Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 12:56:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Monitor Repair Log and Database. **Arcade and Gaming**
| |-+  Monitor Repair Tech Support
| | |-+  megatouch maxx monitor Issue
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: megatouch maxx monitor Issue  (Read 6702 times)
screenie
« on: January 06, 2011, 12:33:26 AM »

Hi newbie to forum i got a problem monitor wises i think

i got a megatouch maxx sapphire edition, a problem has popped up when i finishedplaying on the machine i switched it off has i
had to pop out and when i came back and switched the machine back on my screen went all fizzy i guess. after a while you can see the
the colours and it like lines on the screen, but there is a panel in the back which allows me to turn the v hold h hold size brightness etc once i mess
arround turning them the picture come back and i can tune it back to normal, but i notice menu is still but now when on a game it jumps side to side in a way and when restarting the manchine again i got to repeat the same again, i have tried my lcd monitor for my pc on it and it displays prefect! but i hope some 1 can point me in the right direction, if it a stupid thing that might of came lose or so

thanks
screenie
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 12:52:13 AM »

I have attached pictures what the happens when i switch the machine on, the panel to tune the monitor.

* IMG00190-20110106-0239.jpg (344.69 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 267 times.)

* IMG00192-20110106-0240.jpg (192.11 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 270 times.)
screenie
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 12:54:03 AM »

and this the what it is like after tuning the monitor using the blue wheels on the panel

and i cant understand why it has gone like this as it's never done i before , thanks for looking.

* IMG00193-20110106-0241.jpg (419.84 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 273 times.)
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 07:18:50 AM »

Welcome to New Life Games, screenie.   wave

I'm not a monitor expert, but I would guess based on your pictures (thank you for posting them, by the way -- it makes troubleshooting so much easier) that you have an issue with the potentiometer (aka "pot") (adjustment wheel) that controls the Horizontal Hold for your monitor.

If the issue was with the vertical hold, the picture would be scrolling up (or down) repeatedly.  The horizontal hold locks the image from scrolling to the left (or right) repeatedly.  Based on the picture you posted, and your description (that the menu jumps from side to side), the horizontal hold is not set correctly, or is not maintaining its setting.

Over time, potentiometers tend to get dirty and not make a good contact internally, which will cause intermittent problems.  The first and simplest thing you can try is to simply rotate the H Hold pot all the way back and forth a number of times.  This can help to clean off the internal contacts and hopefully make a better contact.  Once you've moved it back and forth a number of times, adjust it so that it is in the middle of the area where the screen appears to be stable (that is, not moving side to side).  You should notice that on the edge of that stable area, it will start moving to the right if you move the pot one way, and to the left if you move it the other way.  Try and find the center of the stable zone, and be willing to adjust it a hair one way or the other to compensate for potential screen shifts as the screen image changes.  (That is, if you switch from the menu to a game and the screen appears to start drifting to the right, adjust the dial just a hair in the opposite direction to find the sweet spot where the screen will stay locked even when the image changes.)

You may also need to eventually (or even now, depending on how bad it is) replace the pot, or replace the monitor control board (you should be able to simply buy a new board, and with the power off disconnect the wire harnesses going to the old control board and connect the new one) to resolve the issue.  Start with my suggestion above, though, and let us know if you're able to get the issue resolved, or at least better.

Also, beware that CRT monitors carry VERY high voltage (potentially deadly, even when turned off and unplugged).  Do not mess with any of the wiring that is connected to the monitor, and keep a healthy distance from all of the components that are attached to or directly related to the monitor.  Based on your monitor experience from your question, the only adjustments you should attempt at this time are with the pots (dials) on that control board.  Again, keep your distance from any other components of the monitor.   lightning bolt lightning bolt lightning bolt

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
screenie
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 10:57:44 PM »

thanks for the reply i have tried the suggestions you gave me to try but still nothing
i trieda lcd pc monitor on the board and it works brillant, but is possible to replace mointor
with a pc one if the touch can be moved over to the other mointor.
knagl

Kevin

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 02:41:27 AM »

I'm sure there are LCD touchscreens that use a compatible touchscreen controller, but I'm not familiar enough with the platform to be able to give you further help.  Hopefully someone else will chime in here.

A cheaper solution would be to buy a replacement monitor control board (the thing with the adjustment dials), as I think that'll resolve your issue (I can't promise that, though).

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
screenie
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 12:14:07 PM »

i will try that then thanks for helping me out, A+
knagl

Kevin

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 04:37:57 PM »

Hey there, monitor gurus.

I was hoping that someone more familiar with monitors than me can help another member out in a different thread.  He has a Megatouch bartop touchscreen game that appears (to me) to have an issue with the horizontal hold, but if he tweaks with the pots on the monitor control board, he's able to get it working correctly again (for a short time).  Could you guys take a look at his thread and either confirm what I've told him, or perhaps be able to offer him some better ideas?

Circular link removed.

Thanks!

Moderator: Removed link, since it now points back to this thread. SF garfield
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 07:16:10 PM by StatFreak » Logged

knagl

Kevin

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 04:40:47 PM »

Hang on for a day or so before you go and buy anything -- I just posted a message in the monitor help forum asking some folks to take a look at this thread to see if they can offer you some advice.

StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 07:10:26 PM »

Knalg, that's a good idea. I moved the thread to this board and merged it with this one, since screenie's issue is more a monitor problem than a Megatouch problem.

Stat garfield
nlg  Global Moderator

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
knagl

Kevin

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 10:49:01 PM »

Knalg, that's a good idea.

Thanks, Stta.    Tongue Out

Firebird
Contributing Gold NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 5

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 11:03:20 PM »

Sounds to me like the problem may be a bad capacitor on the board, or the IC that controls the horizontal and vertical sync. I am not ruling out the remote board but a test with a DMM will verify if the pot is working properly. His best bet is to take the monitor to a shop and have it looked at.
screenie
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 11:06:50 PM »

hi all, thanks you all for your advise, i managed to fix it in the end. I was looking at the board below the mointor not to sure what it called and noticed 3 white pot wheels, 1 was labeled h-post and the other was v - pos, the last one was just labelled Adj and has 3 digits starting with r***, anyway after turn this wheel a hair at a time, my screen became more stable. after playing a few games. i switched machine off and back on and the screen is back to normal.

Again thank you all for your advise A+ to you all   Hail  applause
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 11:23:00 PM »

Thanks for letting us know that you got it working.  applause   +1 (Karma, or whatever)

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
knagl

Kevin

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 07:01:31 PM »

Great news.  Congrats on getting your game working well again.

You may want/need to re-calibrate the touchscreen since the monitor image has likely moved.  Calibrating the touchscreen teaches the touchscreen where the monitor image is compared to where you touch on the screen, and will make your touches to the screen more accurate.  To recalibrate the screen, press the service button inside the cabinet and find the 'calibrate touchscreen' option in the service menu, then following the directions on the screen to calibrate.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.