Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 02:30:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S2000 and Vision Games.
| | |-+  Crystal Sevens Glass Frost Complete (Photo and Video!)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Crystal Sevens Glass Frost Complete (Photo and Video!)  (Read 14691 times)
Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 233

« on: November 21, 2010, 11:09:11 PM »

So I'm close to pulling the trigger on a Crystal Sevens kit but...

What's the deal with the frost on the glass.  I know this crap flakes off easy and there probaby aren't many out there that don't have a few nicks of it missing from their games.  

What kind of paint is material is this and can it be bought or touched up?  Is there a better solution that us NLG'ers aren't aware of in terms of restoration?

What would look better?  Living with nicks, scrapes and dings?  Or would it be better to scrape/clean it all off of the glass?  This stuff will come off when soaked and wiped off with Windex.

Your .02 would be appreciated.

Jason

« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 10:39:43 PM by Yoeddy1 » Logged

Yoeddy's IGT Slot Machine Videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/Yoeddy1
slot monkey
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 402

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 11:41:03 PM »

Hey Jason

What's the deal with the frost on the glass.  I know this crap flakes off easy and there probaby aren't many out there that don't have a few nicks of it missing from their games. 

Regarding the frosting, I think it would be really rare to find one in perfect condition.

What kind of paint is material is this and can it be bought or touched up?  Is there a better solution that us NLG'ers aren't aware of in terms of restoration?

I don't know what kind of material it is but it would be hard to find a coating that would stick to the smooth surface of glass. It's possible but it would have to etch into the glass, which isn't the case here. I would assume due to budget and extra production steps, prohibited IGT from going the chemical etch method.

I think I may have come up with a solution that I am going to use on my crystal fives glass.

I am going to clean all the frosting from the glass and use a frosted tape on the back side of the glass.

I think it looks better to have the clear portions of the glass to be covered over with the frosted tape than being able to see through the glass into the inside of the slot cabinet.

For me the partial frosting was not an option.

After testing the tape on a small portion of the glass for about six months now, in the top box, the tape doesn't seem to degrade the decal portion of the glass, it also removes easily and can be reapplied.

I will apply it to my glass in the next few days and I will post some pics.

Just my 2 cents.

slot monkey
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 01:36:14 AM »

What about a can of Christmas snow?

* xmas snow in a can.png (91.58 KB, 160x337 - viewed 629 times.)
tacman
NLG Document, Media Gallery and FAQ Writer

Total Karma Storms: 446

Genius in training.

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 02:48:53 AM »

I think this was touched on a couple of years ago and I remember saying that there is a frosted spray available in white and some colors at Hobby Lobby and the like. I was going to spray the inside of my Triple Double Stars but have not done it yet. That may be the best option, although I do like the frosted tape idea but I do not know what width it is available in.

Dan (tacman)

Quick check on the net shows the big guns have the spray available (see pics).

* Frost.jpg (10.23 KB, 300x300 - viewed 618 times.)

* Frost2.jpg (9.94 KB, 300x300 - viewed 595 times.)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 03:07:13 AM by tacman » Logged

Bettor Slots
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 751

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 03:09:14 AM »

Another option that I like is to use an opalescent opaque film.  Apply it to the back of the glass and scrape off the junk on the front.  I think the results are very good especially when back-lit.

* IMG_2058.JPG (1252.12 KB, 2592x1944 - viewed 290 times.)

* IMG_2018.JPG (2293.39 KB, 2592x1944 - viewed 295 times.)

If life is like a box of chocolates....why do I always seem to end up with the butter creme?
slot monkey
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 402

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 03:21:48 AM »

Good idea Jim, looks really nice, looks like it's factory new.

tacman, if you use the film like bettor slots or tape like i'm gonna use, both are reverseable.

I would think the sprays would be more permanent, possibly damaging the artwork on the back of the glass.

Just my opinion

I will check the width of my tape, it's either 18 or 24 inches.
Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 03:30:28 AM »

Jim, where can the tape that you speak of be found?

Bettor Slots
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 04:05:03 AM »

Actually I think the product that Tacman has up there will likely give you better results and more like the original....but it's going to be very time consuming to mask everything off and I might be a little concerned about how to control the spray so that it is evenly distributed.

Here's a pic of the product I use...just do a Google and I'm sure you can find some places online to pick it up from.

* FILM0001.jpg (573.89 KB, 848x1199 - viewed 306 times.)

If life is like a box of chocolates....why do I always seem to end up with the butter creme?
Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 04:36:13 AM »

Boy a package of that costs more than the C7 glass kit.  Whew!

Bettor Slots
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 01:35:25 PM »

Ummm....if your buying an entire C7 glass kit for only $15....I'm buying....who's the supplier?

http://www.learningsea.info/product/Chartpak-Drafting-and-Design-Applique-Film-box-of-10-DAFPB8L-10-printer-matte-top-sheet-permanent-adhesive-paper-backing-sheet.html

Magicslots
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 62

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 03:36:52 PM »

Hijack  Not to hijack the thread..but did you know that the frosting glows in the dark???

I just noticed that the other night... 3 Stooges

We now return you to your regular program...... Roll Eyes

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has no heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains."  (Sir Winston Churchill)
Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 04:11:43 PM »

Hijack  Not to hijack the thread..but did you know that the frosting glows in the dark???

I did notice that.  Pretty cool indeed.

CaptainHappy
NLG Site Administrator
NLG Site Administrator

Total Karma Storms: 622

I haven't met a Jackpot that I didn't like!!!

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 04:51:02 PM »

Don't worry we hijack all the time here! Hijack  Besides I was going do ask the same question!  Cry Laughing

CH CaptainHappy

Come sail away, Come sail away Come sail away with me..
Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2010, 09:03:52 PM »

I've got a kit coming!  Can't wait to get it.  I needed a project over the holidays since my in-laws will be at our house for a while...sigh.  I think I'm going to go Jim's route instead of the frost.

Haha, Jim, I Googled the product you had mentioned above and only came up with packages well over 100 bucks.  Thanks for setting me straight with the smaller package...MUCH better price wise.  One question though, did you just apply and cover the entire back of the glass with the material?  Or did you just cut out and apply smaller pieces to the areas where the frost used to be?

The only piece that I am lacking is the reel glass.  I'll just use the black reel glass that I'm using with my Double Diamond Deluxe for now.  Reason?  I need a C7 reel glass in a LONG version.  If anybody has a lead on one, please let me know.  I'll probably also need another cover plate that goes under top glass next to the printer.  Why?  So I can paint one bright white to match the glass of course.  Wink

Thanks all!

Jason

OhioGaming
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 297

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2010, 09:04:19 PM »

I use Valspar Frosting - Interior spray. I don't remember the cost but $7 to $8 a can at Lowes.

Clean the back side with Goof Off. Used a good window cleaner to remove any Goof Off residue. Allow to dry.

You do not have to mask off. Just lightly spray the area that needs to be covered. Any over spray will not be seen from the from the outside once installed.

After drying spray a second light coat. Allow to dry and install.
Bettor Slots
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2010, 01:23:51 AM »

Haha, Jim, I Googled the product you had mentioned above and only came up with packages well over 100 bucks.  Thanks for setting me straight with the smaller package...MUCH better price wise.  One question though, did you just apply and cover the entire back of the glass with the material?  Or did you just cut out and apply smaller pieces to the areas where the frost used to be?

I just cut out a piece slightly larger than the area I want to cover then apply it to the black of the glass.  Then use a sharp X-acto and cut out the outline either with a straight edge or freehand depending.  Cut with enough force to get through the film but try not to cut through the original film on the glass.  I use a light table but it's not necessary...just take your time with it.

Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2010, 07:42:02 AM »

The C7 long reel glass does indeed exist.  Although this appears to be a Triple C7, but I would imagine it's the same.  Anybody ever see these show up on the grid?

Thanks,
Jason

* item_548_full_image.jpg (50.86 KB, 405x541 - viewed 333 times.)

Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2010, 11:14:06 PM »

Just got my Crystal Sevens kit from Samron today.   It's perfect condition wise!  I scraped off all of the frosting today and will be working on a 'fill' solution.  Photos and video coming soon.  What a sweet game, and to be honest, it doesn't look all that bad with the black reel glass.

Thanks,
Jason

Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2010, 07:28:09 PM »

Ok gang, just finished the Crystal Sevens project...unless of course I can get a LONG reel glass too, then it will be officially complete.  But in terms of the top and belly glass restoration, it's done and it came out better than the original.

Step one:  I ran each piece of glass (front side) under scalding hot water to loosen up the old frost and used a toothbrush to get all of it off.  It softens up and comes off easily doing it this way as opposed to scraping dry with a blade.

Step two:  Cleaned each side with Windex ensuring that all foreign material and debris was cleaned off of the glass.

Step three:  I bought Valspar Interior Glass Frosting (optimal for glass and plastic).  Picked up a can at my local Lowe's for $5.50.

Step four:  Lay each piece of glass on a flat surface face down and spray the entire back side of the glass left to right and right to left.  I also recommend spraying left to right from the top side and left to right from the bottom side of the glass to ensure even distribution.

Step five:  I used almost an entire can for the two pieces of glass.  About 4 heavy coats.

Step six:  Let it dry....it dries quick!  Bout an hour indoors should suffice.

Step seven:  Install and enjoy!  

I'll upload a night photo of the glass installed in the machine, but for now, here are a few photos for you!   applause

Front side:

* IMG_0806.JPG (159.95 KB, 640x480 - viewed 326 times.)

* IMG_0807.JPG (119.4 KB, 640x480 - viewed 321 times.)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 08:54:51 PM by Yoeddy1 » Logged

Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2010, 07:28:40 PM »

Back side and now a few of the machine during the day:

* IMG_0805.JPG (100.22 KB, 640x480 - viewed 352 times.)

* IMG_0808.JPG (127.23 KB, 640x480 - viewed 308 times.)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 07:47:54 PM by Yoeddy1 » Logged

Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2010, 07:48:43 PM »

More photos of glass installed:

* IMG_0809.JPG (110.63 KB, 640x480 - viewed 317 times.)

* IMG_0810.JPG (124.55 KB, 640x480 - viewed 375 times.)

tacman
NLG Document, Media Gallery and FAQ Writer

Total Karma Storms: 446

Genius in training.

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2010, 08:50:15 PM »

Yoeddy1, nice job!! K+

Dan (tacman)

knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2010, 09:32:59 PM »

I would have never thought of frosting the inside of the glass until I read the suggestions here.  Thanks and K+ to everyone in the thread for the idea.  I have a couple of pieces where the frosting is a goner -- this is a good solution.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2010, 09:51:04 PM »

That is excellent!  yes applause Clap
Great job with it Yoeddy!
This oughta be a sticky for frosting...lol
Forrhouse
Manufacturing Equipment & Parts to Keep Slots that are No Longer Supported by the Manufacturer running.
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 252

Life is too short, live, love and have a good time

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2010, 11:18:34 PM »

Very creative. Nice Job! Thanks for Sharing.
E~
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.