Problems with Ethanol mixed fuel

(1/6) > >>

wrkey:
Here's a tip for those of us who have small engines sitting around for periods of time (generators, boats, lawn mowers, etc.)

It is pretty common knowledge that gasoline left alone and untouched with some type of preservative for an extended period of 6 months are more will slowly begin to deteriate and turn into what is a 'varnish' like thick substance.  However with the advent of methanol use in fuels this deteriation time is greatly accellerated and can have bigger detrimental effects than just a tank of bad gas.

Here's the skinny.  Ethonal is added to gasoline for several reasons, "reduction" of petroleum use, increased octane rating and lower emissions.  Some of these reason are debatable but that's the idea.  The problem with methonal mixed fuels is that methonal tends to "evaporate" faster than the other components of gasoline.  This causes several problems.  In order for the methonal to remain 'mixed' in well with the other ingredients of the fuel, other 'bonding' agents are added to the mix.  As the methonal leaves the mix these bonding agents look for other molecules to 'latch onto' and unfortunately for those of us in higher humidity climents water is a good substitute.  These bonding agents also like the adhere themselves to the components of the flexible plastic tubing used in many small engines such as weed eaters, chain saws, small out board motors etc.

Add to this bit of nastyness, the fact that methonal is faster to evaporate the problems begin a lot quicker than we have been used to.   The break down of the fuel can begin as soon as 30 days from the time you put the fuel in your tank depending upon delivery cycle and timing of the fuel retail outlet that you purchased it from.  This can also be accelerated by use in two cycle engines where addintional oil is added to the fuel mix.  I have seen fuel lines that "smush" in between your fingers like cooked macaroni and carbs completely gunked up with goo from engines that have been sitting for less than 4 months.

So.. how to resolve?  First, draining the tank and then running the engine until it is out of fuel can go along ways to preventing the problems.  There are several products out there that can be used to help stablise the fuel and slow the degredation process, Sta-bil and Sea Foam are two that I have used.  However, when you pick your stabelizer of choice, make sure it is for Ethonal mixed fuel or your results may not be as expected.  If you have a choice for your small engines avoid using Methonal mixed fuels but in some locations (Spring / Houston Texas is one of them) you may not be able to purchase it.  I have had my best luck with Sea Foam in case you are of interest.

Hope this info is of help.  For more info, simply search Methonal Mixed Fuel problems on Google.

CaptainHappy:
Interesting... K+ for sharing.

I usually use STA-BIL, but I may have to try the SeaFoam that you mentioned.

CaptainHappy :95-

brichter:
That's pretty much correct, but you shouldn't use ethanol and methanol interchangeably, because they are quite different chemically. Methanol is not used as an additive in gasoline, but it is used as an additive in nitromethane. That's what your Top Fuel and Funny Car dragsters use...

To make matters even worse, ethanol attracts water out of the atmosphere before it evaporates, so the amount of water left in the tank can be considerably more than with straight gasoline, and you can see issues in humid climates even if the vehicle isn't parked/stored for a long time.

Sea Foam is not just good for a stabilizer, it's also good for cleaning carburetors. I use it on my motorcycles every so often, especially the dirt bikes that don't always get ridden often.

Another K+ for ya...

wrkey:
You are correct.. my bad on the Methonal/Ethonal mix up.   I should know that since the oil company I work for moves about 6 million gallons of Methanol a month... sigh... what I get for typing faster than I am thinking!

And yes, I agree Sea Foam is great but I didn't want my comment to sound like an advertisement for it!

Thanks for the clarification!

ROCKET:
the fuel  I run in the real go carts & race cars .. not lawn go carts --- lol
race carts  -plus i put inot my various muscle cars that I own  that run a comresson ratio of todays stadards unheard of of 11:1 compression +
need the higher octane fuel to prevent >detonation < fuel knock for simple terms . which can blow a race engine up fast ..

I had a super source for fuel in the 103--108 octane rating for the past 6 yrs . but the contact went to work for another company.

the fuel I would get was a 2--stroke mix at times --when used in a auto with a 24 gallon tank etc . you never noticed any problems .
at the track it came from -every cart user mixed there own fuel for there cart --after they purchased the raw fuel from the track .

after a race -when it was time to go -they had to dispose of any unused fuel into 55 gallon drums . so i would get a heinz 57 variety of fuels
that were 2 stroke smokeless oil based mixed . ever 55 galon drum was a diff octane .

the best way to determine the stength of it off the cuff --was to syhpon off a 1/4 gallon pour it on gravel and toss a match to it ! :244- :244-

if it basicaly vaporized on the spot and you could not see any color of flame it was 105 octane or above we determined .if it had any signs of orange flame
it was a lower grade fuel that burned longer on ground only .

remember the higher the explosive rate ==higher octane ==longer use out of a tank of fuel

low octane fuel that burns at slower rate may be cheaper and so called not needed for todas cars ??

B/S  ----A tank of premium at pump gasoline vs a tank of reg --the tank of premium will make that auto or truck etc go a further distance ..
because of the exlosive rate of the fuel .

a pure 55 gallon drum of race fuel at the 103 rating is totally clear in color .when poured on ground and lit by match it was sightless to human eye .
it evaporated to touch .. IT SMELLS SO WONDERFULL IN BRAND NEW FORM -GOING INTO A TANK AND EVEN WHILE BREATHING IN VAPORS FROM BEHIND CAR !! ITS HEAVEN ..

but it makes the old cars go ike they should without anti knock products poured in .
wll post some pictures of the 55 gallon drums later of the actual contents label .

oh by the way at the track fuel cost was $5.00 --$7.00 a gallon for 103 octane .

but put into a muslce car -it makes the car sing with the best !!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page