Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 26, 2024, 09:33:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Arcade Games, Pinball, Crane Games, Redemption Games and Other Stuff
| |-+  Other Arcade Games
| | |-+  United's Sunny "Shuffle Alley"
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: United's Sunny "Shuffle Alley"  (Read 11471 times)
Randy0777
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 311

« on: April 19, 2010, 05:21:13 AM »

...Sorry for all the pictures,but it will help with my question's.

* 1.jpg (155.82 KB, 1000x750 - viewed 377 times.)

* 2.jpg (187.77 KB, 1000x750 - viewed 364 times.)
Randy0777
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 05:22:02 AM »

* 3.jpg (221.25 KB, 1000x750 - viewed 317 times.)

* 4.jpg (277.81 KB, 1000x750 - viewed 312 times.)
Randy0777
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 05:23:03 AM »

OK,here goes a bunch of questions.
If you look at the picture of the solenoids , and the number one pin plate is close,and the others are backed away(while the pin is up). it makes a noise like twelve weedeater  Duh!...all of the others are silent  Scratch Head

The pins on the left do not go up when struck(they do give the points as being hit). If I hit the switch on the top ,they will go up.

* 5.jpg (218.85 KB, 1000x750 - viewed 297 times.)

* 6.jpg (169.58 KB, 1000x750 - viewed 380 times.)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 05:36:28 AM by Randy0777 » Logged
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 07:27:54 AM »

That's a very cool old game Randy. Hopefully, someone will be able to help you get it working. yes

garfield

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
wutsit4
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 0

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 12:01:37 AM »

I have a 1954 United Shuffle Alley.  Recommendations... Check all the connectors that join the various parts of the machine together.  If in doubt, verify connections with an ohm meter, while the machine is off.  Next, use the ohm meter to be sure that the coils are good that release the pins to snap up.  Next, use the ohm meter to check the wiring from the table switches to the relays to the pin release coils.
Because you say one side of the pins won't snap up, I would start my search at the relay that gets tripped for the dead side of the pin rack.  Look at the contacts for good spacing, and clean them by sliding some paper between the contacts while squeezing them together.  Compare the contacts, with the way they look on other working relays.
I'm betting on the relay contacts.
Good Luck,
   Keith

Basement holds Bally Eight Ball, Williams Grand Prix, Stern/Seeburg Dragonfist, Gottlieb Diamond Jack, Midway Chopper (helicopter), Williams Bonanza (shooter), United Shuffle Alley, Seeburg 222 jukebox, IGT Aristocrat Esprit that was recently resurrected,  (Only took 10 years to get the Esprit running), and a Bally GameMaker.
klorvinborno
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 2

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 02:42:55 PM »

Make sure you know how to clean contacts properly, when I "fixed" my 1964 United Tiger, I ended up creating more problems since I didn't really know what I was doing.  If you can't get yourself a contact cleaning file try a metal finger nail file.

As was mentioned, doesn't sound like a pin relay, but rather one of the relay's on the reset bank for that side.

In case you're not familiar with it a great resource for EM repairs:

http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index.htm
ROCKET
ROCKET
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 430

I DONT SELL ON EBAY ITS NOT ME .

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 04:17:19 PM »

OK,here goes a bunch of questions.
If you look at the picture of the solenoids , and the number one pin plate is close,and the others are backed away(while the pin is up). it makes a noise like twelve weedeater  Duh!...all of the others are silent  Scratch Head

The pins on the left do not go up when struck(they do give the points as being hit). If I hit the switch on the top ,they will go up.

I would drop  C. J.  a  PM cactusjack

he will tell you in nanno seconds whats wrong !!

The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, WHAT YOU CHOOSE TO POST , what you think & what you do is who you become.
Randy0777
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 12:39:17 AM »

Thanks for the replies...
I will check with the ohm. meter and see what I get. As far as cleaning the contacts, learned that on the pinballs  yes
As I said,I still have a bunch more questions... After I check and know I do not know the answer  Duh!
aklarry
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 14

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 01:26:08 AM »

That is the first game I ever worked on. found one in a rental house in 1963 I was 11,
I worked on that machine for a year without a manual until I finally got it to run.
darn thing was the reason I have spent the last almost 40 years in the vending business.
Now to get back to your problem, Is the plate against the coil with the power off. If so
Those coils can become magnetic after a while. If you can pull the plate away and it snaps back
just take a file and file the top of the coil a very small amount, this will demagnetize the coil.
This was a big problem in the old pinballs with score reels in the 70's and 80's
AkLarry
aklarry
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 01:29:44 AM »

The coil on One looks baked also If  you have a meter make sure it is the same resistance (OHM's) as the others

AkLarry
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 06:36:37 PM by aklarry » Logged
Randy0777
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 05:21:12 AM »

Thanks for the replies,and sorry for the delay...
Below is a read on the ohm's.  The number one pin (plate) has a slight larger gap than the rest of them. When the quake hits the pins,the gap opens ,except the number one pin...which pulls the plate closer against the solinoid  Scratch Head . This is where the LOUD noise is coming from. If I push it tight,it gets quiet,if I pull it away it gets quiet...but really hot  frying pan

* shuffle.JPG (9.87 KB, 640x400 - viewed 345 times.)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 05:29:46 AM by Randy0777 » Logged
aklarry
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 06:58:17 PM »

The coils all look OK so it might be a physical problem. There is a mechanical pin that is used to set the coil gap you just push the pin closer to close the gap to get it the same as the others. just carefully bend the pin down or up to make the gap the same when the coil is turned off. also make sure that the plate is setting flush with the top of the coil. Wish I was closer I could show you in a few minutes ho to do this
AkLarry
Nedc
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 03:40:10 PM »

In case you are still having problems:

When the puck hits the lane switch for pin one, a pin relay is energized in the backbox.  This relay sends power to the pin trip relay above pin 1 (the one that is buzzing).

When the pin trip relay pulls in, it unlatches the pin retract mechanism and the pin springs up.

The pin retract mechanism then opens a switch next to the coil to interrupt power to the pin trip relay coil.

On your game, the switch is not opening or is shorted.  The relay coil is staying energized.  That is why it is buzzing and why the coil looks cooked.

Also, the gaps on your pin trip relays are waaaay too wide.  They only need to come out enough to latch the pin retract mechanism.  More travel = more wear and tear.
Randy0777
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2010, 05:22:40 AM »

The pictures of the game is in a back room,which we never really use. The last time I looked at it was when I did the OHM readings. I had some spare time the other day and went to work on it, and it was surrounded with boxes  hissy fit . I moved it two days ago to the main game room(in the middle of the floor). So,this week I need to fix it  yes.

I'll try the gaps on the coils (like I said,its just #1 ) . My main problem is when I hit the "contacts" on the board with the quake,it will give the points,but the pins wont go up  Scratch Head . I'll play with it more so I can give more info  Duh!
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2010, 08:16:43 AM »

NLG Welcome Nedc wave

I gave you a positive karma for offering help on your first post. applause applause

StatFreak garfield
nlg  Global Moderator

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
Neonkiss
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 436

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2010, 10:16:47 AM »

Also check the leaf switches for proper operation. Many of those are make and break switches. In the open position one set of contacts are closed and when the coil energizes and pulls in, the closed switch opens and the lower leaf closes. If not adjusted correctly, both switches stay closed. Check with an OHM meter to be sure that the operation is correct. Improperly adjusted switches will also burn off the contact on the leaf. Visually check the contacts and verify with a meter.
It's time consuming, but it is the only way to tell.

I had this issue with a pinball recently. My switches were stacked side by side and it made it impossible to visually see the switch operation. Could only tell by using a meter.

Nothing brings people together better than a common enemy
343 / 60 brothers lost on that day.
Randy0777
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2010, 10:46:30 PM »

I cant seem to locate my metal file for the contacts Scratch Head . The other main problem is 5 of the pins on the left will not go up when hit. It will register the score. So need to get someone to hit them while I'm in the back box to see where it is controlled from. I also gave K+  wave
Nedc
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2010, 01:50:58 PM »

When the puck hits the lane switches, pin relays are energized in the backbox (in one of the reset banks).

These relays register scoring and send power to the pin trip relays above the pins to unlatch and raise the pins.

Since the scoring works, you know the pin relays work.

Because there are 5 pins not retracting, the problem is more likely something common to all those pins.

First, check the wiring harness from all the pin trip relays above the pins.  That harness probably goes through a jones connector.  Do as wutsit4 suggested and check/clean that connector.

Unplug the connector and use a small wire brush or a scotchbright pad and scrub the male pins of the connector.  Make sure you get inside and between all the male pins.
Randy0777
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 12:09:08 AM »

I was able to get the noisy coil  quiet (contacts were sticking) . Another one of the pins were not going up due to the coil not pulling the plate back far enough to release it. So now I have four pins not going up (2,4,7,8) . I tried cleaning all of the connections,inside also. When the puck hits the bottom switches,it does pull the contacts in (see picture)Three hours later,at least its cleaner  Crazy .
Randy0777
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2010, 04:39:38 AM »

Duh! frying pan OK,do I feel stupid. I checked and cleaned everthing in the back box. Volts,ohms,etc... The problem was the contacts right above the pins. You can see them in the picture (red circles) . I released the plates so I could clean the contacts,but when the plates were back in place(pins down) they were not making contact  sleep Adjusted them and the plates,and they all work fine  yes .

I'm almost done,just a few more questions . In the other picture is the buttons for selections. The "normal strike" and "easy strike" which changes on the back glass when pushed....But,can someone explain the difference  Scratch Head I cant find it as I'm playing.
And what does the other buttons do? The left makes a clicking in the back (everyone is asleep,so cant push it and be in the back). The right button does not seem to do anything.

I found the placards that go over the button...A PDF file that I could print and put over the buttons. I cant find the file nor can I locate where I found them at on the net (Thought it was on Clays site)  Scratch Head . Does anyone have a copy?
Thanks for all the help  Hail

EDIT;I found out what the other button suppose to do. Regulation or bonus. So now I have my next task...figure out why it wont change

EDIT 2 Tongue Out . Checked the switch.Removed and cleaned...all is well  applause Just need the lables for the buttons

* rsz_100_0251.jpg (435.61 KB, 1536x1152 - viewed 323 times.)

* rsz_100_0252.jpg (571.85 KB, 1536x1152 - viewed 338 times.)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 05:09:47 AM by Randy0777 » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.