Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 09:52:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  Bally Electromechanical
| | |-+  Bally 809 Hopper Overrun timer
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bally 809 Hopper Overrun timer  (Read 4895 times)
Youngjedi
Contributing NLG Member
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 45

« on: March 13, 2010, 12:53:16 PM »

Hello,

I have a Bally 809 and almost everything works with the machine.  Only the odd extras are still not functioning but none of those affect the play.  The one main thing I want to repair on the machine is the Hopper Overrun timer located in the bottom left back of the machine.   I can turn the timer by hand, and it runs back via a spring.   I put only a few coins in the hopper,  Played with a Big payout (Ball 5 coin) and let the hopper run an extra minute trying to pay out while empty.   Nothing happened with the timer.   I would like to fix it.  Can anyone help with my following questions?...

1).    How long does it take for the timer to start when no coins are being dispensed, or does it run always and every coin dispensed "resets" the timer?

2).     Does the circuit that operates the timer come from the Hopper?   In other words,   when the hopper is running,  does it close the circuit to the timer?

Lastly, and most importantly,  how exactly does the timer work?  There is a silver dial on it with numbers.  does this somehow allow me to "set" the timeout?   

What I have found...

The cutoff switch does work and cuts power to the machine...no problem.

Thanks for all your help in advance.
Op-Bell
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 326

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 06:05:59 PM »

There's an extra notched plastic disk on the ratchet side of the payout counter, and a microswitch that opens and closes with the notches. This resets the overrun timer on every third or fifth coin out.
Youngjedi
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 09:37:33 PM »

I found the switch...Awesome.  It was easy to find. Thanks!  However,  it appears to be working fine.  I don't think I am getting power to the overrun timer.   Is there an easy way to check this?   can I remove the timer and connect it to a battery to see if it works?   Thanks.
Op-Bell

Total Karma Storms: 326

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 12:21:06 AM »

The timer motor is 110V AC and is on the same circuit as the hopper motor. On older games that's all there is - the time is set to about 90 seconds and if the hopper runs that long, the timer cuts off all machine power. On later machines the time is reduced and there is an additional relay, probably a small plug-in type with a diode and a big capacitor in the coil circuit. In this case the timer and the relay are fed through the microswitch on the notched cam. Between the timer and the relay, the game cuts off if the hopper doesn't step every few seconds. If your game is wired for the relay and it's missing, the safety timer will never run. I think the relay is mounted on the hopper somewhere but it may be with the timer.

Youngjedi
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 08:25:49 AM »

With the Overrun timer,  I would like to test it out.  I am not even sure it's getting power.  If I were to take a small outlet tester and connect it to the leads for the timer, then got a payout,  would I see it light up?   I do not have a volt meter.  If I find that it is not getting power,  I can then check to see where the power comes from and see if that is the problem.  I checked all the fuses in the back of the machine and they are fine.  Thanks.
OldReno

Total Karma Storms: 175

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 08:29:20 PM »

With a flashlite and a small telescoping mrror, put up a pay, and while the hopper is running, carefully poke the mirror back there to see if the silver wheel is slowly turning.  Try this with no coins in the hopper, to give it some run time, or set up a large pay.
If you've got good ears, sometimes if you pull out the hopper during a pay, you can hear the wheel reset as the payout stops.
I've got crappy ears....
Oh, and be careful not to short anything out with that metal telescoping tube!!!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.