Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 06:16:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S and S-plus Reel Games. (Moderator: knagl)
| | |-+  S+ mpu no sound
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: S+ mpu no sound  (Read 3164 times)
Coinopcollector
Contributing NLG Member
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 25

« on: December 18, 2010, 10:27:00 PM »

Turns out i have a faulty mainboard, a search trough the forums learns that most of the times a swap is the most easiest way offcourse.

Is there anyone that can give me a idea what's the most common faulty part if there's no sound coming from the mpu, what parts turn to be faulty most of the time: the potmeter....

Any help is welcome, it saves time measuring out parts ofcourse,  i prefer to repair the mpu instead of trowing it away, the rest does work fine so in case i can't repair it it will be a testboard for other machines.
coorslight115
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 79

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 10:41:32 PM »

Turns out i have a faulty mainboard, a search trough the forums learns that most of the times a swap is the most easiest way offcourse.

Is there anyone that can give me a idea what's the most common faulty part if there's no sound coming from the mpu, what parts turn to be faulty most of the time: the potmeter....

Any help is welcome, it saves time measuring out parts ofcourse,  i prefer to repair the mpu instead of trowing it away, the rest does work fine so in case i can't repair it it will be a testboard for other machines.

have you swapped the MPU so as to narrow it down to the MPU and not any other componet?
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 11:02:58 PM »

Put a multi-meter on a couple of poles of the sound potentiometer blue knob and check the resistance.
If your resistance is solid and doesn't change on the multimeter- it's probably burned out.
I'd replace it with another one.

On one machine, I removed the potentiometer and soldered header there instead.
I then made a small harness with a couple of wires and ran it out to a unused door lock hole
and installed a small rotating switch.
Now I control the volume whenever I want from outside of the machine.
poppo
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 248

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 12:49:31 AM »

Some questions.

1. Did it ever work?
2. Are reel sounds turned on with the self test, or dip switches (depending on SP chip).
3 With the MPU in the machine, turn the blue pot all the way CCW and see what happens.
Coinopcollector
Contributing NLG Member
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 25

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 07:44:19 AM »

Hi,
yes i did check the dipswitches and i should have sound when reels turn and stop.
Look there's no sound at all, no coindrop nothing,i can turn the pot as much as i want nothing.
I swapped the board and everything OK, so there's why i don't have to search any further then the board itself.
When i swapped the board there's nothing more left then the speakers and wiring so they are fine.

Before i start a message on the board i want to be sure i did not skip any items from former messages posted on the board.
I only saw there's never being mentioned about how to repair the boards but hey offcourse the sponsors they have to live also i know.

Sorry for the sponsors but these day's where all so used in swapping items when they are broken, we end up learning nothing from the electronics anymore.
I prefer to have items fixed by a solderin gun if at least it is possible to do so, i know sometimes litlle components can't be soldered anymore and over here in Europe they started
using LEAD FREE solder now in newer boards like stern pinballs etc...that will be another thing when we have to repair boards.... Scratch Head

I will check the potmeter first, thanks.

knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 08:47:11 AM »

I will check the potmeter first, thanks.

For sure, that's where I'd start since you've narrowed it down to the MPU board (since swapping in a new one resolved the issue).  I've seen a ton of machines where the pots have gone bad resulting in bad audio or lack of adjustment.

Welcome to the site -- glad to have you here.  applause

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 03:57:39 PM »

If your potentiometer knob checks out okay, consider swapping the AYxxx sound eprom with a
known good one to see if you get better sound results.
Maybe it's corrupted?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.