Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 08:31:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Bill Validators and Currency acceptors
| |-+  Pyramid Technologies Bill Validators.
| | |-+  All about the Apex 5400
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: All about the Apex 5400  (Read 23337 times)
poppo
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 248

« on: December 09, 2010, 04:29:05 PM »

This thread is intended to consolidate all of the information about the Apex 5400 series BV into one place. It may not be a commonly used BV, but someone may find this info useful.

The 5400 comes is various configurations, specifically 110vac, 24vac and 12vdc. It comes with and without stackers. I will be talking about the 12v model (no stacker) at that is the one I have. The unit accepts $1-$100 bills, and one direction or all four directions (user programmable).

What makes the 5400 nice and somewhat unique is that it does not use DIP switches to set up. It used two methods. The first is the easiest, as it uses bill sized configuration sheets that you just 'fill in the blanks' and insert into the unit (after pressing the program button). These can be printed from the usre manual. The BV will read the sheet and you are done. It should be noted that you can select any combination of bills to accept (i.e. only $1 & $20).

The alternate method is to use a PC or a Palm unit. Either can be connected using an RS232 port on the PC or using the Palm sync cable (RS232 version). However, it is not that simple. The 5400 uses the MDB port to communicate. This is not a true RS232 port. So in order to get this to work, you need some special cables. For a PC, you need a null modem cable (easy enough), and the Palm can use it's own cable since its already in the null configuration. But what you also need is a RS232 to MDB conversion cable. Again, this is not just a wire to wire setup. It requires some electronics to make everything compatible. A picture of this special cable is below.

In order to update the firmware, you would need one of the two RS232 options listed above. What is also nice about the Apex units is that firmware updates are free and available on their web site. The PC and Palm software is also free and is on their web site.

The unit I got for my MAME project was already flashed for the new $5 bills. I ended up using a different BV because this one did not fit the opening of my particular door. But before selling it (as I plan to), I decided to play around with it. Specifically getting the PC/Palm to talk to it. It took me while to locate one of the RS232-MDB cables, but once I got that, I was immediately able to connect to it with my Palm and PC. I will post those screen shots later.

The most common use of the BV would be for a MAME or pinball, etc.. For this use, only 3 wires are needed. Gnd, +12v and pulse out. The harness has an 18 pin/wire connector, but those are the only 3 wires you most likely would need. The manual explains all of the pinouts.

So for now, here is the link for downloading software or manuals. http://www.pyramidacceptors.com/downloads.html

A picture of the 5400

A picture of the programming sheet

The MDB port and next to it is the programming button

The special RS232 to MDB cable

Screenshot of the PC based software reading the current configuration

Screenshot of the Palm based software reading the current configuration

« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 05:02:09 PM by poppo » Logged
Slot Docs
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 118

Slot Docs (Buddy) (940) 389-4212 Cell

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 02:47:33 PM »

A little additional information and a correction is in Order here........first of all the 5400 only accepts $1 through $20 bills but with latest firmware it will accept all newer $1 through $20 bills. Second of all the paper programing card is not as easy to use as the pc or palm method......you have to make sure that all the circles are filled in within the lines, and once its programed that way it is hard to change the programing using that method a second time. The pc method allows you to change it at will. The correct cable is available through Betson and Happ controls and sells for about $80.00 and is an all in one cable that connects to either USB or Serial ports (specify which when ordering. This validater is also able to do Serial or Pulse configurations. If you need $100 bill capability then you need the 5600.....another note is that the firmware for each one is different.
poppo

Total Karma Storms: 248

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 05:02:48 PM »

I've long since gotten rid of the 5400. I never did try any larger bills, but just assumed it would take up to $100s because of the programming sheet. However, the bezel does say $1-$20, so it appears you are correct.  I did not have any trouble reprogramming it with the sheets, but I agree that using a PC is a whole lot easier. I think I paid $35 or so for the cable, but I got it on ebay as I recall.
Slot Docs

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 08:37:43 PM »

At $35.00 you got a good deal......I happen to deal with these all the time almost on a daily basis.....I figured the post was old but wanted to post to add information for all.........
InfoGuru
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 09:20:55 PM »

Pyramid now offers the second generation of the Apex line, Apex 7000.  This generation offers dip switches for easier configuration.  All interfaces and accessories are interchangeable between the 5000 and the 7000.  Another way to program is with the PRO1, their handheld programmer.  It holds 1 firmware type at a time but can be changed and used as many times as you want.  They also now offer a thermal printer!
channelmaniac
Surface mount soldering geek
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 568

Few things are better than fixing an old game...

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 09:42:02 PM »

Pyramid now offers the second generation of the Apex line, Apex 7000.  This generation offers dip switches for easier configuration.  All interfaces and accessories are interchangeable between the 5000 and the 7000.  Another way to program is with the PRO1, their handheld programmer.  It holds 1 firmware type at a time but can be changed and used as many times as you want.  They also now offer a thermal printer!

"They?", you mean you? Wink

Welcome, Pyramid Acceptors!

I have too many hobbies! Electronics, gunsmithing, Miatas, arcade games, metal detecting, etc...

http://www.arcadecomponents.com
jcbutcher
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 12:16:53 PM »

Hello All,

My name is Jon Butcher from Pyramid Technologies. If you would like any tech help or answers to questions please e-mail me
directly or our e-mail tech support or give us a call at 480-641-9733.

jon@pyramidacceptors.com

support@pyramidacceptors.com

Best Regards,
Jon Butcher
Customer - Technical Support
Slot Docs

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 02:09:55 PM »

Hi John
    Welcome to the forum........And thanks for the tech support number, now I wont have to look it up anymore........LOL not that I have needed very much in the past.....but now I have it in my Phone......

Slot Docs
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.