Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 09:56:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S2000 and Vision Games.
| | |-+  Anyone Replaced their T8's with LED Tubes?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anyone Replaced their T8's with LED Tubes?  (Read 17061 times)
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2013, 01:18:03 AM »

$20 per machine times 120 machines equals $2400.00 any way you look at it !!

I've about fugured out how to turn every backlit reel into a LED backlit for less than twenty dollars, but I think I'll just keep that one to myself for a while. Who knows maybe it won't work but I think it will.

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
Harvs
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 218

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2013, 01:41:02 AM »

I've about fugured out how to turn every backlit reel into a LED backlit for less than twenty dollars, but I think I'll just keep that one to myself for a while. Who knows maybe it won't work but I think it will.
Now that'd be a good tip Buzz.. I am in the ER because I followed your directions on where to stick my LED bulbs.. It cured the minor glare prob, but added some others..  (Aren't floros like $15 per machine, Buzz?)

DoubleZero
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 13

WTB: Mummy short reel glass.

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2013, 01:54:55 AM »

Cool pics, guys!
CommTech
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 251

Joe

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2013, 03:34:17 AM »

Well, first let me explain a bit about LED's..  First it is VERY important to know that NOT ALL LED's are created equal, there are TONS of different typed of LED's alone, then you have the manufacturing of the completed LED bulb itself and the quality or lack there of in some cases!

There is usually a reason why eBay LED's are cheap...  A quality built LED bulb should out last any and every one of us!

Which brings me to the next point, you can build the same "bulb" 10 different ways with several different actual LED's and get completely different results!

LED's can be 100's of times more intense than an incandescent bulb, or not!  They have wLED's which are wide angel LED's and spread the beam further apart.  There are just 100's or 1000's of variables!

A quality LED bulb manufactured correctly and set up in an appropriate array will not only offer way better performance, it will offer much reduced power consumption and a much cleaner light output with much more intense light.

LED's may not be great for ALL applications right now, however they are and will soon take over EVERY form of modern lighting!

The biggest thing with LED lights is quality of manufacturing and correct setup/array for a particular application!

As for spraying on or covering the bulb lens this would just diffuse the light better, still maintaining the brilliant intense LED light, just diffuse it so its not so much of a "spot beam" but more of just ambient light!

-TheChad

Very well said!  I Agree

I have Three LED replacements inside my S2000 and they are Bright and look awesome!

These are the one's that I am using from AG&E ... Part Number: 007A0375-001

www.agegaming.com/products/products.asp?CategoryId=1359&ItemId=102041

CVslots

Total Karma Storms: 432

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2013, 03:49:53 AM »

I'm just a little slow so am I to understand that some of you are changing to 12 volt LEDs and others are using 24 volt LEDS, but the LEDs are not doing what we like so now the LED must either be painted or covered with a film? So why is the LED so much better ??

Tell you a story about LEDs, one day not to long ago I got a wild hair and decided to replace all the bulbs in the gauges in my Peterbilt. I have a total of nineteen gauges I installed a White LED in every gauge and I will say at night it does look pretty good but have just a couple of problems with them. One problem was the LED in the speedometer would only work sometimes, using a small flashlite I was OK there. The other problem,  in five of the gauges I can't see the hand in the gauge because of the piss poor lighting from a LED light bulb. Not a big deal except one of those gauges I can't see the hand is the engine oil pressure gauge. Oh  have a low oil pressure light and a buzzer that sounds off if the pressure drops and if all else the fails the computer will shut off the engine if you don't, of course it shuts off the engine in a place where you don't want to be. It's a real pain in the ass to have a cup of coffee in one hand a flashlite in the other hand trying to shift a 18 speed transmission and not run off the road.

As you can see I just love LEDs oh they look good in a button or factory backlit reels, other than that you can take your LEDs and stick they where the Sun doesn't shine.

Well, first let me explain a bit about LED's..  First it is VERY important to know that NOT ALL LED's are created equal, there are TONS of different typed of LED's alone, then you have the manufacturing of the completed LED bulb itself and the quality or lack there of in some cases!

There is usually a reason why eBay LED's are cheap...  A quality built LED bulb should out last any and every one of us!

Which brings me to the next point, you can build the same "bulb" 10 different ways with several different actual LED's and get completely different results!

LED's can be 100's of times more intense than an incandescent bulb, or not!  They have wLED's which are wide angel LED's and spread the beam further apart.  There are just 100's or 1000's of variables!

A quality LED bulb manufactured correctly and set up in an appropriate array will not only offer way better performance, it will offer much reduced power consumption and a much cleaner light output with much more intense light.

LED's may not be great for ALL applications right now, however they are and will soon take over EVERY form of modern lighting!

The biggest thing with LED lights is quality of manufacturing and correct setup/array for a particular application!

As for spraying on or covering the bulb lens this would just diffuse the light better, still maintaining the brilliant intense LED light, just diffuse it so its not so much of a "spot beam" but more of just ambient light!

-TheChad

Wow Chad! How'd you learn so much about LEDs in just a week?!?!! Wasn't it just last week you were asking which bulbs you needed for replacements in your display and (potentially) reels? You have been doing some homework!

TheChad

Total Karma Storms: 5

« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2013, 04:49:38 AM »

I'm just a little slow so am I to understand that some of you are changing to 12 volt LEDs and others are using 24 volt LEDS, but the LEDs are not doing what we like so now the LED must either be painted or covered with a film? So why is the LED so much better ??

Tell you a story about LEDs, one day not to long ago I got a wild hair and decided to replace all the bulbs in the gauges in my Peterbilt. I have a total of nineteen gauges I installed a White LED in every gauge and I will say at night it does look pretty good but have just a couple of problems with them. One problem was the LED in the speedometer would only work sometimes, using a small flashlite I was OK there. The other problem,  in five of the gauges I can't see the hand in the gauge because of the piss poor lighting from a LED light bulb. Not a big deal except one of those gauges I can't see the hand is the engine oil pressure gauge. Oh  have a low oil pressure light and a buzzer that sounds off if the pressure drops and if all else the fails the computer will shut off the engine if you don't, of course it shuts off the engine in a place where you don't want to be. It's a real pain in the ass to have a cup of coffee in one hand a flashlite in the other hand trying to shift a 18 speed transmission and not run off the road.

As you can see I just love LEDs oh they look good in a button or factory backlit reels, other than that you can take your LEDs and stick they where the Sun doesn't shine.

-TheChad

Wow Chad! How'd you learn so much about LEDs in just a week?!?!! Wasn't it just last week you were asking which bulbs you needed for replacements in your display and (potentially) reels? You have been doing some homework!

Roslyn, I've know a lot about electronics/LED's, Not soo much about Slot Machines..

But I learn very quickly!  I am 100% positive that LED's improve the look of the machines!   It's like night and day!

The expensive part is finding the right LED's for the right application in the machine..  LED's obviously aren't cheap, they are worth the money in the long run in both energy savings and overall cost, their lifespan will out weigh their cost fairly quickly, all that said, it's gets VERY expensive experimenting to find the correct bulb for the application.  Trying many different ones to find the correct one will get very expensive very quickly!   That is why I have been asking other's opinions to hopefully at least narrow down all the available options!

I am convinced changing the Reel backlit bulbs out to LED's is not a problem.  The ONLY problem is that the LED's stay on all the time, so if one could figure out how to get them to turn off when not backlighting the reel, it would be an upgrade I'm pretty sure most here would do..

Anyway, I definitely want to change out my fluorescents to LED tubes, I just need to find the right ones..  Then I need to find the right bulbs for my button lamps, I found some that work great, but they are too big to fit in the buttons (They have to be installed from the top of the button, obviously not ideal).  Now I just have to try and find one that is 360 degree output but smaller profile..

-TheChad
TheChad

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2013, 04:58:36 AM »

I have a feeling if you have 120 machines $2400 is only a drop in the pond to the cost of the machines!!   Not to mention the amound of energy savings you would get from 120 machines, they would pay for them self's in no time!

If you figured out a way, why not share it? Isn't what what this forum is all about!?

Not sure how you would do it for under $20, the LED's would cost more than that, typically $2-4 per bulb, 18 bulbs..  I'm not doubting you, curious if you will!   You are seemingly very very knowledgeable of these machines!

-TheChad
CVslots

Total Karma Storms: 432

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2013, 06:03:17 AM »

I have a feeling if you have 120 machines $2400 is only a drop in the pond to the cost of the machines!!   Not to mention the amound of energy savings you would get from 120 machines, they would pay for them self's in no time!

If you figured out a way, why not share it? Isn't what what this forum is all about!?

Not sure how you would do it for under $20, the LED's would cost more than that, typically $2-4 per bulb, 18 bulbs..  I'm not doubting you, curious if you will!   You are seemingly very very knowledgeable of these machines!

-TheChad

You DO realize people/dealers/vendors do not keep ALL their inventory on 24/7, right? I dont know of ANYONE, with anywhere from 100 to 10,000 machines, that would have ALL of their inventory powered on at one time. I'm not really sure what your question is, or if there even is one??

Sure, LEDs might save some $$$ on the electric bill (assuming you keep the machine in quite a bit) and may look a little nicer to some people, but, certainly not a deal maker or breaker.

I was merely impressed at the knowledge you had gained in the last week or so, nothing more. Sorry if I ruffled a feather.  Scratch Head

edski

Total Karma Storms: 123

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2013, 06:40:30 AM »

Installation instructions from last year still apply.

http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=20721.0

Spoiled Rotten Birds
TheChad

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2013, 03:20:35 PM »

Roslyn,

No feathers ruffled!  That reply was to Buzz..

He was saying $20 times 120 machines..  In the scheme of things $20 for a machine is a drop in the lake..  That's all I was saying.. 

I know when I bought my machine, if a complete LED lighting upgrade was offered, I would have likely bought it!

-TheChad
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 03:27:22 PM by TheChad » Logged
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2013, 03:48:11 PM »

I have a feeling if you have 120 machines $2400 is only a drop in the pond to the cost of the machines!!   Not to mention the amound of energy savings you would get from 120 machines, they would pay for them self's in no time!

Not sure how you would do it for under $20, the LED's would cost more than that, typically $2-4 per bulb, 18 bulbs..  I'm not doubting you, curious if you will!   You are seemingly very very knowledgeable of these machines!

-TheChad

How do I start this, "sharing" that's a huge word, I don't think until now I've ever on this site been accused of not sharing knowledge, parts are what ever. OK now when a fellow does share the knowledge with another member that something will not work and that other member tells you to get fucked he knows better and hes going to do it his way, you get just a little pissed off. ( By the way the LED backlit reels still look like crap don't they ) I posted the spec sheet for the Lumens of a couple of light bulbs for you, your commet was " That can't be true " WTF, did I change the specs.  guess I'm wrong and your right, with your naked eye you know more about the Lumens of a light bulb than the people that made the bulb.

Now you say I need (18) BULBS @ 2/4  dollars each for LED backlit. So I'll tell you what I'll do, if you can find just one bulb in a IGT factory LED backlit reel I'll kiss your ass.

Now the picture the LEDs have only 9 volts going to them not 14 and the strip is 16 feet long cost $14.50 with shipping from China !!!!!!!!!!!

* PICT0027.JPG (773.79 KB, 1536x2048 - viewed 197 times.)

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
TheChad

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2013, 11:50:59 AM »

How do I start this, "sharing" that's a huge word, I don't think until now I've ever on this site been accused of not sharing knowledge, parts are what ever.

I did not mean to "accuse" you of any such thing..  That was your words to be exact..

OK now when a fellow does share the knowledge with another member that something will not work and that other member tells you to get fucked he knows better and hes going to do it his way, you get just a little pissed off. ( By the way the LED backlit reels still look like crap don't they) I posted the spec sheet for the Lumens of a couple of light bulbs for you, your commet was " That can't be true " WTF, did I change the specs. guess I'm wrong and your right, with your naked eye you know more about the Lumens of a light bulb than the people that made the bulb.

Okay..  I didn't tell you to "go get fucked" and I wasn't questioning what you posted, in fact I saw the same specs you did before you posted them..   The XE359's have LESS lumens than the 194,  but does that make since to you?   A little unknown fact here is that another one of my hobbies I have been doing for many years is saltwater reef keeping, which as you may or may not know requires very specialized lighting, very specific light output at very specific spectrums, so I am VERY aware that just because a "spec" sheet says the lumens are less, doesn't necessarily mean that's what the human eye see's.. A great example of this is in fact LED's...  When LED lighting came to the aquarium industry it looks AMAZING, but other than "looks" it was unable to grow corals, LED light scatters VERY quickly and in an aquarium environment you have to have VERY intense LED's that are focused in order to penetrate the water column.   That is ontop of having the correct lumens and spectrum!

An LED can easily have a lower Lumen yet appear brighter to the human eye, there are also different ways to measure lumen's.   Which all goes back to what I said about different types, quality, etc of LED's.

Now you say I need (18) BULBS @ 2/4  dollars each for LED backlit. So I'll tell you what I'll do, if you can find just one bulb in a IGT factory LED backlit reel I'll kiss your ass.

Now the picture the LEDs have only 9 volts going to them not 14 and the strip is 16 feet long cost $14.50 with shipping from China !!!!!!!!!!!

Why would I want you to kiss my ass?   There's no competition here!    I am aware that the IGT Factory LED backlit reel's don't have "bulbs" they are surface mounded wLED (wide angle LED's)..

But that has nothing to do with your post:

You weren't talking about IGT Factory LED reel's, you were saying you could turn every backlit reel into an LED backlit..   Great!  That's what many of us would love to do!

Buzz I didn't mean to offend you in any way, My apologies if that is how you took anything I said..

Just as many here I want to customize my machine to make it a beautiful center piece in my home, I don't keep my machine in the garage, it's in my dining room!

RE: Your picture..    I don't know how you would get that to work for reel backlit lights, but I'm interested to see what you come up with!

-TheChad  
tkrozleski
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 23

« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2013, 10:50:30 PM »

Excuse me if this has already been discussed, but the T8 fluorescent tubes replaced with "D" Daylight instead of "CW" Cool White type are very similar to LED light.
TheChad

« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2013, 11:06:42 PM »

Excuse me if this has already been discussed, but the T8 fluorescent tubes replaced with "D" Daylight instead of "CW" Cool White type are very similar to LED light.

I'm gonna try that, but I seriously doubt the intensity of the fluorescents can come anywhere near the LED's..

The fluorescents in my machine at least bairly backlight the glass, definitely don't illuminate the entire glass..  I have a Round Top which i'm sure doesn't help...   It really needs 2 bulbs behind the top glass.   Even the belly doesn't really illuminate well..

-TheChad
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

Total Karma Storms: 680

Happiness in life is a great dog

« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2013, 11:50:04 PM »

I use the led tubes and turn them toward the reel glass so o my reflected light shines on the reels themselves. It provides adequate light and has a subdued effect I really like plus there is no glare on the reels from the individual LEDs
DoubleZero

« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2013, 11:56:54 PM »

I use the led tubes and turn them toward the reel glass so o my reflected light shines on the reels themselves. It provides adequate light and has a subdued effect I really like plus there is no glare on the reels from the individual LEDs

Doesn't that mean the labels at the top of you reel glass aren't illuminated?
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2013, 12:46:20 AM »

That's most of what they are actually pointed at.
TheChad

« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2013, 01:15:10 AM »

Can you see the led spot beams behind the labels?

-TheChad
DoubleZero

« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2013, 02:11:08 AM »

Ah! Got it. Sounds like a good solution if you don't mind the reels being slightly dimmed.
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2013, 02:15:13 AM »

No, it spreads the light out really nice the way I have. Would post a pic but I'm at work all night
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.