Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 12:46:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  WMS Reel Games. (Moderator: knagl)
| | |-+  Regular hopper jams on payout
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Regular hopper jams on payout  (Read 7868 times)
Jazman
« on: February 09, 2009, 06:34:46 PM »

I did a search, but wasn't able to find anything similar.  Please feel free just to link if it's out there somewhere.  Also, I'm sure this isn't unique to WMS, but since that is what I have...

I am getting repetitive hopper jams when paying out.  What is happening is that quarters are getting pushed under the knife at the top of the wheel.  I'm guessing that it is happening more regularly since everytime it happens, it's going to tend to put a little more push in the blade.  I've removed and reinstalled the blade, and it appears to be OK.  But, I don't have a good reference to compare it to, so who knows.  Whenever I reinstall it, it looks like it should be OK.  But, then it will payout for a bit (25-50 quarters) and then jam again.

FYI, this is basically only an issue when a high payout is hit thereby forcing the max pay at the slot prior to the attendant hand pay.  But, sometimes cashout gets pushed as well.

Thanks for any direction or pointers you may be able to give me...

Jaz
Bettor Slots
Senior Full time Member.
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 751

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 07:37:33 PM »

My experience with these is that after the coin gets between the knife and the wheel, or even more so between the metal coin deflector and the knife or the hopper itself, is that the metal coin deflector (which I think you are calling the blade), is that the metal coin deflector gets bent out of shape.  As this happens it pushes out on the knife so that it is not pressed up against the wheel tight enough.  It gets worse over time as you say.  You can try to manually bend the deflector back into shape...but again from my experience it is not worth the aggrevation and extra work.  I would suggest just installing a new blade and knife as they cost so little.  You can pick up a set from Jim at Blueridge for sure and maybe some of the other companies listed at the top of the page.

Good luck,

Jim S

If life is like a box of chocolates....why do I always seem to end up with the butter creme?
Jazman
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 08:00:01 PM »

I guess I used 2 different terms to describe the same thing (my bad).  When I said blade and knife, I meant the same thing.  It's the part that the service manual calls the knife meaning the part that sits against and tight to the wheel that scrapes the coin off of the wheel and directs it toward the exit.

Just looked at Jim's site via the link here, and it doesn't look like he has any for WMS at this time... just IGT.
Bettor Slots
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 08:40:01 PM »

Your knife might actully be okay....the metal coin deflector is often the issue because once a few coins get jambed in there it gets bent out of shape and pushes out on the knife.

Just send Jim at Blueride a private message....he has about 500 + parts he does not list on his Ebay web site.

If life is like a box of chocolates....why do I always seem to end up with the butter creme?
blueridgeslots
703 730-0821
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1262

703 730-0821

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 10:07:41 PM »

Look at where the knife meets the coin guide and see if this is where they are jambing, (by the pen in pic) if it is jambing under the knif and the shelf is loose than it may be the roller guide underneath the shelf/pinwheel, i really only have this coin plate in a complete conv kit, but I can pull one out and get another

* WMS Ashi Hopper 001.jpg (276 KB, 640x480 - viewed 235 times.)

* WMS Ashi Hopper 002.jpg (279.62 KB, 640x480 - viewed 205 times.)

Selling Quality Tested and Guaranteed Slot Parts and Machines at Wholesale

http://stores.ebay.com/BLUE-RIDGE-SLOT-SERVICE
Jazman
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 12:10:13 PM »

Thanks very much for the assistance with this one guys.  So, after the comments here, I went home last night and took off the coin deflector/coin plate.  I also removed and adjusted the knife.  It did have some bend in it, but I suspect that was a result of jams and not the original cause.  I straightened it out and re-installed it.  I ran the hopper with the coin deflector off to see what happened.

Here's what I think is happening.  Please chime in and tell me what you think.  The coin deflector is beat up some, but it seems the only purpose is to create a chute to get the coin from the top of the hopper into the coin tray without falling in the mechanism.  So, when I run the hopper, everything ran absolutely fine on the hopper end with no issues for couple hundred coins.  But, there is an issue in that the coin that just exited the hopper doesn't roll out.  It just sits there and is pushed by the next coin.  I'm not sure why this is yet, but it might just be a leveling issue.  So, unless the next coin hits the one sitting there just right, it can wedge it out and cause a jam in the deflector plate area just as archjds was saying.

So, I'll need to figure out why the coin isn't rolling out and possibly need to replace the deflector. 

Jim - my deflector looks different than that.  It may just be a difference between original and aftermarket as it looks similar.  I'll post a pic of mine later.

Thanks guys.
Keith
blueridgeslots
703 730-0821
Senior Full time Member.

703 730-0821

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 12:21:19 PM »

Well, there is no aftermarket on an Ashi Seiko, so that may be where the problem lies, and if the hopper kniife was bent, there is no straightening it and be correct, please post the pics and we will try to help you

Jazman
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 12:39:39 PM »

Well... son-of-a-...

What do you know?  So after Jim's post I pulled out the exploded view from the manual.  It turns out there ISN'T a coin guide (item #12) on my machine at all!  I was talking about the coin cover(#13) and never knew there was supposed to be that part.  Let me look at my hopper in the next couple days and see if what else might supposed to be there that isn't.  I also am going to take a look at my other hopper as well to see what is or isn't there.

Thanks again!
Keith
Bettor Slots
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 12:49:59 PM »

Here's and idea...

Sell that thing as scrap on Ebay...and buy a new used one from Blueridge....you may be surprised at the price versus the aggrevation you are going through....  Duh!  frying pan  Duh!  frying pan

Jazman
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 01:02:27 PM »

Ha!  That's pretty funny... I highly suspect that is not the case...  but hey, I've been surprised  before.
blueridgeslots
703 730-0821
Senior Full time Member.

703 730-0821

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 02:28:37 PM »

I have to ask, is by any chance there a computer power supply laying in the area by where the hopper is?

Jazman
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 02:46:28 PM »

I have to ask, is by any chance there a computer power supply laying in the area by where the hopper is?

No.  It sounds like a very reasonable repair though that I've used myself on my arcade cabinets.  I've seen posts here at NLG that talk about how to use it to replace slot supplies that have gone bad.

Jaz
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 08:13:52 PM »

Geez, Jim, lay off him.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
blueridgeslots
703 730-0821
Senior Full time Member.

703 730-0821

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 10:43:50 PM »

I don't understand ?

knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2009, 01:31:24 AM »

The "him" in question isn't anyone who posted in this thread.  propeller

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.