there may be more than one set of wires leading to them, as it's a two-board part (one side sends a signal, the other side receives).

...and, you're very welcome!  We'll get your machine fixed one way or another.  I'm still pretty convinced that your optics are faulty.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 10:18:39 PM by knagl » Logged

JT
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 10:27:56 PM »

There is a steel unit (has a plastic box with electronics attached to it)that sits in the door.  You can lift it up from the bottom and it comes out and has a 4pin connector attached to some additional small boards in the door.  I'm assuming that this unit is the coin reader (it's the IDX box).  I have been disconnecting it from the boards (similar to the ones in the picture) but leaving the boards plugged in.

Additionally when the coinj error appears, there is also the number 3 that pops up in the Credit and Bet windows.  I just thought those were leftover from the last player but now, after looking at the manual it shows under Tilt Info Meters that this is a Hopper Extra Coin Error?

Next, I just unplugged the boards on the door that connected the coin reader and booted.  The system is coming back with a dot fail when the close door button is manually pushed.

Clear as mud?
JT
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 10:49:19 PM »

OK let's try this again, now that I've read the manual a bit.  On page 3.4 the picture on the right shows Item #1 as the coin comperatar.  This is the IDX box.  It can be lifted up and removed quite easily from the door.  It has a 4 pin switch, which connects to the circuit boards on page 3.5 Item #8 that are listed as the quad opto and hex opto boards.

When I unplug the comperatar from the opto boards, nothing really changes.  System still boots with coinj in the credit window.

When I unplug the opto boards and boot, it runs a ROM test sucessfully, then when you close the door (or in my case just push the door button in) it responds with dot fail.

Hope this info is helpful.
knagl

Kevin

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 10:56:17 PM »

Clear as mud?

Yes.  rotflmao

Perhaps you could post a picture of the coin-in area of your machine so we can help you idenfity the different components?

There is a coin comparator (in your case, the X-mark box) that is simply designed to tell if the coin being inserted in the machine is valid or not.  If it is, it allows the coin to fall down through the optics assembly, which is supposed to tell the machine that a valid coin has been inserted and to give it a credit.  These two pieces of the puzzle work together for coin acceptance, so you may wish to use the terms "comparator" or "optics" to eliminate any confusion instead of the term, "Coin Reader."  yes

It makes very little sense to me that you'd get a Dot Fail message at this point, unless perhaps your power supply is starting to flake out, in which case all sorts of weird stuff could happen.  Additionally, the power supplies on the WMS machines are very prone to failure.

If you put everything back the way it was, does your Dotmation display start working again?  Is it displaying the Williams logo when you power on the machine, at least?

knagl

Kevin

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2011, 11:01:45 PM »

Aah, okay, you replied while I was typing that last one.

It sounds like by correctly disconnecting the optics that you got past that tilt, just as was described in the post that I linked to way back in my first reply.  That's good!   yes  In fact, that almost confirms that your coin-in optics are faulty (and if you're into board level repair, re-visit that topic and see about fixing your optics).

Now you're at a Dot Fail message, which means either that the upper Dotmation power supply has died (more likely than you think, actually), or the machine is unable to communicate with the Dotmation box.

Does anything display on the Dotmation display when you power it on?  (Williams logo, ROM test, etc?)

JT
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 11:10:58 PM »

Yes, the Williams logo and the PROM 1 and Prom2 test.  It stops at the Williams logo.

So are you thinking there may be 2 issues here?  The opto board and the dot power supply?

I've never done board level repair although I'm not afraid to if I can save a buck.  Hey....I took soldering back in high school....lol.
knagl

Kevin

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 11:17:04 PM »

There may be two issues, or there may be one bigger issue that is masking itself as multiple issues.

The fact that you get the PROM tests and the Williams logo is good.  That means your Dotmation power supply is good, as the display wouldn't light up if the power supply was dead.

For kicks, can you check the voltage LEDs on the main board in the machine?  On the main board (under the reel shelf) you should see a number of red LEDs next to each other that should all be lit up.  If you'd like, with the power off remove the board to see the voltage markings on it, then insert the board fully and turn on the power.  All of the various voltage lights should ALL light up.  Are any of them out?

JT
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 11:30:36 PM »

LOL, oh you are going to love this.  I powered the system down and removed the top mobo just to take a look.  Popped it back in and booted the system.  It responded witha PN6 error on the front.  What????

Shut it down again, pushed both mobo's deep into the machine, rebooted and the front now says......are you ready for this.....door ajar.  For the first time in a long while, I got a BONG when it booted.  Pushed the door button in, and the machine is running!!!!

Now obviously I got some issues here.  What's the next step?  Plug the opto boards in and test, then test with the comparatar?
knagl

Kevin

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2011, 11:36:13 PM »

Well, keep your fingers crossed that it keeps working.  Smiley

With the power off, sure, go ahead and connect the optics and the comparator.  The comparator is a pretty dumb device and shouldn't ever be able to generate a CoinJ error, so you the comparator shouldn't affect anything and can safely be plugged in.

If the CoinJ error returns once you've plugged in the optics, you can be sure that your optics are broken in some way.

If other random errors start or keep popping up, I'd start looking at your lower power supply.

JT
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2011, 11:41:32 PM »

Plugged the opto boards back in and it returns coinj, even without the comparatar plugged in.  But it bongs once so I'm thinking I'm good, at least for now.

So my next question is, is there a way to add credits to it, so it can be played while I'm waiting for/or repairing my replacement opto board?  My guess is without a good opto board, that the machine is unplayable, right?

Also can you give me any direction on repairing the opto board?  I'm not sure I have the tools to know what's exactly wrong on it but figured I'd ask.

I've rebooted the machine a couple of times successfully but it has no credits on it.  When it booted the first time, there were 3 credits and it spun up fine, but now they are gone.
knagl

Kevin

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 11:50:52 PM »

If your bill validator is working, you should be able to insert bills to add credits and then play it that way even without the coin optics board.

Worst case, you could set the machine to the demo mode (freeplay, doesn't accumulate credits).

I no zero about repairing the optics board.  There's some decent information in the link I provided in my first reply about repairing it -- that's about the best advice I can offer you.

JT
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2011, 11:54:46 PM »

Never tried the bill validator, guess it's worth giving it a shot.  Is it tough to get the bills out?  Not quite sure how to do that.

And thanks again for your help and direction!
JT
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2011, 11:55:49 PM »

It's a canadian bill validator.....LMAO.
knagl

Kevin

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2011, 11:59:40 PM »

Strike one, strike two!   Tongue Out Tongue Out Tongue Out

For kicks, check the label on the top of the validator with the door open -- if it says DBV then it's for American currency.  If it says CBA (I think), then it is indeed for Canadian money.

To remove money from it, there's a small rectangular door on the right side of the machine (partly behind the pull handle).  There may be a removable bill stacker box in there, and you may or may not be able to remove it by hand.

In the manual it explains how to change the setting to the demo mode, which will let you play the game without coins or bills.

JT
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2011, 12:14:35 AM »

Yep, CBA.  Got it in Demo mode and it's working great!  Having a party soon and this will be fine until then.  So your recommendation is to buy another opto board and install it?  I put a post in the classified area.

Could not have done this without you!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.