Un-locked cell phones???

(1/7) > >>

Neonkiss:
I got an email today and see that Newegg is now selling un-locked cell phones.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=227&name=Unlocked-cell-phones

I currently have cell phone service with Verizon and have a nation wide plan with more mins than I use every month. I would like to come up to the 1990's with some type of smart phone. I spoke with the Verizon rep and they advised that I would need an additional data plan for $30.00 per month per phone.
I'm already paying them $105.00 for one plan with two phones and can't see upping that to $165.00+

Can I buy an un-locked phone and use it on my current service plan?
If so, I don't currently have a phone with a SIM card, will that make a difference?
And with a new un-locked smart phone on a no data service plan, I'll be able to surf the net at any wi-fi spot, but not with my phone minutes?

I did some searching on the net before posting this, but info was contradicting at best and some sites stated that discussions about un-locked phones were prohibited because they're illegal???
If their  illegal, why does Newegg have a whole section selling them?

Any input or opinion is welcome.

poppo:
They are not illegal.

FWIW, I don't do a lot of phone talking and have a LG Optimus V smartphone with Virgin Mobile. $25 a month for 300 minutes and unlimited text and true unlimited 3G data. WiFi capable of course too.

brichter:
You should have made this decision a month ago before they kicked out the unlimited data plans.   :60-

I specifically got my new phone outside of Verizon so I could stay on my unlimited data plan... and I'll stay month to month with them for the next decade to stay on unlimited data. :89-

You need to get a Verizon compatible phone (CDMA), GSM phones won't work on their network. SIM cards are for GSM phones only...

Without data access you won't be able to surf the web unless your phone has WiFi and you're connected to a WiFi hotspot.

Neonkiss:
Thanks for the replies so far. Keep the suggestion coming.
Or post your cost saving hints.  :89-   :148- :56- :148-

Story of my life, two months too late and two buck short. :25-

Yoeddy1:
The iPhone 5 will be coming in October and will be available from AT&T, Verizon, and now Sprint.  I love the iPhone 4 and luckily got in right before the true unlimited data use came to a halt.  For what it's worth, I would suspect iPhone 4's are going to be REALLY cheap in the coming months.

Jason

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page