Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:37:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Game Emulators
| |-+  MAME Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator (Moderator: channelmaniac)
| | |-+  Bill validator for coin door
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bill validator for coin door  (Read 19547 times)
poppo
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 248

« on: November 11, 2010, 03:56:23 PM »

Another thread got me thinking about adding a BV to my cocktail MAME setup. While I could make a hole in the cabinet, does anyone know of one that will work with this type of door? I don't think a stacker will fit, but any suggestions would be appreciated. And of course it needs to be simple (i.e. just pulse x number of times depending on the bill inserted.

stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 06:09:07 PM »

What's the BACK of the door look like?  Scratch Head
I think I see bolts heads welded to the door.  Sherlock Smiley.
Click to enlarge...or just open the door and take a picture...lol >>>

* mamedoor.jpg (54.62 KB, 600x400 - viewed 338 times.)
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 06:44:28 PM »

Check out this auction on eBay.

It's not my auction and I have no idea how you'd interface it into MAME, but it looks like it fits your exact coin door.

* billval.PNG (350.36 KB, 558x426 - viewed 330 times.)

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
poppo

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 06:47:25 PM »

What's the BACK of the door look like?  Scratch Head
I think I see bolts heads welded to the door.  Sherlock Smiley.

There are two removable panels on the back. Ignore the mass of black tape on the coin chute I'm in the process of modifying something.  stir the pot / get cooking

poppo

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 06:55:31 PM »

Check out this auction on eBay[/url].

It's not my auction and I have no idea how you'd interface it into MAME, but it looks like it fits your exact coin door.

I had already looked at that one and it is on my watch list. I'm trying to find more info how how to set it up.The action does say it bolts in, but is not a perfect fit.
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 07:37:38 PM »

If you get serious about buying the one on fleaSpray, ask him what bills it takes. It's possible that it will only take ones and old fives, which means that if you don't have old fives handy, you'll be restricted to singles.

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
poppo

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 07:57:20 PM »

If you get serious about buying the one on fleaSpray, ask him what bills it takes.

I don't care if it only takes ones. The problem is I can not find a wiring diagram or complete dip switch settings for it. And while the price is not bad, $16 for shipping is a bit much. Oh well, I'll just keep looking.
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 09:27:27 PM »

Another to watch out for...I've been through this before...lol
is to make sure the bill entry is at the correct height.
Sometimes the slot is low while other times the slot is placed high up on the face...
You might be lucky though...the slot hole on the door face under the cover looks to be quite large.
knagl

Kevin

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 10:24:16 PM »

If you get serious about buying the one on fleaSpray, ask him what bills it takes. It's possible that it will only take ones and old fives, which means that if you don't have old fives handy, you'll be restricted to singles.

I'm actually looking at picking up a couple of them for my pinball machines.  He says in the ad that they're circa 1994, so you're likely correct -- singles and old fives only.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
StatFreak

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 03:11:45 AM »

I'm actually looking at picking up a couple of them for my pinball machines.  He says in the ad that they're circa 1994, so you're likely correct -- singles and old fives only.

He says he'll take inquiries to try to determine if the unit will work in a potential buyer's pin. Send him an email and see what he says, both about the bill acceptance and your machines.  Sherlock Smiley

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
poppo

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 03:17:45 AM »

He says he'll take inquiries to try to determine if the unit will work in a potential buyer's pin. Send him an email and see what he says, both about the bill acceptance and your machines.  Sherlock Smiley

I did send him an e-mail. From the pins used (as seen in the picture), and maybe the model (NV110)  it appears to be a 115V AC unit. Not a problem, but it would be good to know. Also I can find nothing about how to set the dip switches for pulses per dollar. But since there are 3 dip switches for that, it should be easy enough to trial and error it. This is the only info I could find on that model.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 03:27:11 AM by poppo » Logged
knagl

Kevin

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 05:03:16 AM »

I had already sent him a message, actually, at least about which pins it would work in.  Nice guy.  He said to look inside the coin door for a 9-pin harness on the left side -- if it's there, it should work.  If it's not, he said the machine is likely an import and wasn't designed to support a validator.  I checked the machine I have at home and it's ready for it -- I just have to check my other machine in storage to make sure it'll work on that, too.

I did not ask about which bills it would accept.  From a pin standpoint, I can't imagine anyone intending to put anything larger than a $5 in it, and seeing it's NOS from 1994, I doubt it would support ANY of the "large portrait" ("new style") $5 bills -- probably only the old old ones, since the first modern re-design of the $5 wasn't until 2000.

* old5bill.png (129.56 KB, 252x204 - viewed 1325 times.)

knagl

Kevin

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 05:13:57 AM »

The action does say it bolts in, but is not a perfect fit.

Based on the note on page 5 of the .pdf (attached), step 2, and the diagram found at the bottom of the same page, it looks like these things called for an "adapter plate" to make the fit in the coin door correct.

StatFreak

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2010, 06:18:13 AM »

My machine will not only take it, it actually has a sticker inside on the top plate with instructions for mounting it! The 9-pin connector inside my machine is a 3x3 square Molex. I also know for certain that my software has settings for both the right and left coin in chutes in addition to a bill validator.

It makes sense, since my Wms was made the same year this came out.

poppo

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2010, 11:13:28 AM »

My machine will not only take it, it actually has a sticker inside on the top plate with instructions for mounting it! The 9-pin connector inside my machine is a 3x3 square Molex. I also know for certain that my software has settings for both the right and left coin in chutes in addition to a bill validator.

It makes sense, since my Wms was made the same year this came out.

One problem is that (from what I have been reading) is the 9 pin connector is sort of a standard. But the BV could be 12v 24v or 114v.  I looked up the schematics for the games the seller said he tried it in and I could not find that 9 pin connector on any of them.

The closest thing I could find that looks like it matched the wiring on the posted picture is this, but with pins 1-3 not being used. Specifically note the green wire on pin 5 that would probably be the ground.

And since this is not going in a pinball, I need to know the pinouts. So if your game actually has this connector, do you have the schematics and can you confirm the pins (and mainly the voltage)?
poppo

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2010, 09:16:39 PM »

I got a reply from the seller confirming the above.

"These units operate on 110vac & there are 5 wires in the connector. 2 are ac, hot/neutral, 1 is ground, & the other two are switch pulse wires. Thanks again for your inquiry. Let me know if & how we can help more."

So for my use they would probably work. I may need to fabricate a bezel as noted in the ad, but that is not a big deal. The only other mystery is how those first 2 dips switches affect the number of pulses per dollar. All of the info I found seems to tell you to set it to one pulse and set the game to determine how many credits to give.
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2010, 10:45:00 PM »

It really should be set with the dips at being:
1 pulse =$1.00
5 pulses=$5.00
10 pulses=$10.00
etc.etc.
This way the bill acceptor can tell machine what bill it took.
The machine if set for a quarter (0.25 cents) denomination,  
will then ring up a $20 dollar bill very quickly,  for 80 credits.
poppo

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2010, 11:02:33 PM »

It really should be set with the dips at being:
1 pulse =$1.00
5 pulses=$5.00
10 pulses=$10.00
etc.etc.
This way the bill acceptor can tell machine what bill it took.
The machine if set for a quarter (0.25 cents) denomination, 
will then ring up a $20 dollar bill very quickly,  for 80 credits.

The problem with something like MAME is that the BV needs to determine the number of pulse per dollar, not the machine.
The machine is just monitoring the coin slot switch (which the BV would be in parallel with).
I'm hoping it's actually set up like the BL-700 which has similar switches 1-4

Guess I'll find out since I went ahead and bought one..
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2010, 11:06:56 PM »

I'd go with 4 pulses per dollar then,
fast output pulsing, and security inhibit to "OFF"
poppo

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2010, 11:12:02 PM »

I'd go with 4 pulses per dollar then,
fast output pulsing, and security inhibit to "OFF"

Yes. Assuming that is how the switches work. As I posted earlier, the only info I could find on the Tekbilt dip switches was this

I'm not even sure it takes anything other than singles (which is fine for my application).

stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2010, 11:21:30 PM »

Most of those type of bill acceptors were for arcades and laundromats.
They didn't take anything higher than a $20 dollar bill usually.
poppo

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2010, 11:36:30 PM »

Most of those type of bill acceptors were for arcades and laundromats.
They didn't take anything higher than a $20 dollar bill usually.

The BL-700-USD2 (as an example) only takes ones and fives. The documentation posted earlier for installing the TekBilt has nothing about setting switches for any other value, (and only notes 4 switches). And since it even mentions testing it only with $1 bills,  I'm really thinking this one only takes singles. I'll post what I find out after I get it and mess with it. Also note at the top of the instructions it says 'dollar bill validator' where others say 'currency validator'.
knagl

Kevin

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2010, 10:25:33 PM »

I'm hoping it's actually set up like the BL-700 which has similar switches 1-4

You know, looking at what the first three switches do in that diagram, and how the Tekbilt documentation says to set it up for the pins, you may be on to something about changing the first three dips to OFF ON ON to get 4 pulses for a dollar.

I'll let you know once I get mine installed in my pin if it takes $5s, as I have a few old $5s laying around.

StatFreak

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2010, 11:07:33 PM »

I'll let you know once I get mine installed in my pin if it takes $5s, as I have a few old $5s laying around.

I'll take 'em! arrow  It's a shame to waste them.  frying pan  I'll even send you a self-addressed stamped envelope, or a box if you have that many. Crazy Cry Laughing Cry Laughing Cry Laughing

knagl

Kevin

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2010, 11:32:25 PM »

No problem, Uncle Soupy.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.