Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 02:50:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Progressive Controllers, Displays and Slot Toppers
| |-+  Mikohn Progressive Systems.
| | |-+  What are the capabilities of the ChamII?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What are the capabilities of the ChamII?  (Read 8877 times)
Magicslots
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 62

« on: March 16, 2011, 01:12:07 PM »

What are the capabilities of the ChamII? I know it is capable of text messages when programmed through PSP.
Do these work only in idle mode? Can it be set to switch back and forth between the jackpot amount and a msg
during gameplay?  Can the entire display be set to flip/scroll etc while the amount is incrementing?

I am still reading up on PSP and how to use it. Plus I am in the process of gathering what I need to make the RS232 cable.
Any advice on where to look, what to try etc would be greatly appreciated.  Help    Hail  Hail  Hail

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has no heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains."  (Sir Winston Churchill)
stormrider
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 131

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 02:13:00 PM »

What are the capabilities of the ChamII? I know it is capable of text messages when programmed through PSP.
Do these work only in idle mode? Can it be set to switch back and forth between the jackpot amount and a msg
during gameplay?  Can the entire display be set to flip/scroll etc while the amount is incrementing?

I am still reading up on PSP and how to use it. Plus I am in the process of gathering what I need to make the RS232 cable.
Any advice on where to look, what to try etc would be greatly appreciated.  Help    Hail  Hail  Hail

You can program a scrolling message with the jackpot amount-Yes

I would work on getting familiar with the psp and jackpot programming first(being this is your first time)
before you tackle the scrolling message stuff it's a bit of a hair puller
check the Mikohn threads for programming the message.

Tim

This thread might be of some help on the message programming
but do yourself a favor and start with the basic setup and getting it to work in the machine first.

http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=184.0
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 02:18:25 PM by stormrider » Logged
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 03:46:12 PM »

Hi Magic,
Do you have the ChamII or the ChamII+.
There's a difference.
Also, what machine are you installing this unit in?
Why not post a nice clear picture of the white label on the board?
I'm NOT convinced you have what you think you have.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 04:11:56 PM by stayouttadabunker » Logged
stormrider
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 131

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 03:59:08 PM »

Do you have the ChamII or the ChamII+.
There's a difference.
Also, what machine are you installing this unit in?
Why not post a nice clear picture of the white label on the board?
I'm NOT convinced you have what you think you have.

From the pictures I saw it was the +
and from what I read he wants to install it in a S2000

Tim

My bad that picture I saw was another member we were helping jer3270  frying pan frying pan frying pan frying pan
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 04:06:26 PM by stormrider » Logged
Magicslots
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 09:54:24 PM »

O.K. heres the deal. It is indeed a ChamII. Bought the S2K from Jim at Betterslots with the onboard
progressive.  He had it working, then it quit.  Couldnt figure it out, but he was swamped with work  Duh!
After the shipping fiasco, ( I'll tell that in another post) It would display the jackpot, but not increment.
After working with Jim and Mark, turns out it was a bad/loose com wire.
It is working now, I have even learned how to access the menus using the onboard buttons.  I have changed the font and the
odspeed several times.  Still hunting what I want.

I bought the parts and built the serial RS232 cable for the PSP program today.  Will try to test/play with it this evening.
I have an old IBM laptop to put the PSP on.
Anyway...heres the pic :

* cham2.JPG (107.98 KB, 800x600 - viewed 271 times.)

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has no heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains."  (Sir Winston Churchill)
Foster
The S2000 GURU
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 345

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 10:33:28 PM »

That is definitely a Cham II+ for stand alone progressive, your S2000 will think it is a linked progressive.
What I mean by stand alone is that the Cham II+ is the progressive controller and display controller, the display driver is on the small board on the back of the dispaly.
Where a Cham II would need a Con 2I to function as  progressive system and does not have J7 on it.

A Slot Machine and Coca-Cola Addict!!
"If it is not broke do not fix it" I keep forgetting that!
Magicslots
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 01:25:13 AM »

Found this in another thread here.  Is the ChamII+ capable of these kind of graphics?
They would look awsome on my TD Red Hot Strike!!!  yes yes yes

http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=5316.msg46304#msg46304

stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 02:17:16 AM »

whoo boy!
That's a winter project in which springtime came too soon!  Thank God! lol
I didn't get back into it as I distinctly remember I had more hair on my head before I got into that stuff... bust gut laughing

You have a LOT more reading to do before you can make those  animations!
Magicslots
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 02:31:40 AM »

You have a LOT more reading to do before you can make those  animations!

Oh I realize that. In fact its probably way beyond what I will ever be able to do!  frying pan

As it is right now I would be very happy with something simple like a text msg that  says:

The Jackpot is now:      and then the current amount pops back up

But I have a feeling even that is gonna take this dumb old man a while to figure out  Crazy

stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 02:36:09 AM »

You notice with the PSP program... you CAN change the rotating messages.
In fact you can type in about 4 or 5 different jackdos and they will all return to the progressive incrementing display.
Magicslots
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 02:49:47 AM »

Do I need to switch the configuration switch S2 to program mode before I plug in the RS232 cable?
And then start PSP? I take it the PSP program is only for programming and will not/should not be running while the game
is in play?  Scratch Head

stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 02:58:01 AM »

No,
The PSP can be plugged in all the time if you wish.
It's been awhile since I've played with these...best to keep a manual on your lap...  yes
Magicslots
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 03:00:14 AM »

Thanks Mark. I hope to get around to some serious experimenting with it soon.
Will the PSP program show real time data of what is occurring with the unit??

Foster
The S2000 GURU
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 345

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2011, 03:04:56 AM »

PSP does not monitor what the Cham II+ is doing, you can read the current values of the progressive by pressing LOAD, on the jackpot program is about it.
It is designed to program the controller and not be used continuously.
You can leave it plugged into the computer and psp running there is no real need to do so.

A Slot Machine and Coca-Cola Addict!!
"If it is not broke do not fix it" I keep forgetting that!
Magicslots
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 03:09:13 AM »

Hail Hail
Thank you Sir, I haven't messed around with DOS based stuff in a looong time  Silly Me!
I used to be really good at it, But as time goes by the adage of "once you learn how to ride a bicycle..etc etc"
doesn't seem to hold up with my feeble mind  Tongue Out

brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 440

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2011, 03:40:59 AM »

Found this in another thread here.  Is the ChamII+ capable of these kind of graphics?
They would look awsome on my TD Red Hot Strike!!!  yes yes yes

http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=5316.msg46304#msg46304

No. That is a Supreme controller with a 1x3 display. Totally different hardware and uses a different software package to program it.

Thanks,
Bill
Magicslots
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2011, 03:46:40 AM »

No. That is a Supreme controller with a 1x3 display. Totally different hardware and uses a different software package to program it.

I had a feeling that would be the answer....oh well.  I need to learn to crawl before I can dance  Cry Laughing

knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011, 05:58:11 AM »

You'll never be able to get those kind of graphics on the ChamII+.  Here are a couple of videos of about the most you can do with a ChamII+ (the first one is mine, the second is another NLG member).

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ag94RWzZF2k&rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/ag94RWzZF2k&rel=0</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/3379SPwYZFg&rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/3379SPwYZFg&rel=0</a>

Be sure to read up on the other posts here in the Mikohn category about how to interface your computer with the controller so we don't need to reinvent the wheel in this thread.  One of the key things to note is that when you want to upload new data to the device, it generally will only take right after a reboot (power cycle) of the ChamII+.  In other words, when you're ready to upload, pull the plug on the meter, wait a second or two, then plug it back in.  As soon as it finishes its boot sequence and shows you the jackpot amount on the display, then upload from the computer for the best chance of it actually working.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
Magicslots
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2011, 02:49:52 AM »

Well I have partial success with PSP.  I finally found out that PSP was defaulting to com1 port, and my old laptop was com2.
I can now get it to reset the Jackpot amount and the %.
 Scratch Head Now if I can just figure out the crap I need to do to get the message files working.  It's me. I am slow learner quite often idea light bulb

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.