Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 27, 2024, 04:12:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Arcade Games, Pinball, Crane Games, Redemption Games and Other Stuff
| |-+  Other Arcade Games
| | |-+  Cherry master questions
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cherry master questions  (Read 11370 times)
use001
« on: September 16, 2010, 09:56:02 PM »

hello all,   i picked up my 1st cherry master "new cherry 96" from craiglist for $150.  locks were broke and monitor was blurry, just bought some new locks and turn the focus dial on back of tv. BUT the double button does not work, i wanted to know the easiest way to fix? i switched double button with take score button and the button itself worked? Bad wire? bad board? should i just buy new 8-line harness from twistedquarter on eBay?

Also i would like to know what boards i can use with this machine without and modifications? i wanted to buy a magic bomb board i found for $100.

Also any advise on upgrading, tips, do and don'ts and what to stay away from like multi-game boards?

Thanks everyone for your time.
Taco
Contributing NLG Member
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 13

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 10:06:03 PM »

Do you have a pinout sheet? I just went through my first Cherry Machine experience, and the guys here are great.

According to my sheet, your double button/stop should come off parts side #13. If you need a copy of all the paperwork for the New Cherry 96 I'd be happy to email it to you. Also I went through a full rebuild on mine and Twisted Quarter carried all the parts I needed and they were excellent. Here is there link. http://twistedquarter.com/
use001
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 03:34:51 PM »

yes thanks i found the free manuals from looking through the forum, from glamusment. i haven't worked on PCB in while, but is there anywhere to find the harness schematics, i think it could just possible be that the a wire came loose from the button to the PCB harness. the "double" button does light up when it in its normal postion but just doesn't work

Yeah this site has been ever so helpful. i found the free manuals, found the volume knob on my board, found the focus dial on back of TV, found where to get quality items on eBay,  and also found a coin op auction in 2weeks bout 30miles away all from these forums.

So thanks all you guys that know WTF your doing and help out here.

jeddybear
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 05:16:57 PM »

the magic bomb board would be plug and play, changing pins to your playing requirements.
markhart
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 10

Collecting Antique Slots Since 1969

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 06:48:17 PM »

First thing I would suspect is that the Double Up feature is turned off at the dipswitch.  I believe when it is turned off  it takes the points that are won automatically.  Let us know.  Markl

Antique Slot Machine Collector Since 1969
use001
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 08:23:08 PM »

hello, no the double was on, on the board and "double" didn't work but the light turned on on the button. so i turned it off. i don't have the proper tools at the moment to work on the PCB
 (no voltmeter), but i could check the wire connections from the button. prolly a good idea if i get the tools, I'm really liking playing are with these machines and opening my own gameroom.  thanks.
markhart

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 10:37:35 PM »

Next thing I would check is to see if you have continuity from the long edge connector to the contact on the board.  Sometimes the harness won't make a good contact at that point.  You can get a very small screwdriver or pick and bend the connector out a tad if that is the spot where it is no connecting.  Also, make sure your ground wire at the switch is grounded to the rest of the harness.  I would bet the problem won't be in the board itself.  Let us know what happens.

BTW, you can test the buttons by putting the machine into "Port Test Mode".  To do this, hold down both of your bookkeeping buttons while you power up the machine.  The "0"s on the screen will turn to "1"s as you test each button.  To get out of this mode, turn the machine off and back on again.  Mark

use001
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 11:11:06 PM »

Thanks for the info, went out and got a multimeter. i check it all out and let you know thanks alot guys.
travlingtech

Total Karma Storms: 0

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 11:53:39 PM »

Once you get a volt meter, check across the switch terminals, not the lamp. You should read +5 volts dc. Another thing you can do is take a wire from ground off power supply or another switch and first touch it to the sitch wire at the switch. If that doesnt work take the ground to the pin on the board. If touchung ground to the board terminal and the double still does  not work it sounds like a board issue.

Have tools will travel
Randy0777
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 311

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 02:49:19 AM »

Hi,
I only have one question(to be able to help you  wave ) .When you switched the the "take" and "double" wires on the buttons,did it let you double up? If you say yes,or no...its really easy to fix  Crazy
use001
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 05:14:29 PM »

no i could not double up.
Randy0777
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2010, 08:00:42 PM »

Are you sure the double up is turned on?
markhart

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2010, 08:51:42 PM »

I've seen the dip switches on the board get dirty also.  I spray Elecro Wash on them and work them back and forth a few times.  The Port Test in the earlier post will tell you if the dip switch is on or off.

Randy0777
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 12:04:11 AM »

Any chance you post a picture of the board?
use001
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 03:23:02 PM »

i can assure you guys it is not the dip switch.

when the double game is on, on the board. the double button does not work, but the button lights up. the only way to continue the game at the point is to take score. so i turned the double off on the board via dip switch.

I took out the double button and the take score button and switched them. the double button itself worked find as the "take score" button.
The take score button did not work as the "double" button.

i can take a picture of my board, but only with my phone. so you have to tell me what part of the board you want to see, and i will post.

NO response in key port 1 when double button is pressed.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 03:54:10 PM by use001 » Logged
markhart

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2010, 04:22:45 PM »

I'm suspecting the long edge connector making a poor contact.  As the earlier poster suggested, running a ground wire to the edge connector where pin 13 connects will tell you 100% for sure if it is the board or not.

One more thing,  on some boards, the dip switch banks are not in the correct order.  You might have bank 1, bank 3 and then bank 2.  If this is the case you might be switching the wrong switch for the double up.  The Port Test will tell you if the correct bank is switched on or off.   They can get confusing sometimes.  If you are not real familiar with the board, it might be a good idea to make a list of where everything is set before you start moving the switches, or you can become easily confused.

use001
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2010, 04:46:05 PM »

Yeah fixed the problem. it was the 13 pin connector making poor contact to the board. thanks guys you'll were big help.

one more question would haunted house board be plug and play?
caspur
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2010, 10:18:21 PM »

use001 yes Haunted House PCBs are plug and play with the 36 pin harness
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.