Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 04:43:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  General NLG Chat
| |-+  Rants and Raves (SEE DESCRIPTION BEFORE ENTERING!) (Moderator: a69mopar)
| | |-+  Direct TV Equip "Lease"
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Direct TV Equip "Lease"  (Read 4661 times)
Bobodude
« on: April 27, 2010, 03:35:51 PM »

Ok I am in the caveman era due to the fact I do not have a DVR. These days with 25 min of commercials every hour, you need a DVR to skip thru the crap. I checked it out and Direct Tv wants $199 for the cheapie DVR. The also want 4.99 fee every month. The clincher is "Direct Tv owns the box" even though I paid them $199.  What kind of deal is this?  I can buy a box on the net and "try" and get DTV to classify it as "owned" not leased but that doesn't always work. The last insult is that the warranty is only 90 days and after that I have to pay for repairs or replacement even though I paid $199 for the thing. Oh I can give DTV more money for a protection plan. Where is our government protecting me from this kind of skulduggery?
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 06:11:50 PM »

That's called "Capitalism"...a very popular concept in United States... rotflmao
stormrider
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 131

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 06:38:37 PM »

Ok I am in the caveman era due to the fact I do not have a DVR. These days with 25 min of commercials every hour, you need a DVR to skip thru the crap. I checked it out and Direct Tv wants $199 for the cheapie DVR. The also want 4.99 fee every month. The clincher is "Direct Tv owns the box" even though I paid them $199.  What kind of deal is this?  I can buy a box on the net and "try" and get DTV to classify it as "owned" not leased but that doesn't always work. The last insult is that the warranty is only 90 days and after that I have to pay for repairs or replacement even though I paid $199 for the thing. Oh I can give DTV more money for a protection plan. Where is our government protecting me from this kind of skulduggery?

In no way am I defending Direct but if you are a new customer they do have a offer
a free HD DVR or HD box without DVR the first box the $4.99 fee is waived but if you have a 2nd
box then they charge you for everyone after that.Oh but you do get free installation where you get to
wait all day for the installer to show up and drill holes into your house.

I think they also give you free movie channels for 3 months in HD for being a new customer
but after all that a basic HD package will run from 65-85 a month
being a owner of Plasma and Lcd tv I can not live without sports being in HD
and I do have Direct now, way over priced yes but NO WAY will I watch a crappy cable picture.
sometimes you have to bite the bullet.

Most of the channels now are all HD and it's a world of difference
from watching cable just my opinion.

Stay away from buying used Boxes if there is a balance owed from ppv orders or anything else you pay
they also make you buy a new card for it another $20 that's if they even activate the box
some of the older boxes won't work with the new satellite's they just launched for HD programming

Tim
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 06:44:31 PM by stormrider » Logged
reho33
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 146

Slot Losers of America / Tokie Owens

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 09:20:14 PM »

Or you could just get a free to air receiver. Kirk Las Vegas is into this. There is an organization called freedbs.org that is trying to have truly free TV available to owners of FTA receivers. It is totally legal too as advertising would pay for the uplink. They already have the major networks on board and have cooking, travel, sports, etc. No, you can't get HBO or any premium stations but it's free, what the heck.

** NOTE: The information contained in any of my posts relating to slot machine ownership and use is information that I have gathered from publicly known sources correspondingly under the same protections of Free Speech governed under the Laws of the United States and Canada and is for informational use only. As is my Constitutional Right under United States and Canadian Laws the redistribution of said information is considered a form of free speech. Using this information in the United States or Canada to conduct illegal gambling in states/provinces where it is unlawful has been declared against the law in those states/jurisdictions and as such I do not advocate the illegal use of such information under both the United States and Canadian Laws. All references and examples of personal experiences are hypothetical in nature, and it is up to you to determine if the information presented is applicable to your situation or not**
Super Joker
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 37

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 10:21:39 PM »

Or you could just get a free to air receiver. Kirk Las Vegas is into this. There is an organization called freedbs.org that is trying to have truly free TV available to owners of FTA receivers. It is totally legal too as advertising would pay for the uplink. They already have the major networks on board and have cooking, travel, sports, etc. No, you can't get HBO or any premium stations but it's free, what the heck.

LOL, there's probably a few of us here that have been playing with "free to air" stuff since Big Ugly Dish days.  yes

I've got a stack of various "free to air" receivers lying around, lots of 18"-36" dishes, and more.

Truth be told, the demise of a lot of "free to air" is what got me back into slots and stuff.

But, back on topic - yeah, you've got two major providers, and T.V. ain't a necessity, so you're stuck with whatever they want to give you. I'm also waiting to see if the freedbs gets off the ground, and how it is received by the general public, and if it makes Charlie and Dave nervous.

Super Joker is Wild! Anywhere!
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 05:48:58 AM »

I hate to say this, but we got what we deserve. TV used to be free for everyone all the time. I remember when the only people who had cable were those who couldn't get air reception because of their location: it was a luxury that they paid for.

Cable flourished because they offered us more of the addiction that we craved and we bought into it hook, line, and sinker. Why get 10 channels free when you can get 100 channels and pay for it? So now, 25 years later, broadcast television is all but dead and television has become privatized and essentially monopolized. Whose fault it that?

The internet used to have hundreds of small ISP companies that one could turn to instead of the majors. The first ones that I subscribed to had absolutely no restrictions on content or email attachment size or anything else. Now we're getting down to a few giant companies who are restricting access (think bit torrent throttling, AOL blocking email traffic and web content and citing BS reasons, etc.)... ... ...  I give the net 10 years before the government locks it down tight by controlling access through two or three companies that lobby to keep control and play ball with the regulators to keep their positions secure. Then your bandwidth and uptime will deteriorate, while prices soar.

The other side of the coin is advertising. Since we repeatedly demonstrate an unwillingness to pay for content and information, sites must use advertising to make money. Anyone notice that most Youtube videos now have popup ads directly inside the video that weren't there a couple of years ago? How long will it be before you can't hide them anymore? They are also putting ads to the right of the video where useful information used to be located. The useful information is now compacted (hidden) and you have to click on an arrow to read it.  Sites are going to pander to those that pay their way. So advertisers will eventually start censoring content, just as is done on commercial television, and websites will eventually comply to keep the dollars flowing in. That's the way our system works.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 06:03:30 AM by StatFreak » Logged

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
stormrider
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 131

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 07:56:46 AM »

LOL, there's probably a few of us here that have been playing with "free to air" stuff since Big Ugly Dish days.  yes

I've got a stack of various "free to air" receivers lying around, lots of 18"-36" dishes, and more.

Truth be told, the demise of a lot of "free to air" is what got me back into slots and stuff.

But, back on topic - yeah, you've got two major providers, and T.V. ain't a necessity, so you're stuck with whatever they want to give you. I'm also waiting to see if the freedbs gets off the ground, and how it is received by the general public, and if it makes Charlie and Dave nervous.

Yeah I didn't want to get into the Free to Air stuff been in that game since they
first hit the market, some things better left unsaid with that.

Tim
Bobodude
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 12:54:00 PM »

That's called "Capitalism"...a very popular concept in United States... rotflmao
Uh yeah, I call it near monopoly only because we have the other alternative "Dish TV, which isn't much better. I can't get cable out here so I have no recoarse. Even a cheap TIVO will be considered "leased" unless it is one of the higher priced units. I feel very "captured" and there is nothing I can do except hit the mute button on the commercials. So be it.
brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 440

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 02:16:36 PM »

IMHO, the demise of broadcast tv was not brought on by cable or satellite, it was brought on by the Internet. Cable has been around since the 70s, satellite since the 80s. You can watch the current tv shows on the internet the day after they first air on the network, without commercials. And, you're not tied to the computer, these shows will play on personal media devices any time, anywhere. Tivo and other DVRs are able to somewhat offset this advantage...

Thanks,
Bill
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 03:52:47 AM »

IMHO, the demise of broadcast tv was not brought on by cable or satellite, it was brought on by the Internet. Cable has been around since the 70s, satellite since the 80s. You can watch the current tv shows on the internet the day after they first air on the network, without commercials. And, you're not tied to the computer, these shows will play on personal media devices any time, anywhere. Tivo and other DVRs are able to somewhat offset this advantage...

I'm not sure that I agree. It certainly was a final nail in the coffin, so to speak, but watching new shows online has only become popular within the last four or five years. Broadcast television has been losing steadily to cable television for about twenty years. As I had noted, cable may have been around in the '70's, but it was considered a luxury item or a last resort for people who could not get reception. It didn't start to become popular until our generation (actually, those a bit younger that I am) grew up in the late '80s.

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.