Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 12:33:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  WMS Reel Games. (Moderator: knagl)
| | |-+  Williams Jackpot Stampede deluxe dot fail
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Williams Jackpot Stampede deluxe dot fail  (Read 20728 times)
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2013, 09:49:12 AM »

Piggy Bankin' was just another Dotmation game -- the particular theme of the machine shouldn't make a difference when it comes to the power supply in it.

Out of curiosity, you said that the Dotmation screen was working for 20 minutes, then the Dot Fail message came back.  Is the screen lighting up any more when you turn on the ATX power supply?  Even with the machine off, if that ATX supply is working, the Dotmation screen should light up and if nothing else show you the Williams logo for a little while.

...and yes, the wires you circled in yellow are the ones I was referring to.  If you look at CFH's picture in my earlier reply, it sure looks to me like those are the same wires as were originally in the factory harnesses based on their color codes and grouping.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
eubie01
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 0

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2013, 01:45:54 PM »

Hi, Yes the screen did light up but the dot fail message came up. I am going to remove the  wires today and give an update later.
Thanks again.
eubie01

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2013, 11:53:37 PM »

Hmmm my ATX has no power?
Theboundbook

Total Karma Storms: -7

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2014, 03:02:10 AM »

Piggy Bankin' was just another Dotmation game -- the particular theme of the machine shouldn't make a difference when it comes to the power supply in it.

Out of curiosity, you said that the Dotmation screen was working for 20 minutes, then the Dot Fail message came back.  Is the screen lighting up any more when you turn on the ATX power supply?  Even with the machine off, if that ATX supply is working, the Dotmation screen should light up and if nothing else show you the Williams logo for a little while.

...and yes, the wires you circled in yellow are the ones I was referring to.  If you look at CFH's picture in my earlier reply, it sure looks to me like those are the same wires as were originally in the factory harnesses based on their color codes and grouping.

I HAVE THIS PROBLEM ON ONE OF MY MACHINES (WINNING STREAK)... THE GAME WORKS PERFECTLY.... EXCEPT FOR ONE THING... IT BOOTS UP ONE BONG, GOES THROUGH SHOWS WILLIAMS VERSION 5.13, (AND NEVER MOVES ON FROM THAT WITH THE DOT MATRIX AT THIS POINT, BUT ALL ELSE CONTINUES TO WORK AND BOOT PERFECTLY), and then bill validator makes correct noise and then coin insert is ready.... I can add money or coins and credits work... I can pull handle or hit button and play... BUT IT (THE DOT MATRIX BOARD NEVER GETS OFF OF WILLIAMS 5.1)... I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING.... CHANGING XU3, I/O BOARDS.... (THE LOWER I/O BOARD IS THE PROBLEM SOMEHOW, I KNOW THIS FROM JUST SWITCHING THINGS AROUND ONE AT A TIME WITH A WORKING VERSION OF WINNING STREAK....  I PULLED XU3 AND DID RAM CLEAR, NOTHING CHANGES...)  WHEN I HIT THE BONUS, IT WORKS, BUT STILL STUCK ON WILLIAMS AT THE BEGINNING OF THE BOOT.... WHAT IS THE PROBLEM... (i don't believe its power like everyone seems to be having, but an I/O problem or the lower board is forgetting to tell the DOT MATRIX SCREEN TO "BE COOL AND GO WITH THE PROGRAM DAMMIT"...  IT JUST STOPS AT THE WILLIAMS SCREEN....  But what baffles me, (and has taken 12+ hours last 2-3 days I CAN NEVER GET BACK, {but I have learned so much from here about Williams' 40x machines}, is I CANNOT SOLVE THIS PROBLEM....  A couple threads stated they had this SAME PROBLEM, but I think they were mis diagnosed as a POWER PROBLEM... I THINK ITS SOMETHING ELSE.... BECAUSE POWER IS GOING WHERE ITS SUPPOSED TO... THE INFO OF THE GAME TO DOT MATRIX STARTS AND STOPS AT THE WILLIAMS BOOT UP)....  Thats what baffles me.... I cannot figure this out...  I love a challange, but I am throwing in the towel and ASKING FOR HELP ON THIS....
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 03:37:59 AM by Theboundbook » Logged
Playklax01

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2014, 03:18:27 PM »

Comm cable from CPU board to Dotmation board tight?  Have you tried the second port for the cable on the Dotmation board?  Usually you'd get a 'dot comm' failure if the cable was not connected, so it's odd that the game continues without the screen being reset.  The CPU board is what tells the board which tells the screen what to display, so it may be a bad communication between them, enough to allow a boot but not enough to drive the game.
Theboundbook

« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2014, 04:11:12 PM »

Comm cable from CPU board to Dotmation board tight?  Have you tried the second port for the cable on the Dotmation board?  Usually you'd get a 'dot comm' failure if the cable was not connected, so it's odd that the game continues without the screen being reset.  The CPU board is what tells the board which tells the screen what to display, so it may be a bad communication between them, enough to allow a boot but not enough to drive the game.

I thought the same thing... Cuz Williams comes up and stays there and the rest of the game boots and I can play EVERYTHING like its working normally... Except the screen never changes or moves off that....  And before the Williams part it does boot with the bars moving horizontally showing its booting up or whatever, but once that WILLAIMS V 5.13 comes up, DOT MATRIX BOX thinks it is done doing its job... I will try those two "simple" things, that I didnt think of... I have changed the board with a good board from another machine and the dot matrix box worked fine... So THE PROBLEM FOR SURE IS ON THAT MAIN CPU BOARD... But it IS NOT XU3....  Could it possibly be XU2?  Should I pull XU2 out and try putting in XU2 chip from a good board?  Its drriving me nuts i CANT LOCATE THE PROBLEM YET....  and I have spent hours combing this board and I did every "power problem check" thinking it might be that and then finally realizing it cant be a power problem, everything is running fine!!!!  Its communication problem... I did read in two other threads of 2 people HAVING THE EXACT PROBLEM I AM HAVING but they were given answers to it being a power problem and never found out disposition or an answer for them...  I appreciate the help and will let you know what happens on MY MYSTERY OF MYSTERIES last 48 hours....  (Never had a problem take this long....  Most frustrating part is I CANT FIGURE OUT WHAT THE PROBLEM IS....  Be much easier to fix it or get an answer if I JUST KNEW what the problem is....  AHHHHHHHHHH.... 

Again, thank you for the help....  And if ANYONE HAS HAD THIS SAME PROBLEM ON ANY 40x machine and has any more ideas or anything PLEASE POST HERE.... I check this site many times a day....

thank you!!!
Theboundbook

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2014, 01:15:19 AM »

Comm cable from CPU board to Dotmation board tight?  Have you tried the second port for the cable on the Dotmation board?  Usually you'd get a 'dot comm' failure if the cable was not connected, so it's odd that the game continues without the screen being reset.  The CPU board is what tells the board which tells the screen what to display, so it may be a bad communication between them, enough to allow a boot but not enough to drive the game.

I HAVE THIS PROBLEM ON ONE OF MY MACHINES (WINNING STREAK)... THE GAME WORKS PERFECTLY.... EXCEPT FOR ONE THING... IT BOOTS UP ONE BONG, GOES THROUGH SHOWS WILLIAMS VERSION 5.13, (AND NEVER MOVES ON FROM THAT WITH THE DOT MATRIX AT THIS POINT, BUT ALL ELSE CONTINUES TO WORK AND BOOT PERFECTLY), and then bill validator makes correct noise and then coin insert is ready.... I can add money or coins and credits work... I can pull handle or hit button and play... BUT IT (THE DOT MATRIX BOARD NEVER GETS OFF OF WILLIAMS 5.1)... I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING.... CHANGING XU3, I/O BOARDS.... (THE LOWER I/O BOARD IS THE PROBLEM SOMEHOW, I KNOW THIS FROM JUST SWITCHING THINGS AROUND ONE AT A TIME WITH A WORKING VERSION OF WINNING STREAK....  I PULLED XU3 AND DID RAM CLEAR, NOTHING CHANGES...)  WHEN I HIT THE BONUS, IT WORKS, BUT STILL STUCK ON WILLIAMS AT THE BEGINNING OF THE BOOT.... WHAT IS THE PROBLEM... (i don't believe its power like everyone seems to be having, but an I/O problem or the lower board is forgetting to tell the DOT MATRIX SCREEN TO "BE COOL AND GO WITH THE PROGRAM DAMMIT"...  IT JUST STOPS AT THE WILLIAMS SCREEN....  But what baffles me, (and has taken 12+ hours last 2-3 days I CAN NEVER GET BACK, {but I have learned so much from here about Williams' 40x machines}, is I CANNOT SOLVE THIS PROBLEM....  A couple threads stated they had this SAME PROBLEM, but I think they were mis diagnosed as a POWER PROBLEM... I THINK ITS SOMETHING ELSE.... BECAUSE POWER IS GOING WHERE ITS SUPPOSED TO... THE INFO OF THE GAME TO DOT MATRIX STARTS AND STOPS AT THE WILLIAMS BOOT UP)....

My brother and I have troubleshot everything possible EXCEPT ONE THING... WE KNOW FOR A FACT THAT THE LOWER CPU BOARD IS THE PROBLEM... BEcAUSE WHEN WE REMOVE THE BOARD AND PUT IT INTO A WORKING WINNING STREAK, IT DOESNT WORK...  We pulled XU3  from the "broken board" and put it into the working machine.... And did the 25 cent williams reset chip thingy (only chip I have, and I am hearing there may or is another RESET cHIP for the upper board(s) for the Dot Matrix)... THE ONE THING WE HAVENT DONE IS CHANGE THE XU 2 MAIN cHIP.... We are afraid it will fook things up....  If I pull the XU 2 Chip from the "broken board" and put it into the working machine, and it works, I think that would be everything except testing CAPACITORS (usually in TV REPAIR you look for a capacitor that is "bubbled up" and know its bad immediately....)  These, I am unsure how to check em... But I am thinking XU 2 may be the problem... And if so, will I have to reset with some DIFFERENT WILLIAMS RESET CHIP I DONT OWN (YET).....????  

How do I check to see if capacitors are working or not???? (I know WAY ROOKIE QUESTION)... THey are the big green ones.... It does make sense that if one of the many big green ones are blown that IT WOULD BE POSSIBLE, that the machine worked 100% EXCEPT FOR THE DOT MATRIX DISPLAY... AND JUST SAT WAITING FOR INFO IT NEVER RECEIVES PAST THE BOOT UP AND THE "WILLIAMS V 5.13" PART THAT STAYS UP...

ANY IDEAS???? HELP????
tollguy316
Contributing Gold NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 226

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2014, 04:07:50 AM »

What happened to your raves about how all of your machines work perfectly  ?????   Scratch Head Scratch Head      While I am hesitant to assist you in any capacity;  I'll chime in on your post .     In regards to your expert opinion  that you "know for a fact that the CPU board is the problem".....  I'm assuming you verified that the jurisdiction jumpers are the same on both machines.   And  your comment about "I am hearing there may or is another RESET cHIP for the upper board(s) for the Dot Matrix"   ... is also incorrect.   I would replace the XU3 and XU4 on the board in the dot box  ( possibly the XU10 ; but less likely)........ but what do I know....
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2014, 04:34:47 AM »

Theboundbook Just a little friendly advice, if I were you I would not get into a pissing match with Tollguy about what's wrong with your machine, and how to fix it. The simple truth is, he knows what he's talking about. If Bill were to tell me my Dotmations would work better with the machine upside down I would start removing the candles.

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
Theboundbook

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2014, 09:56:28 AM »

Why would I get into a pissing match with anyone?  I definitely have no reason to..... not sure when I became someone who is acting better than anyone else here... ITS MY 1st YEAR DOING THIS... I HAVE STATED THIS AGAIN AND AGAIN... I NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT MY MACHINE IS BETTER THAN SOMEONE ELSES... XU3 is the only chip I havent pulled and changed... I KNOW ITS THE CPU BOARD BECAUSE I TOOK THE BOARD OUT AFTER TRYING ALL THE POWER SUPPLY THINGS IN THE THREADS I READ THROUGH HERE, AND ONE BY ONE CHECKED OFF EACH POSSIBILITY.. THEN I GOT TO THE CPU BOARD.. THEY ARE BOTH IDENTICAL WINNING STREAKS (I HAVE 4, 2 RUNNING, 1 I HAVENT STARTED TO MESS WITH AND THEN THIS ONE....  THE REASON I ASKED ABOUT ANOTHER TYPE OF RESET CHIP WAS I READ IT (Or thought I did) in a thread on the site here...  When I took out the dot box and plugged it in to another machine it WORKED PERFECTLY, so I thought, ok, cant be that... Then I took out each ribbon and tried them in a working machine from the screwy one, again, no problems... The only thing that didnt work was the CPU BOARD... It actually just made the working machine (including the dot matrix) turn into a working machine that stopped communicating after it booted up, bonged once, bvd 200 sounds sounded correct, and then it got to the WILLIAMS Version 5.13 and then it stopped communicating....  but I could put money in, quarters in, and the credits worked, and it played correctly.. Just no change on the dot matrix board... even when i hit the bonus...  So, I have to figure its somewhere on that board n had to do with I/O COmmunications... I again, am guessing... Thats why I asked......  I can pull XU2 and no chance of screwing up the working one???? (My brother had the idea it would screw up the working one so we havent checked and pulled that chip (which is one of the last things it could be besides maybe a capacitor we thought)...  I have read through the 40x manual and cant find anything like this WITHOUT THE MACHINE GIVING A ERROR CODE, but, There are no ERROR CODES being shown by the machine... The machine believes it is working just fine... But the dot matrix gets stuck without fail on any machine i temporarily hook that cpu board to another Winning Streak Machine that I have working 100% already...  (I have 2 I can troubleshoot with by doing this process of elimination....  I spent alot of time thinking it was a power supply problem since that is the common problem with the 40x machines it seemed; but then I realized all the power stuff was working... It was a communication error...  I will try again what you have suggested, and like I stated, I AM NOVICE AS HELL.. I just learned what takes me 4-8 hours to do on a machine most pros take 90 min to 3 hours to clean and fix an IGT Machine... I definitely seem to be coming off in a completely different way then I EVER INTENDED TO.....

I will try everything you have recommended, and THANK YOU FOR CHIMING IN....

Brad

Id love to know as much as you all; but I am here to learn, and INTENDED to get along with everyone.... Again, I am sorry I offended whomever or came off like I was an expert after just starting this "hobby" in March of 2013.... 
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.