Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 10:43:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Arcade Games, Pinball, Crane Games, Redemption Games and Other Stuff
| |-+  Pinball Games
| | |-+  pin board repair
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: pin board repair  (Read 36386 times)
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #75 on: October 07, 2009, 11:50:59 PM »

So, while playing it, you get goosebumps knowing what's going to happen if
you keep the ball on the table long enough and keep striking certain targets to get your reward. yummy
I actually got excited when I was close to setting off the ambulance light! Weird Eyes
When I finally got a "free ball" and the ambulance light went on, I was jumping around and
then proceeded to lose the ball in the gutter! bust gut laughing
Oh well, I least I had a "Free Ball" !... Tongue Out

That's what makes pinball fun to play, and what designers try to achieve when they create a game. The good pins have enough challenges and rewards to keep a player interested for a long time.

Thanks for keeping us up to speed on all of your experiments. It has helped many of us learn more about basic electronics. K+

Now, with regard to the loss of your ball, you've got to learn to control your outbursts!  Tongue Out 

"Control, control. You MUST learn control... A Jedi can FEEL the force flowing through him...
"You must SEE the force between you and the pinball...
"And you must HEAR the force when the ball bounces off of a bumper...
"And you must SMELL the force when you screw up and fry something that you shouldn't have...  Burning Resistor 
"And you must TASTE the force when you taste the agony of defeat... 

USE THE FORCE, STOUT"  lightning bolt lightning bolt

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #76 on: October 08, 2009, 12:02:55 PM »

Last night I must of played about 40 games or so and
finally got the ambulance to light up! ("Mark jumping around...")
It was such a blast!...I was nervous as heck when I had one last target to knock down...
I missed it like 3 times before I finally smacked it at full speed right in the middle!
 Dancing Party
Beforehand, I made this short clip to try and show you guys how to get the ambulance light to go off.
You have to knock down the targets 3 times to get a "free ball" and light up the "Shoot Again" playfield light.
When you do that- the ambulance light comes on...
it feels great when you get something to work the way you want it to!
I let go of the record button on my camera. So, it's in 2 video parts...
I don't really know how to edit video clips yet...LOL
I'll try to make a better one tonight...>>>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/dvLBoez24Fs&rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/dvLBoez24Fs&rel=0</a>&
galahad
Contributing NLG Member
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 23

« Reply #77 on: October 08, 2009, 01:56:24 PM »

Stayouttabunker! Good Job!! Very interesting thread. I think it's great when somebody adds their own personal touch to a machine. Looks and works good! Thats the fun of tiinkering!!!
Am presently working on an old egg dispencing arcade machine which has a moveable chicken when you turn the coin mech and produces a clucking sound. The old sound box was bad so now am trying a limit sw activated when you turn the coin mech and then setting off a recording I make on an old telepnone answering machine.
Keep Tinkering!

The second smartest man say's, "I don't know'. The first smartest man say's,"I don't know, but I know who to ask"!
CaptainHappy
NLG Site Administrator
NLG Site Administrator

Total Karma Storms: 622

I haven't met a Jackpot that I didn't like!!!

« Reply #78 on: October 08, 2009, 06:15:49 PM »

Bunker,

COOL, and thanks for sharing the video!!!  applause applause applause

It was worth the wait!  wave

CH CaptainHappy

Come sail away, Come sail away Come sail away with me..
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #79 on: October 08, 2009, 11:29:10 PM »

I want to make another video,
but this one, I hope, showed the point of what I was trying to accomplish....
I want to repaint the old , blue paint around the back-glass to make it look better...
It's going to take a while to get the exact match...
I'd also like to retouch up the playfield where it looks a little worn before it goes entirely and
wax the heck out of it to protect it.
even the front coin door door looks like a barn dog was pawing it.... Tongue Out
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #80 on: October 09, 2009, 05:14:38 AM »

Stout, again, thanks for posting your electronic restoration efforts. applause applause
It's been great to follow all of your work on the machine.  stir the pot / get cooking

Sooo, now we know the secret of all of those high scores that you're going be posting in the coming months. It's EASY to get 26 credits and a score of 237,780 when you have no glass in place. Tongue Out Crazy frying pan (sorry, couldn't resist)

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
Ron (r273)
NLG Welcome Wagon & General Chat
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 401

« Reply #81 on: October 09, 2009, 10:59:49 AM »

Stout, again, thanks for posting your electronic restoration efforts. applause applause
It's been great to follow all of your work on the machine.  stir the pot / get cooking

Sooo, now we know the secret of all of those high scores that you're going be posting in the coming months. It's EASY to get 26 credits and a score of 237,780 when you have no glass in place. Tongue Out Crazy frying pan (sorry, couldn't resist)

Yeah he probably going to put hidden hinges on that glass top. bust gut laughing bust gut laughing

Ron
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #82 on: October 09, 2009, 11:56:19 AM »

Nutty guys... Tongue Out
I am toying with the idea of having the option of a multi-ball capabilities...  Tongue Out
But for my next trick, stir the pot / get cooking I would like to install miniature SMD LEDs
alongside the main #47 bulbs inside their respective light shadow boxes in the backglass to make the "stars"
appear to twinkle when you knock down all the targets and get a "Free Game".

I think it would be a very easy addition and visually exciting! yes yummy
The trigger to set this off ?......It would be simple!>>>the KNOCKER solenoid!

The thing is, these SMD LEDs are extremely tiny and really are made to be installed on boards.
I've seen them on boards in certain toppers such as the Las Vegas topper.
This one needs a few lamps to complete it as I've already change the "flasher" chip behind the board.
These SMD LEDs lamps are only found cheaply from China...
They sort of look like this>>>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/d0n84t3j4dI&rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/d0n84t3j4dI&rel=0</a>
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #83 on: October 09, 2009, 12:13:50 PM »

This is a small board I removed from a destroyed mini helicopter my niece had.
It was a "battery indicator" light.
Basically, it would change colors from red to green when the battery was charged in her helicopter.
It's brightest (according to my benchtop DC power supply) is peaked at about 2-1/2 VDC.
It would dim at anything over 3 volts DC.
I don't know how it changes colors because it would not light up if the leads are reversed from the power supply.
I understand that LEDs are polarity sensitive...
If you click on the photo and enlarge it with a "microscope",
you will see how small this light really is on the board
The entire bulb itself is actually smaller than the 22 guage wires going to the board!>>>

* mini SMD LED.jpg (30.17 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 263 times.)

* smd led board 003.jpg (37.12 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 281 times.)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 12:33:43 PM by stayouttadabunker » Logged
Op-Bell
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 326

« Reply #84 on: October 09, 2009, 09:17:29 PM »

Basically, it would change colors from red to green when the battery was charged in her helicopter.
It's brightest (according to my benchtop DC power supply) is peaked at about 2-1/2 VDC.
It would dim at anything over 3 volts DC.
I don't know how it changes colors because it would not light up if the leads are reversed from the power supply.
I understand that LEDs are polarity sensitive...
There is a clue in the "small print" on the board. It is laid out for different kinds of LED, that's why it says "LED" three times, except that two of those times it says "LED1" and the other just says "LED". From my inspection of the traces it appears that LED1 + goes to LED -, and LED1 - goes to LED +. That's how you would get a color change - have a red LED backwards in parallel with a green one, so that with one polarity the red lights up and when reversed, the green lights up.

Cranking up my magic microscope, I can see there are actually two LED chips inside that grain of sugar -  Scratch Head  - I know, just take my word for it. One is red and the other will be green, connected back to back in parallel. You probably blew out the green LED by connecting it to the power supply without a series resistor to limit the current. When you connect up LEDs, assume that the LED wants 2V, take this off the supply voltage and put in a resistor to limit the current to 10 milliamps or less. That's 100 ohms per volt. So in this example, LED on 6VDC, LED wants 2V, 6V-2V=4V, 100 ohms per volt, series resistor wants to be about 400 ohms. Nearest standard values are 390 ohms and 430 ohms - use what you can get, it's not critical.
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #85 on: October 10, 2009, 01:51:34 AM »

I noticed the Hong Kong guys on fleabay sometimes sell their LEDs  with certain resistors pre-soldered...
I ordered 50pcs  of white SMD LEDs size 1206 (They are popular in 605, 803...) These things are tiny as heck...
I bought the white ones in BOLD for $9.00,
These things are like 4 times the price in the States.
One thing for sure ,they're bright as heck and some toy hobbyists stick them in their trains as headlights.
You know those tiny little "passenger trains"? They use these lights as overhead cabin lights "inside" the tiny models>>>

ForwardVoltage(V) Dominant wavelength(mm) Luminous Flux(Lm) (MCD) Reverse current(uA) 50% Power Angle (deg)
  If=20mA                    If=20mA                      If=20mA                            Vr=5V

Min    Typ             Min    Typ               Min    Typ                         Max
Red       2.1    2.3             615    625               150    180                          10                        125˚
Yellow   2.1    2.3             587    595               120    140                          10                        125˚
Brite     
Green
   3        3.3             515    520               350    380                          10                        125˚
Blue     3        3.2             460    465               150    180                          10                        125˚
White   3.2    3.4            X=0.31
                                        Y=0.32               310    360                          10                       125˚

Pink       3.2    3.4             515    465               300    350                          10                        125˚

ADD>> I noticed they like to hawk sell 370ohm resistors
plus I did a dummy move and turned on the bench top power supply first before turning the voltage down...I noticed that it was set at 16.4VDC from something I was doing earlier...you maybe right...I could have blown it out before I had a chance to see what real voltage it would take.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 02:43:58 AM by stayouttadabunker » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.