Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 04:44:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  WMS Reel Games. (Moderator: knagl)
| | |-+  Canadian money instead of replacing BV?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Canadian money instead of replacing BV?  (Read 4446 times)
rokgpsman
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 6

Just a curious observer...

« on: September 30, 2013, 07:32:13 PM »

I recently picked up a WMS 40S Dotmation machine, has a few issues I've been working thru on it. It has a Canadian bill validator, was wondering if instead of replacing it with one that accepts US currency could I simply obtain and use a Canadian bill or two to load credits into the machine? It is for home use, wife doesn't care how the credits get on there, just gets tired of loading the coins/tokens in one at a time. 

Does anyone do this to avoid the cost and hassle of changing out the BV? To me it would essentially like putting a slot ticket back into the machine, don't care what form it is in. If I do this what's the easy way to obtain some Canadian paper bill money, like a $10 or $20? I'm a little too far away to drive to the border.

Thanks!

« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 10:10:06 PM by rokgpsman » Logged
rickhunter
SMAA Founder and Chairman
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 226

I Void Warranties

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 08:20:51 PM »

Several members here live in Canada eh!  You could post a WTB Canadian currency, you could also go to your local bank and buy some.

A slot collector is like a coin hopper in a machine that never pays out.  they just keep on accumulating assets.
rokgpsman

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 10:09:18 PM »

Good idea!   Not familiar with Canadian money or what this bill validator recognizes,  do I need to be careful to get older style bills to better increase my chances of it working? I'd bet they've updated their currency like the US has. Or is there a way of knowing what bills it accepts by using the software version of the BV rom? I was thinking it might be similar to a US BV that doesn't work with newer US bills. The front of this BV has a sticker with picture of the Queen, but some Canadian bills I've seen don't have her picture on them.

cowboygames
Abbys Dad

Total Karma Storms: 680

Happiness in life is a great dog

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 10:22:09 PM »

Depending on which BV you have it might be a simple and inexpensive deal to have it flashed or change a chip to use American currency
rokgpsman

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 10:58:08 PM »

How could I find out more about this? The tag on top says it is a JCM model CBA-135SH,  v 2.21 7E8B which I take to be the software version and checksum.  I think I read somewhere that the Canadian bill is slightly more narrow than a US bill, so it would seem that it would pass thru the Canadian BV ok.

correction- meant to say that the Canadian bill is slightly wider than a US bill, so a US bill would pass thru the Canadian BV if it could read it correctly after a software update.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 01:07:09 AM by rokgpsman » Logged
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

Total Karma Storms: 680

Happiness in life is a great dog

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 12:08:12 AM »

I'm personally not familiar with that model but if you contact one of the dealers from the home page they can probably provide the info you need or wait and see if one of them responds to this topic post
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 12:44:42 AM »

I'm going way back but I think a 135 was a model just like a 145 ( a piece of junk) even looked like a 145.  You can use a DBV 200 and a transport from a Bally 550. As I recall the wiring is the same as a Bally and so is the protocol ID03.  Bare in mind I can't remember what I ate yesterday.

Pretty sure the Canadian bill is wider than a dollar bill.

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
rokgpsman

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 01:05:06 AM »

Thanks for that info Buzz, and you're right about the width of the bills, I got them reversed in my earlier post, will get it edited.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 01:13:06 AM by rokgpsman » Logged
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 02:27:40 AM »

Food for thought, too, is you might want to consider putting your machine into demo mode.  Then you can spin to your heart's content without ever having to put coins or bills in it.  There are instructions for how to do that in the service manual.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
rokgpsman

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 02:58:53 AM »

I'll give that a try, thanks for the idea.
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 03:16:40 AM »

No problem.  I leave my Dotmation machine in the demo mode so it's essentially on "freeplay" for anyone who comes to the house.  I wish my other slots had that option.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.