Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 07:37:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Arcade Games, Pinball, Crane Games, Redemption Games and Other Stuff
| |-+  Arcade Games **Video**
| | |-+  Hyper Olympic bootleg #2 repair log
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hyper Olympic bootleg #2 repair log  (Read 2290 times)
Zabanitu
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 1

« on: January 14, 2012, 11:04:43 AM »

board displayed garbage on screen.
replaced LS244 @7D then i had all OOOO on screen.
replaced LS138 @3E board now runs fine.
sound is dead though..... anyone has ideas?
the sound Z80, 6802, and 6821 PIA are working fine (by substitution).
i just ahve the SOUND_ON signal wich triggers the /INT pin of the Z80, then the /IOREQ pin goes low but never recovers from that. in a good board the /IOREQ pin would go low after SOUND_ON and then hi again after the sound has been played this resets the /INT generating flipflop.

help would be welcome
channelmaniac
Surface mount soldering geek
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 568

Few things are better than fixing an old game...

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 02:27:52 PM »

Since this is still a work in progress it has been moved from the repair logs section.

Working on a bootleg can be tough because there are very few schematics available for them. I'd start troubleshooting this one like any other board:

Check the ROMs for the proper checksums. Verify the RAMs are good. Are the ROMs and RAMs being selected properly (/CE and /OE signals) is the R/W signal to the RAM working? Are the sockets/pins on the chips OK or are the corroded?

Next check the output of /IOREQ and /M1 as on the original Hyper Sports/Hyper Olympics those feed into a 74LS02 then into another one along with the reset signal, and then through a 74LS74 back to the /IRQ pin.

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/ARCADE/A-J/Hyper%20Sports%20[Schematics]%20[English].pdf

RJ

I have too many hobbies! Electronics, gunsmithing, Miatas, arcade games, metal detecting, etc...

http://www.arcadecomponents.com
Zabanitu
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 1

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 07:07:35 PM »

Hi,
finally i fixed the board    rotflmao

some weeks ago i've started shotgunning all the TTL ICs on the sound board but soon got frustrated.
this night i just continued replacing the LS367 @ 5B and hey presto the sound came back.
The CPU was probalby stuck waiting for something on the data bus (maybe counter data on D0..D3 coming from LS393 @ 6B) and it nevere reasserted the /IOREQ line wich resets the /INT flip flop @ 2A)

i knew the DA converter 76489AN worked because i tested it into another board; the rest of the system (EPROM, RAM, address decoding) worked fine because the Fluke 9010A told so!

patience is never enough when fixing this old pcbs !!!!

@Channelmaniac:
now i think you can move this thread to the repair logs.... Thanks
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.