Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2024, 07:59:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  WMS Reel Games. (Moderator: knagl)
| | |-+  Dotmation Screen Message
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dotmation Screen Message  (Read 3333 times)
dale
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 60

« on: November 29, 2011, 04:49:13 PM »

I started up my WMS 400 game today and was greeted with a machine that does not work. I am getting a BAD PACKET TYPE message on the Dotmation screen. The game just keeps going from Dot Init , one bong and repeating itself. Any help is appreciated.

The game will occasionally work. Whenever I push the BET ONE button the game tilts again. It will tilt on the MAX BET button but not as often.

I am actually getting 3 bongs between the cycles. Could that be a bad XU31?

Now it will play with the MAX BET button. It will not play and go into its tilt mode when I push the BET ONE button. I changed out the button harness with no difference. I'm thinking chips or CPU board. I haven't tried a clear yet as not sure that will solve this. Help!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 07:04:40 PM by dale » Logged
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 07:29:50 PM »

With the power off, I'd check the communication cables between the Dotmation box and the machine (unplug and re-plug the cables to make sure they're seated nicely and to help wipe off any oxidation that may be starting in the plug/harness).  If that doesn't make a difference, the next thing I'd try (with the power off again) is to pull and re-seat each of the game and Dotmation chips (for the same purpose).

A "Packet" in computer speak is a small blip of communication from one point to another -- that's what makes me think that it's a communication issue between the main boards and the Dotmation box.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
dale
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 09:10:55 PM »

I changed the Serial Port harness from the controller board to the backplane, the cable between the dot box and controller board, the Dot Box itself, reseated all the chips and put a new controller board in. It will initialize then buzz and bong, spin slowly, show credits then display goes blank and it repeats itself again. The Dot box will show half the screen then sits on Williams. Any other part I should look at? Thanks.

I just put a new game in. I changed the controller board with chips and the CPU  board with chips. I left the IO board in because the jurisdiction is the same. The game went right up.

I think we are narrowing it down to CPU board or corrupted chips.

I just switched out CPU boards. Game is working fine right now. I have my fingers crossed. Thanks for helping.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 10:11:29 PM by dale » Logged
knagl

Kevin

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 09:51:57 PM »

You're doing some good troubleshooting.  yes

Chips generally don't tend to go bad, but I suppose anything is possible.

If I'm reading correctly, you have multiple boards, right?  If so, use the known good boards that are in there now and put the chips in question into those boards.  If the game clears and then works properly from there, your chips should be fine.  To further troubleshoot, replace one board at a time with questionable boards until you run into the issue.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
dale
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 10:13:14 PM »

I did as suggested. The game is up and running. The CPU board apparently took a dump. I am hoping it stays working.Thanks for all the help.
knagl

Kevin

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 10:59:57 PM »

You did most of it yourself!  Nice work.

(To save yourself a headache later, you may want to label the suspect board as "Bad?" with a post-it note or something, but if nothing else keep it around for future repair and/or to steal components off of in the future should you need them.)

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.