Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:27:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S and S-plus Reel Games. (Moderator: knagl)
| | |-+  IGT S+ Problem
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: IGT S+ Problem  (Read 15051 times)
Mike Washington
« on: December 22, 2010, 11:40:47 PM »

Hello, I have gotten a lot of info on this site. Thanks

Now I have a problem I can't seem to fix.

I bought a machine had a 12 error, it is a Triple Diamond Deluxe IGT S+.  Person I bought it from had it in storage for 3 years.  I replaced the battery then using clear chips I got to a 61-1.  Reset would not work.  I place the MPU into a working machine and cleared the 61-1.  I then swapped that MPU into the original machine and the reels spun  and the insert coin light came on.  I tried to put a token in and it just went through into the coin tray.  I tried to go through the menus and get a 13-1 but could only get a 13-0, which I don't know what that means.

I am thinking optics.  Is there a sure fire check for optics? 
Or should I check the coin comparitor?

Thanks for reading my saga!

Mike Washington
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 12:07:45 AM »

[13-0] means "Off"
[13-1] means "On"

To toggle between them, press the "Spin" button.

surefire way to check?...yep....let us know what SP chip you're using...
Don't know how to check? See this>>>

http://www.newlifegames.net/spset/SPSS.htm
poppo
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 248

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 03:25:24 AM »

... I got to a 61-1.  Reset would not work.  

I then swapped that MPU into the original machine and the reels spun  and the insert coin light came on.

I am thinking optics.  Is there a sure fire check for optics?  

All the classic symptoms of door optics.
1. Reset not clearing 61-1 when door closed.
2. The reels will spin and insert coin light will come on even if door is open when powered up. So that is not an idication that the door optics are working.
3. It won't accept coins (if it thinks the door is still open)

So, a few questions.
Is the candle flashing?
Are you sure the door lever is all the way down?
Are all other doors closed?
Check the door optics for broken wires, especially right by the emitter/receiver.

You can do a search for door optics bypass, but if you have a working machine, you can try swapping them.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 12:16:46 PM by poppo » Logged
Mike Washington
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 11:56:22 AM »

Thanks for the replies.

I was at work last night and was not near the machine.

I powered her up this morning and got:

5 0731  and 6286

Thanks.

Mike Washington
poppo

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 12:10:43 PM »

SP731.  13-x is for hand payout on jackpot. The older SP chips used a different combination of buttons to change options. But in any case, I think your issue is with the door optics. Here is the PSR for the 731

* SP731.pdf (407.47 KB - downloaded 195 times.)
Mike Washington
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 12:20:17 PM »

All the classic symptoms of door optics.
1. Reset not clearing 61-1 when door closed.
2. The reels will spin and insert coin light will come on even if door is open (i.e. bad optics) when powered up.
3. Won't accept coins.

So, a few questions.
Is the candle flashing?
Are you sure the door lever is all the way down?
Check the door optics wires for broken wires, especially right by the emitter/receiver.

You can do a search for door optics bypass, but if you have a working machine, you can try swapping them.

The candle is flashing, Bottom light, slow blink.  Normal to my other machine.
The handle is definitely down, I have a lock on it which will not egage with the latch partially up.

I have tried using the digital camera test, but I cannot see a light source.  I tried this on my working machine also and saw no light.

Thanks

Mike Washington
poppo

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 12:27:08 PM »

Well, IMO the biggest clue was not able to clear the 61-1 with the reset since the door has to be closed. Usually that is a bad door optic. And of course it would also cause the coin drop through condition. I'm not 100% sure if any of the other door switches will cause the same symptoms (i.e. cash box door) since all of mine are bypassed.
Mike Washington
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 12:34:01 PM »

I searched for bypassing optics and could not find a post.

Is there a walk through.  It looks simple enough to do.  i would have to connect the door wires to the cabinet side to make the circut......I think?

What colors go to what colors?

I will buy new optics, but this is a present for christmas and would loooooove to have it working by then!

Thanks
Mike Washington

poppo

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 12:42:01 PM »

If you have another machine, you can try swapping them. But this post should give you the info you need to bypass them.

http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=4571.0
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 01:08:16 PM »

You will see light on the emitter optic bulb on the door when viewing through a video camera.
No light will be visible when looking at the cabinet-side receiver optic.

When you fully close the door and push the latch down,
does the "Coins Played" number go out briefly then come back on?
If so, the optics are fine.

You optics may not be lined up? There are two screws for this alignment.
OhioGaming
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 297

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 04:31:38 PM »

Well, IMO the biggest clue was not able to clear the 61-1 with the reset since the door has to be closed. Usually that is a bad door optic. And of course it would also cause the coin drop through condition. I'm not 100% sure if any of the other door switches will cause the same symptoms (i.e. cash box door) since all of mine are bypassed.

Stacker box door switch will cause the 61-1 not to clear if the switch is open.
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 04:50:35 PM »

Good thought by Ohio Gaming -- make sure that the cash can is all the way in and that the door for the can is completely closed (and remains closed).

I then swapped that MPU into the original machine and the reels spun  and the insert coin light came on.  I tried to put a token in and it just went through into the coin tray.

The Insert Coin light will only come on if the machine is ready to accept a coin.  The machine will only be ready to accept a coin if the optics are working and the machine sees the door as closed, so if the information I quoted is correct, your optics are working.  I stand corrected -- the Insert Coin light can be on even if the machine isn't ready to accept a coin.  Stupid.

Let's double check that they are (or aren't) by using the self test input test for the optics.

- Press the self test button 4 times (either 3 or 4 times, but I think 4 times for the 731).  You should see 10  1 in the Winner Paid display.
- Turn the jackpot reset key 3 times -- the display should change to 13  0.  Close the door.  The zero should alternate rapidly between 0 and 1 when the door is fully closed and latched, and should stop alternating when the door is open.

Is that happening?  If so, your optics are good.

The next step would be to adjust the sensitivity of the coin comparator.  Let us know if you need help with that.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 08:42:48 PM by knagl » Logged

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2010, 04:56:55 PM »

The token you're dropping, must match the sample token in the comparitor as well  - for acceptance.
Mike Washington
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 05:15:23 PM »

Thanks for the great help.

Just and update:   I turned the machine on Reels supn there maiden spin.  Insert coin light cam on no blink.  I pressed the small white button on the comparitor and it took credits, then pressed the spin reels button and they spun.  I am assuming it is then the door optics or the stacker door switch.  There is no lock on the stacker drawer, just a micro switch which I will test for continuity.
There is also no light illuminated on the coin comparitor.

I will now go test the optics using the self test, then I was going to bypass the door optics with jumper wire.......

Is that what I should be doing?

Thanks again for all this great help!

Mike Washington
Mike Washington
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2010, 05:20:08 PM »

Using the self test, the 13-0 does not alternate when the door is closed.

Is there a procedure for accurately lining up the optics?

Thanks
Mike Washington
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2010, 06:11:00 PM »

With no response from the [13-0], that means one of three things.
One or more of the optics are dead.
OR
There's a broken wire leading to the optics.
OR
They're not lined up and seeing eye-to-eye.

Check the wiring to the optics 1st.
Were you ever able to see light through a video camera on the door emitter?
If not...it's dead.

Anyways, to line up optics correctly requires you to remove the display panel,
the reel glass fluorescent and the reel glass itself.
Then slightly loosen two screws holding the door-side emitter optic.
Close the door fully with the latch ALL THE WAY DOWN.

Now, reach inside the reel glass area opening and line up the door emitter optic
with the cabinet receiver optic using your fingers.
Open the door and re-tighten the two screws on the door optic.

Now, turn on the machine and see if the "Coins Played" number goes
off briefly when you close the door fully.
When it comes back on, the "Insert Coin" light will also come back on as well and
a number will be displayed in the "Coins Played" display as well.
You should be good to go after you re-install the reel glass,
the fluorescent lights and the reel glass display panel.
Have fun!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/OIdPdiLXM_s&rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/OIdPdiLXM_s&rel=0</a>

« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 06:23:00 PM by stayouttadabunker » Logged
poppo

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2010, 06:55:04 PM »

The Insert Coin light will only come on if the machine is ready to accept a coin.  The machine will only be ready to accept a coin if the optics are working and the machine sees the door as closed, so if the information I quoted is correct, your optics are working.

Ok, I had to double check this. My insert coin light comes on whether the door is open or not (either from a cold power up or opening it after it has been on). However, if the door is open, the coin comparator light does not come on. This is on a S+. So everything described IMO mainly points to the door optics.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 07:00:43 PM by poppo » Logged
Mike Washington
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2010, 08:14:15 PM »

Okay.....New Update! 

I got the optics working, now the 13-0 flashes between 13-0 13-1.  The problem was misalignment.  Another problem I also discovered was a broken microswitch on the cash door.  Fiexd both of those problem and Wallaa!!!!!  Machine played fine.......

Now another problem....LOL

After playing for a good while, I went to have a drink.  I come back and try to insert coins, and they fall right through.  I have credits in the machine and they play fine.  Just won't take coins.  I open the door and shut it.  Machine resets and now takes coins again.  This problem continues, varing on how many spins I get before she won't take anymore coins.  Opening and closing the door always fixes that problem.  I inspected the comparitor....I really don't know what I am looking at so......It looks okay, no broken wires, parts or what looks like wear!

So, where do i go from here!

Again, I would not have gotten this far without all this great help!

Thanks
Mike Washington
cruisepl
PGFD (Ret.)
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 33

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2010, 08:34:52 PM »

Okay.....New Update! 

I got the optics working, now the 13-0 flashes between 13-0 13-1.  The problem was misalignment.  Another problem I also discovered was a broken microswitch on the cash door.  Fiexd both of those problem and Wallaa!!!!!  Machine played fine.......

Now another problem....LOL

After playing for a good while, I went to have a drink.  I come back and try to insert coins, and they fall right through.  I have credits in the machine and they play fine.  Just won't take coins.  I open the door and shut it.  Machine resets and now takes coins again.  This problem continues, varing on how many spins I get before she won't take anymore coins.  Opening and closing the door always fixes that problem.  I inspected the comparitor....I really don't know what I am looking at so......It looks okay, no broken wires, parts or what looks like wear!

So, where do i go from here!

Again, I would not have gotten this far without all this great help!

Thanks
Mike Washington

Im not much on the S+ but how many credits are on the machine when the coins fall straight through?  I believe there is a setting you will need to change but I will defer to the S+ experts or at least someone with more knowledge than I

Someone has to be stupid enough to run into a burning building when everyone else is running out !!
poppo

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2010, 08:39:14 PM »

How many coins do you try before opening the door? Just trying to determine if it's rejecting some or all coins when it wigs out. Next I would try a different coin in the comparator just for the heck of it. Also with power off, I would unplug and reseat the comparator cable.
Mike Washington
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2010, 08:41:56 PM »

I have tried a buttload of coins.  I have switched coins in the comparitor.  Seems to happen randomly.  Coins that it previously took slide through and vica versa.
It also happens with or without credits in the machine.

Thanks
Mike Washington
knagl

Kevin

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2010, 08:44:28 PM »

The Insert Coin light will only come on if the machine is ready to accept a coin.  The machine will only be ready to accept a coin if the optics are working and the machine sees the door as closed, so if the information I quoted is correct, your optics are working.

Ok, I had to double check this. My insert coin light comes on whether the door is open or not (either from a cold power up or opening it after it has been on).

Well that's a dumb design.  Thanks for the correction -- I updated my earlier post.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
poppo

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2010, 08:44:58 PM »

There is a sensitivity adjustment pot on the comparator. You can try cranking it all the way down and see what happens. Maybe it is boarderline and when the machine heats up, it acts up. Opening the door lets the heat out. Just a WAG, but you never know.
knagl

Kevin

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2010, 08:48:35 PM »

There is a sensitivity adjustment pot on the comparator. You can try cranking it all the way down and see what happens.

That's what I'd do.  It may be adjusted to be too sensitive, or it might be an issue with a dirty pot in the thing.  Turn the dial all the way back and forth a few times to make sure it's making a good contact, ending up dialing it away from the plus, then see if your acceptance improves.

Using a tiny screwdriver, adjust that counter-clockwise (away from the +) to make the comparator less sensitive -- that'll let the comparator reject fewer coins.

Understand, too, that your machine will only accept coins up to the maximum number of coins you can wager in a single spin.  Once you've reached that (likely 2 or 3 coins accepted, depending on the kit in your machine) you must spin before you can put more coins in.  You can not add credits to the meter by adding more coins -- the game will only accept (2 or 3) coins -- any additional coins will be rejected to the tray.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 08:57:54 PM by knagl » Logged

stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2010, 10:59:31 PM »

Knagl is right...
Wiggling the sensitivity dial on the coin mech gives it a little bit longer life.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.