Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 06:21:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S and S-plus Reel Games. (Moderator: knagl)
| | |-+  Error 12 Weirdness/Bent EPROM pin (I'm addicted)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Error 12 Weirdness/Bent EPROM pin (I'm addicted)  (Read 1649 times)
Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 233

« on: September 25, 2009, 09:48:12 PM »

So check this out:

My S Jackpot Jungle all of a sudden started generating random error 12 codes.  Usually opening and closing the door would resolve them, but as of a day or two ago, they almost ocurred on every other spin.  Keep in mind I've only had this machine for a month or so.  As you can see below, the previous owner installed a 3 AA battery pack.  I figured maybe the problem was due to an actual issue concerning the batteres.  I changed them out...no help.  I paid next to nothing for this machine, but I was a bit worried as parts are obviously scarce for S machines.

Anyway, I decide to open up the machine and pull the board out.  As I'm inspecting the board I notice that the chip that I have circled in the photo below had a bent pin that wasn't even seated.  I pulled the chip, and this pin was mangled, as were some of the others.   I spent about 15 minutes straightening out the pins.  I reinstalled the chip and walla!  It came back to life and I haven't had an anomaly since.  *Knocking on wood*

My question to the gurus is, what is that chip that I highlighted and why would i generate a battery condition? 

Guys, I'm getting addicted to tweaking my Slot and newly found CEI Draw Poker machine!  I almost love looking at them, cleaning them, and fixing them more than actually playing them.  My wife thinks I'm crazy.    arrow  Anyway, thanks as always...you guys are great!

* 3.jpg (355.53 KB, 1424x1072 - viewed 169 times.)

Yoeddy's IGT Slot Machine Videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/Yoeddy1
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 10:14:53 PM »

Yes,
That's really the fun part about owning these machines...LOL...working on them...
personally, I don't mind when something goes wrong -
I just try to found out what happened and get right into it again...LOL
Crazy? well, that's a little harsh...   how about OBSESSSED!!!! rotflmao

Naw, it's a hobby like no other...
get your self an old pinball machine and
then you really see what tinkering with old machines are all about! LOL
I spend more time in my workshop than watching football,but
it all evens out with a nice round of golf with your buddies...
My wife loves to actually "play" with the machines I put together... Tongue Out

Now, error code 21?  battery is dropping below required threshold of like I dunno voltage...
basically it's dying out! LOL
Bent pins? That's never a good thing but,  so what?
All you gotta do is straighten them out and push 'em back in the sockets..LOL
That wasn't hard wasn't it?

Good sleuthing job on the bent pins and getting your machine back on track! applause
uniman
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 695

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 10:40:03 PM »

That chip looks like a ram chip.
Possibly the bent pins were intermittently shorting and creating a voltage drop on the board which generated the errors.
Openning and closing the door might have been enough movement to stop the short.
Amazing the machine worked at all.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.