Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 24, 2024, 04:28:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  Bally Reel Games. (Moderator: a69mopar)
| | |-+  Bally 1000 locked up
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bally 1000 locked up  (Read 8781 times)
slotter
« on: September 20, 2010, 08:24:11 PM »

Hello everyone, I fixed up this Bally 1000 about 9 months ago(with a lot of help from Barry Fox).  The machine has been working good, but messed up on me about a month or so ago.  I fooled with it for a while and felt a reel switch may have gone bad(reels would not stop spinning) I ordered 2 switches from Barry.  When I finally got some time to install the switches, the machine worked again for several weeks until a few nights ago. 
  When I fire up the machine, I hear a lot of solenoids popping(seems kinda normal), but I notice the yellow win light flickers.  The white light on top does not come on with the door open, but does light when you push the attendant switch. 
  I tried to reset and perform a switch test with the test button, but it will not perform a test??  Here is the code that is on the display..Any ideas??

* errorcode.jpg (141.21 KB, 640x480 - viewed 236 times.)
FOXSSLOTS1
Resigned NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 323

Me at work

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 09:17:30 PM »

check your power suppy - reseat the connector -   if this is a 1000 - reseat the ram board (the smaller board with the battery) mounted on the mpu.
slotter
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 10:31:36 PM »

Barry, reset all the connections on the board and no change.  I checked all  fuses, and reset a bunch of other connections.  I must have touched something, because now I have a tilt code with this error code.  I think I'm close-any direction??

* tilt.jpg (157.11 KB, 640x480 - viewed 225 times.)
slotter
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 11:08:41 PM »

One other thing, the door light seems to work normally now.
FOXSSLOTS1
Resigned NLG Member

Me at work

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 12:31:29 AM »

your meter now reads 5000000 - check the ribbon cable between the mpu and the IO.
slotter
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 01:50:05 AM »

I disconnected the ribbon cable and inspected. Looks ok to me.  This thing is weird. At one point, it was giving me the 5000000 code then cycling to a different code, and back and forth. I will inspect further tomm. night. Thank you
slotter
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 09:38:35 AM »

This morning I fired up the machine.  The code 500000 is on, and the tilt light is lit.  With the door open after a minute or so, the win light will come on and the buzzer will buzz for about 4 seconds then go off??
FOXSSLOTS1
Resigned NLG Member

Me at work

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 01:13:05 PM »

again - the 500000 is usually a symptom of a bad connection between the IO and mpu board - check and make sure none of the 16 pins are broken.
slotter
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 03:45:14 PM »

Ok, I will check the connections again. I got some contact cleaner from radio shack today. If the connections look ok, I will ohm out the ribbon cable-maybe there is a crack in a wire or something.
slotter
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 02:28:42 AM »

So I inspected and cleaned the ribbon cable, and had the same issues.  I took the power control board out and inspected the connector. There was a loose wire so I fixed it, but still same issues.  I unplugged the large connector from the board and cleaned the contacts.  Now when I turn on the machine, the 5 amp fuse(upper left on the panel blows?) I have to be getting close to something??
slotter
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 05:33:17 PM »

Hey Barry, So I removed the power supply board and inspected the bridge rectifier.  It was slightly melted on the side.  I checked it with a multi meter according to instructions I found on the net.  It deff. has a shorted diode.  Im hoping this is what was causing the fuse to blow. My local electronic store had the part.  
 The other 4 diodes on the board look ok, but my question is can I check them without removing them from the board??  I have extra diodes, would you recommend I just replace them? I also picked up a voltage regulator, would it be advisable to replace it while I got this thing apart?
I have been having intermittent problems with this machine for quite some time.  I'm hoping the issues may be cured with a solid power supply??
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 05:42:01 PM by slotter » Logged
FOXSSLOTS1
Resigned NLG Member

Me at work

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 05:41:55 PM »

Diodes - continuity check if shorted then replace.
slotter
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 05:43:55 PM »

Ok, looks like I got a lot of diodes to replace tonight Duh!
slotter
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 05:50:03 PM »

One last question(you know thats a lie) Is there anything I should look for that may have shorted causing the damage to the power supply board?
FOXSSLOTS1
Resigned NLG Member

Me at work

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 07:17:20 PM »

old age - if you find the answer to that one - I will go partners with you.
slotter
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2010, 08:28:59 PM »

old age - if you find the answer to that one - I will go partners with you.

Having said that LOL, I decided to replace pretty much everything on that board that I can get my hands on.  I can't believe my local electronics store, www.baynesvilleelectronics.com has all this stuff in stock??  I'm by no means an electronics guy, but that place is awesome!
CaptainHappy
NLG Site Administrator
NLG Site Administrator

Total Karma Storms: 622

I haven't met a Jackpot that I didn't like!!!

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2010, 08:41:34 PM »

Hey guys,

I just wanted to give a little K+ here Clap Clap Clap

Slotter for sticking with it, and continuing to get it closer!

Barry for being so helpful!

CaptainHappy CaptainHappy
 nlg ADMIN

Come sail away, Come sail away Come sail away with me..
slotter
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2010, 10:29:48 PM »

Ok, so over the weekend I pretty much rebuilt the whole power supply board.  The bridge rectifier was not bad(I tested wrong), but replaced it, the other 4 diodes, voltage regulator and small cap.  I tested the voltages at the test ports and they all seem very good. TP1=4.96v, TP2=7.2, and TP4=9.96v. 
  When I turn on the machine, the bell rings a couple times, and the tilt light is on and the other lights are blinking. I am still getting that 500000 code, so I took out the ribbon between the 2 boards and ohmed  all the wires, and could not find any opens.  I also cleaned the connectors and pretty much every molex and other connector in the machine.
 I did notice tonight, that the small lights in the reel mechanism are not lit up.  I thought I remembered they were always on when the machine is on??
FOXSSLOTS1
Resigned NLG Member

Me at work

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2010, 06:54:09 AM »

reverse one end of the ribbon cable going from the io to the mpu - 500000 is usually a bad ribbon cable - or the cable is incorrectly installed  can also be an board problem but the chattering and bell ringing indicates the ribbon cable.
slotter
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2010, 01:21:56 AM »

Still scratching my head....I made a new ribbon cable today.  I carefully removed the end connectors and was able to snap it back together on a new ribbon.  I checked each prong with my ohm meter for continuity and found them to all be good.  I then reinstalled and same thing happening.  I tried reversing one of the cables, and the machine went nuts when I turned it on.  Bell ringing, lights flashing etc.
 If I disconnect the front 12 prong connector from the reel assembly, the machine for some reason will fire up normally.  A 50 .0.00 code is displayed.  The lights will operate normally, 1-5 quarters, bell rings properly with each quarter etc.  Of course the handle won't pull. As soon as I plug that connector back in, the 500000 code is displayed and the feature lights and tilt light will flash.  I also notice that the reel reader lights(or led's-not sure what they are) are not illuminated.  I always remember them being on all the time??
FOXSSLOTS1
Resigned NLG Member

Me at work

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2010, 07:49:34 AM »

either the IO or MPU board has a problem.  the 500000 indiicates that the 2 boards are not connecting - the ribbon cable is USUALLY the culprit - so it has to be in one of the 2 boards - may be as simple as the J connector or ?
slotter
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2010, 02:02:57 PM »

Barry, I just purchased a new ribbon cable from your store.  Maybe a prong is not making a good connection in the socket?  I also ordered a few triacs for the IO board.  It looks like the #32 triac may be bad.  Can you refresh my memory on how to test?  I think I had the positive lead in the middle and one of the outside prongs showed open.  I did the same test on a few of the other triacs and they tested different.  I also noticed the solder looked a little bubbled on #32.  I remember testing the triacs on the hopper board at one point, but forgot the correct way to test.  If the #32 is bad, could that be a possible cause to my issue?
FOXSSLOTS1
Resigned NLG Member

Me at work

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2010, 02:43:16 PM »

tab is ground - ground to cabinet will actuate the device.  the Q32 - I believe is the reel lites but I would have to check
slotter
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2010, 02:59:05 PM »

Any one of the 3 tabs to ground?
slotter
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2010, 04:10:34 PM »

Oh, never mind. Metal case on triac body is tab.  Was not familiar with terminology.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.