Toyota Tacoma head gasket replacement

(1/9) > >>

brichter:
Ok, you knew it was coming. :5- :5-

Spent a couple of hours on it Wednesday night after work, finished the teardown this morning.

Picture 1: How much has to come off to get to it, and organization is the key to putting it back together.

Picture 2: My daughter's statement when she looked under the hood: Dad, there's a big empty hole in there! (note the crosshatching in the bores, not bad for a quarter million miles...)

brichter:
Head off.

Picture 1: Pretty clean except for the big hunk of sludge in the middle...

Picture 2: The business side of things. Notice the big witness mark between tthe 2 combustion chambers on the left, more on that later

brichter:
The culprit.

Picture 1: Note the gap between the 2 holes on the left. The front of the engine is on the right, so #3 and #4 are on the left.

Picture 2: Closeup. Note the black stuff between the 2 holes on the right. This was a failure that had been a long time coming, that and some other things I saw lead me to believe someone's been here before, and their skill level was not equal to the job.   :60- :25-

brichter:
Prior pictures were the block side of the gasket, note the black witness marks on the following pictures of the other side (cylinder head side) of the gasket. It was leaking worse on the head side, that leads me to believe the head wasn't flat the last time this job was done, or that the torque specs/procedure wasn't followed.

More to come after I take the head to the machine shop for pressure testing and surfacing if needed.

kforeman:
wow dude that is core!!  props on your wrench turning skills, definitely more than i would have taken on.  now you'll get another 250K out of it right!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page